Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Traditional/ Power Metal

Go down 
+10
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
brokentulsa
Thrasher73
Wurthless
Witchfinder
Lari
Temple of Blood
the sentinel
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Traditional/ Power Metal Empty
PostSubject: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Alright, so many of you have clued me in to some awesome stuff I missed back in the day, so please, educate me some more. Smile
I am already aware of the common names in the genre, so more like Banshee, Shok Paris, Omen, please and thanks to one and all.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Cloven hoof - a sultans ransom
Deadly blessing - ascend from the cauldron
Altered state - demo
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 9:58 pm

I recently bumped the Powergod thread, so why not try that if you haven't already.

As for older stuff... Tarot?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm

Here's some:

Aftershok - Vic Hix's band post Shok Paris

Breaker - band from Cleveland on the Auburn label. One of may all time favorites:

Drive

Griffin

Hexx

Liege Lord

Sortilege - They were a French band, but all of their material was released in both French and English.

Oz

Trance - German traditional metal band

Tyran Pace - Ralf Scheepers on vocals - and yes, this sounds exactly like Priest from 1982

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Sortilege is the best band no one's ever heard of. I couldn't recommend them enough.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 12:04 am

Laaz Rockit started out power metal before becoming more thrash.
Helstar
Riot
Meliah Rage
Winters Bane
Obsession
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 am

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 am

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:09 am

Thank you guys. Some of the links posted I already own but there were some really good ones like Aftershok (haha, I get it now), Tyran Pace, and Hexx. I got lotsa searchin' ta do!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 am

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 am

Seconding the Liege Lord recommendation.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:11 am

Those are all excellent recommendations. So many great bands, not enough resources to collect them all.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:46 am

How about Villian? They were the band Carl Albert was in before Vicious Rumors.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 am

Parish - Ben Jackson's band that released one album in 1995.  It has kind of a progressive/power sound crossed with heavy Dokken.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 2:12 pm

FINAL SIGN
WULFHOOK
REVERENCE
WIDOW
WALPYRGUS
SALVACION
NIGHT DEMON
VISIGOTH
ANCIENT CREATION
RAVENSTHRONE
CAULDRON
CLOVEN ALTAR
RISEN PROPHECY
VOLTURE
AS DARKNESS DIES
OLD WOLF

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 2:14 pm

AMBUSH
STRIKER
ENFORCER
OVERLORDE
AXEMASTER
RUTHLESS

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 pm

SPEEDTRAP
BLACKSLASH
AMULANCE
BATTALION
ZEPHANIAH

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Witchfider - that first tune - Aftershok - that's my tpe of action !
You must have a metal fort knox - so cool Smile
I have only heard of 2 bands, and I thought I was good - lol -
Hellion : screams in the night - and Tyron Pace : long live metal -
oh, and Ambush : king of the dogs
everything else is new to me....a few names looked familuar -
Sawn of Fire, any cd title from those bands you mentioned ?
I'm glad I clicked on this thread !
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

I always get a bit scared when power metal comes up because as I get constantly reminded, I don't really know what it is!  Laughing

But these are all heavy metal lesser lights from the '80s that I've picked up recently

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Seconding the Liege Lord recommendation.

Yup. That one is on the list. I read about them on Ult's site and then listened to that one on the tube. Amazing album.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
How about Villian?  They were the band Carl Albert was in before Vicious Rumors.

Damn! What a voice. Thanks, WF.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm

I was shocked to see that the "Aftershock" album was from 2004. The vibe and sound, to me anyway, is so late '80's. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Here's some:

Breaker - band from Cleveland on the Auburn label.  One of may all time favorites:

Drive

Griffin

Hexx

Liege Lord

Sortilege - They were a French band, but all of their material was released in both French and English.

Oz

Tyran Pace - Ralf Scheepers on vocals - and yes, this sounds exactly like Priest from 1982

The "Aftershok" stuff was great. Definitely on the want list. I liked the second "Breaker" song (Still life) better than the first; but the first is still very good with a memorable chorus. "Drive" was terrific. "Griffin" was okay; I think the production hurts it a bit. The "Hexx" tune smoked! Definitely want more. "Liege Lord" I already know of and love that album. I didn't really care too much for "Oz" and I liked the first "Sortilege" tune better than the second. "Trance" was cool. And the "Tyran Pace" stuff, wow, that first tune was like a long lost outtake from the SFV sessions. The second track had a bit more 70's metal flavor to it. Thanks for the recommendations, sir. It was cool taking the time to listen and research the bands I didn't know. Which was most of them.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 10:21 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Here's some:

Breaker - band from Cleveland on the Auburn label.  One of may all time favorites:

Drive

Griffin

Hexx

Liege Lord

Oz

The "Aftershok" stuff was great. Definitely on the want list. I liked the second "Breaker" song (Still life) better than the first; but the first is still very good with a memorable chorus. "Drive" was terrific. "Griffin" was okay; I think the production hurts it a bit. The "Hexx" tune smoked! Definitely want more. "Liege Lord" I already know of and love that album. I didn't really care too much for "Oz" and I liked the first "Sortilege" tune better than the second. "Trance" was cool. And the "Tyran Pace" stuff, wow, that first tune was like a long lost outtake from the SFV sessions. The second track had a bit more 70's metal flavor to it. Thanks for the recommendations, sir. It was cool taking the time to listen and research the bands I didn't know. Which was most of them.

Glad to be of some assistance.  I threw out a selection because I wasn't sure what you wanted exactly, but I guessed based on previous posts.  

The first two Hexx albums were just reissued in a box set by Metal Blade: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018A29C7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Aftershok is available used on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Breaker, Griffin, and Sortilege might be a bit spendy because they are all out of print.

Tyran Pace should be available used and new for not that much and the same with Trance.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 am

Hexx are good. They moved away from the power metal and went with a more death/thrash sound later on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traditional/ Power Metal   Traditional/ Power Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Traditional/ Power Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next