Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"

Go down 
+9
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
QuothTheRaven
manny
Leatherface
Required Fields
nevermore
chewie
13 posters
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Empty
PostSubject: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

RIP Sherman Hemsley

.......and check this out:

Quote :

Notes From the Edge

RIP Sherman Hemsley. His character George Jefferson (on "The Jeffersons") probably had little in common musically with that of the actor: Sherman was a huge Yes fan, and I remember a profile on him in TV Guide from the mid-1970s where he was photographed sitting in the lotus position, and the article mentioned how his music of choice was prog rock, including Yes.

I spoke to Sherman on a few occasions when I was running YesWorld, as he somehow got my phone number and asked me to put him in touch with Jon. The following is what I posted to NFTE #213, from February 12, 1999, following one of our conversations (don't know what became of "Festival of Dreams"). High Vibration go on, Sherman, and our hearts go out to his family and friends.

- He gets it all the time. George Jefferson of the '70s TV series "The Jeffersons"...a Yes fan?!? While it's highly unlikely that television character George would be rocking to CTTE, for actor Sherman Hemsley it's something he's enjoyed doing since the album was released in 1972. Before discovering the band Sherman was a keyboardist with a background in jazz, grooving to the likes of Mandrill (whose tune "Universal Rhythms" was an inspiration) and Horace Silver (with his album UNITED STATES of MIND), music that proved influential in introducing him to spirituality and meditation. He soon latched on to progressive rock (he was into Emerson Lake and Palmer prior to Yes: TARKUS is his favorite ELP album), and though his introduction to Yes with FRAGILE was unexceptional due to an abysmal sound system he immediately embraced CTTE. He has been a major fan ever since. (Some Yes vets may recall seeing a TV Guide article on Sherman during "The Jeffersons" heyday; a photo depicted Sherman in a lotus position, and the text described how he embraced spirituality and listened to such "far out sounds" as Nektar...and Yes' TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS.)

While Sherman continues to act (he'll soon be making an appearance on the ABC series "The Hughleys") he is exploring his own musical side: he is in the process of composing a musical titled "Festival of Dreams" with lyrics written by Yes' own Jon Anderson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Another wild story from Daevid Allen of Gong/Soft Machine fame...

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/03/05/george-jefferson-worlds-biggest-gong-fan/
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Apparently, he was a HUGE progressive Rock fan!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 am

I always loved watching The Jeffersons. Never knew he was so into prog-rock. RIP Sherman
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 am

R.I.P.

I actually have a supervisor at work who looks kind of like a white version of him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:04 am

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 am

Growing up I watched 'The Jeffersons', show made me laugh alot as a kid, so thanks for the laughs Sherman Hemsley
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:02 am

Another icon from television gone (the third this summer). I loved him on The Jeffersons and All In The Family.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:35 pm

RIP to a true icon. "Movin' On Up" indeed!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 am

Hmmm, I thought he died awhile ago. I wasn't the biggest Jeffersons fan, but I enjoyed him thoroughly on 'All In The Family'. Rest in peace, Sherman. You and Weezie are reunited in the afterlife.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 am

R.I.P. Mr. Jefferson. Enjoy that deeeeee-luxe apartment in the skyyyyy...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:08 pm

RIP!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm

RIP Enjoyed him as George Jefferson and the character he played on The Fresh Prince as Uncle Phillips's law mentor. Lets also not forget Amen.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:26 am

Oh man I missed this! I loved Sherman Hemsley on The Jeffersons and Amen!

He was one funny dude. He will be missed.

RIP Sherman
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:56 am

another victim of cancer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"   RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Sherman Hemsley aka "George Jefferson"
Page 1 of 1