Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?

Go down 
+13
the sentinel
MetalFRO
mr.electric39
Lurideath
Metal Misfit
mez
Wargod
scottmitchell74
manny
Dave the Boss
kmorg
Temple of Blood
Gilbert
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Empty
PostSubject: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 3:23 am

As much as i enjoy the return of heavy metal to form, i must say that i'm starting to get disappointed with many of the new bands claiming fidelity to old school.

In most of the cases, new bands are nothing but an imitation to the bands we all grew up listening to. Aside the Old school looks, the music actually seems to suffer.

Sure, i was quite happy listening to bands like BULLET. But as long as i can listen to the authentic sound, i have chosen to go back to Accept and AC/DC.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 3:28 am

The whole metal scene is stale with about a dozen or two exceptions.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 am

I agree to some point. Sure, they are imitations of the bands of old. But if you wanna recreate a period, you can't very well be doin' it in creating a new image or sound, now cand you? And how many bands are truly inventive and groundbreaking anyway?

No, my disapintment comes with the "talent" these bands inherits. They just donæt appeal to me, musically. There are some I like, like RAM. But 90% of them just doesn't do anything for me.

Lately I've found myself seeking backwards in metal history instead. Thanks to the discography section here I've been enjoying my favorite bands all over again. And I have also checked out albums that have collected dust for 10 years or more! They give me sooo much more than what is new out there.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 am

Most of those new bands blow imo, there are some of them however that are absolutely stunning. Like RAM, Portrait (total Mercyful Fate worship, great band!), Enforcer (Di'Anno Maiden meets Exciter), Atlantean Kodex (epic heavy metal, ala Manowar, Isen Torr and Solstice), Argus (doomy US heavy metal with lots of Thin Lizzy elements), Dark Forest (NWoBHM worship) and Tales Of Medusa (heavy/speed metal with some doom-like moments).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:08 am

I like some of the bands that try to carry on a traditional metal sound, but I think the main problem, is that you can't recreate an era that is passed by, the times have changed and the world has moved on.

That being said I am going to check out some of the bands Dave the Boss recommended and hopefully can add a few newer bands to my collection.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am

I like what's going on. That doesn't mean it's all great, but I think we live in good metal times.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I like what's going on. That doesn't mean it's all great, but I think we live in good metal times.

I can agree with this statement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:25 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Hear! Hear!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:30 am

I think groups trying to stick completely with a "traditional metal" style usually end up sounding hackneyed. There are of course exceptions, but for the most partI think their vision is a little stilted.

The most interesting metal coming out right now (at least in my opinion) are the "new fusion" bands, groups that aren't afraid to mix together a variety of styles in search of their own thing.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:42 am

I think if put your faith only in traditional metal then it is slow but the other genres of metal are vast. So for me I go to Power, Progressive, Thrash, Glam/Sleaz, AOR....there can alot out there right now.
All of it is not good but at least you have choices!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:50 am

For me the resurrection of the older music coming back has been great, but it really hasn't introduced any new bands that I am aware of that are classic like the old stuff. Instead I have been enjoying the influx of popularity the stuff we all grew up on, is just being recognized again and brings me back to stuff I may have let sit for awhile.

The other positive is some of these bands that are in the dusk of their time, are getting out there and touring or making new music that we can enjoy. Bands like Heaven and Hell are a great example of what I mean. Some bands have just aged like a fine wine.

On the flip side, there have been some other bands that are less popular that I find seem to be jumping above the scene and riding their own train, bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside or Brand New. Not to say this is something on any one heres platter they would like or dislike, but those bands to me are what I would like to see a new genre spawn from, not the crap that is out there now.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 12:54 pm

I recently read something similar to what you guys are saying. Basically, the writer was saying what's the point of going retro unless you're putting a new spin on it and pushing boundaries. I can see the argument for that and I agree it's good to blend old & new, but I also don't see a problem with new bands sounding "old". As long as it's good, so what? 🤘

And don't most fans spend their time whining about how old bands try too hard to modernize and don't look enough towards their own "classics" for inspiration? Razz

By the way, Classic Rock magazine put out an exceptional NWOTM promo disc, here's my review. I think most of those bands are worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Well I don't see much wrong with this new wave of metal. Older bands can't write like this so some one has to right? So let those bands do it! I welcome it!

Just as Metal Misfit said above:

Quote :
"And don't most fans spend their time whining
about how old bands try too hard to modernize and don't look enough
towards their own "classics" for inspiration?"

Very true! Therefore the bands that are writing like the old bands used to sound is a great welcome for metal. That sound and style has been gone from metal for a long time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 12:16 am

Some are very good and I appreciate them keeping the traditional metal flag high.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:08 am

I'm not disappointed there are so many bands to choose from. Whether it's new material by Saxon or Maiden... Or bands I haven't been totally familiar with such as Theocracy or Hammerfall or Stratovarius just finding older releases is very cool....

I bascially missed the 90's (different period of life) so anything that squeaked out then I missed..... But there is just so much stuff, at least to me.... Primal Fear....

headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

I agree that we live in good metal times. I think the openness of metal has been a lot better. Sure, there will always be "old-schoolers" who can't handle anything else mixed in w/ their metal (shudder at the likes of Rammstein, Stuck Mojo, or anything else non-traditional), and those that rep the new stuff but discount the old metal (lame, out-dated, etc). However, I think w/ the internet more people can see that the evolution of metal has been a vast one, and that there's nothing wrong w/ liking Manowar and Opeth at the same time. Nor is there a problem being a fan of Korn at the same time you're digging Darkthrone. Metal fans are more open now, and as a result we're seeing lots of great music. Once I can learn guitar I want to do a classic American metal band: something that sonds just like it was recorded in 1984 or 1985 like classic Metal Church, Armored Saint, early Liege Lord, that sort of thing. But I also want to do a shoegazer project, some indie rock, some 70's type rock, some death metal, and a bunch of other stuff. I think it's a lot better time to be a metalhead because you're not looked at like a complete freak any longer, nor do other metalheads ostracize you in the same way if you have broad tastes. They just take the metal attitude of "who cares" and like what they like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:47 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
I think if put your faith only in traditional metal then it is slow but the other genres of metal are vast. So for me I go to Power, Progressive, Thrash, Glam/Sleaz, AOR....there can alot out there right now.
All of it is not good but at least you have choices!

Wargod50

Very well stated. I am currently immersed in the Power and Progressive branches of the Heavy Metal Tree. Peace.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 am

I am wainting for those new bands to take over the old bands. Bullet is one of those bands I want to make it big, there is also warbringer, and merciless death that are strating up and are great. But I see that very few bands are taking the traditional metal styles these days. Most of the new bands go for the modern power metal sound and thrash metal style. But the few bands like Bullet and Airborne are to be admired for that reason
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree and the reason is because the 70's and 80's were the true time of creating this art and now it's been run dry with mediocre ideas.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 am

I find myself looking to the few veteran bands that are making consistant records like Overkill, Testament, Slayer and Flotsam & Jetsam. Ultimatum is oldschool in their approach so i give them points for that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 am

The newer bands lack any character that the older bands had like Bobby Blitz, Chuck Billy, Zetro, Tom Araya... they're all just "garage screamers" that never took their voices to the next level (personality). Where's the next Eric AK...or the next Russ Anderson?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 am

metalFRO wrote:
Sure, there will always be "old-schoolers" who can't handle anything else mixed in w/ their metal (shudder at the likes of Rammstein, Stuck Mojo, or anything else non-traditional),

(Raises hand) Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
metalFRO wrote:
Sure, there will always be "old-schoolers" who can't handle anything else mixed in w/ their metal (shudder at the likes of Rammstein, Stuck Mojo, or anything else non-traditional),

(Raises hand) Laughing

I used to like Stuck Mojo mainly because Rich Ward is a cool player but the rapping began to get on my nerves.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I'd be curious as to who you consider the exceptions...not trying to bait you, I'm seriously curious.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I'd be curious as to who you consider the exceptions...not trying to bait you, I'm seriously curious.

Temple of Blood, of course!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?   Disappointing new wave of traditional metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointing new wave of traditional metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next