Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!

Go down 
+9
James B.
RickyR
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
exact33
tohostudios
chewie
manny
Tur-Thalion
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Empty
PostSubject: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Thick As A Brick Part 2 is the sequel to the classic concept album from 1972. Here is a short blurb from Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) who mixed the new album.

I recently had the pleasure of mixing the new Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull album, which is a follow up to the classic Thick as a Brick album from 1972. TAAB2 is very much in the tradition of the first album, a continuous 54 minute concept piece with a similar musical palette and style. It's just been officially announced for release in April as a CD/DVD (including a 5.1 mix and stereo in high res), more details on the Tull website. I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out.

YAY! Not only do we get a new album, but another stellar remix/remaster of the original album by Steven Wilson. 2012 is going to be a good year for music!

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Just saw this on Steven Wilson's facebook update. Normally I'd be skeptical about making a sequel to such a classic, but I trust SW's judgment and if he approves of it, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Ian Anderson is an incredible songwriter, one of my all-time favorites, I have confidence it will be an excellent album.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I am surprised by this, first of all Martin Barrer stated in a website that as far as he and Ian Anderson are concerned there will be no more Jethro Tull studio albums, personally I am glad both men changed their minds and I look forward to the disc.

Here is the link to the interview I am referring to:

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviewmartinbarre2011.htm
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm

I thought that they were done doing studio albums as well.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Eh, I may pick this up but to be honest, my interest in Tull began around Minstrel In The Gallery. The earlier stuff I've heard just doesn't do much for me outside of the "hits" like Bungle In The Jungle, Teacher and the edited version of Thick As A Brick. Aqualung being an early exception.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Ill get it. I pretty much like all the Tull I have heard...

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 am

BTW is this going to be released as a Jethro Tull album or Ian Anderson solo album? The reason I ask is the official Jethro Tull website looks like it is listing it as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson, instead of just plain ole Jethro Tull, also is Martin Barre involved in these recordings?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 am

manny wrote:
BTW is this going to be released as a Jethro Tull album or Ian Anderson solo album? The reason I ask is the official Jethro Tull website looks like it is listing it as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson, instead of just plain ole Jethro Tull, also is Martin Barre involved in these recordings?

Interesting. Isn't it one in the same? Hmmm. I just might give it a try, Tull have some good stuff. Had much of their stuff on vinyl back in the day, and sadly don't have any currently. Need to go shopping.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

wmcollis wrote:
manny wrote:

Interesting. Isn't it one in the same? Hmmm. I just might give it a try, Tull have some good stuff. Had much of their stuff on vinyl back in the day, and sadly don't have any currently. Need to go shopping.

Yes and no, yes because Ian Anderson writes all the songs, but no because Martin Barre has been with the band since 1969 and has been on every album since and is a big part of their sound.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 pm

manny wrote:

It would be kinda dumb to me to release a sequel to a Tull album as a solo artist...
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 pm

exact33 wrote:
manny wrote:

It would be kinda dumb to me to release a sequel to a Tull album as a solo artist...

Can't disagree but never saw any Jethro Tull recording listed as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson.

http://www.j-tull.com/
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:48 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
manny wrote:

Can't disagree but never saw any Jethro Tull recording listed as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson.

http://www.j-tull.com/

Ill white out the Ian Anderson part on the cover and be happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

It's a solo project and will be released as "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson".

Barre is working on a solo album as well. Ian Anderson wrote the original story for Thick As A Brick as well as all the lyrics, thus I have no problem with him following up the story as a solo artist.

He stated in a recent interview that Tull has not broken up, but they are on hiatus for the next 18 months.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
It's a solo project and will be released as "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson".

Barre is working on a solo album as well. Ian Anderson wrote the original story for Thick As A Brick as well as all the lyrics, thus I have no problem with him following up the story as a solo artist.

He stated in a recent interview that Tull has not broken up, but they are on hiatus for the next 18 months.
Well if it's a solo project(without Jethro Tull) then why call it that. confused?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Marketing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Marketing.

yeah. thats my first thought too. The counter to that is most people who would be attracted to that style know Anderson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 am

Anderson also releases solo albums under his own name, but stylistically very different than Tull (mostly orchestral). Thick As A Brick is so associated with the Jethro Tull name it makes sense to include that on this record. Marketing of course plays a part as well.

Of course I'd love it if Barre was involved, but I'm such a fan of Ian's I'm perfectly fine with him revisiting this material in a solo formant.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 9:39 am

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson sounds dumb and awkward.
Back to top Go down
RickyR
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 11:32 am

I hope that the supporting tour in September isn't a political tour. I hate paying to go to concerts that are really political rallies, regardless of which side they are on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi is what it reminds me of.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Now there's two guys that I would like to see making some music together.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

By the way, I was watching Letterman the other night, and found this interesting.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

chewie wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Now there's two guys that I would like to see making some music together.

I know you've seen Rock n Roll Circus by The Rolling Stones.

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 7:21 pm

James B. wrote:

I know you've seen Rock n Roll Circus by The Rolling Stones.

I'm sure most of us have seen it, but it's just Tull with Iommi miming to the original studio recording from This Was. So it doesn't provide us with an idea of what that lineup could have sounded like. But Iommi wasn't happy in the group which is why he left so quickly. Good for us, we got the classic Tull with Martin Barre and all the Sabbath albums. Worked out well for the fans.

I think it would be interesting to hear them collaborate now, two of my favorite musicians.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!   Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thick As A Brick 2 - new Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull album on the way!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next