Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+56
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
candlemass
DallasBlack
glassprison
HeavyThrashhead
DevZor
tohostudios
7thSecond
Aaron_D
Wurthless
Addy
Mglaffas81
John Madden
Louder
ShadowAngel
Lari
akeldama
Thrasher73
Vexer6
Thelemech
nevermore
bgsully
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
A Handful of Wayne
kyleblack
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
mlotek
Troublezone
Runicen
Required Fields
mc666
DakotaRogers
chewie
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
exact33
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Sword Of The Heretic
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
James B.
MetalRob331
Eyesore
Boris2008
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
BearOnUnicycle
manny
thejokeriv
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

All things Metallica - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Now that they are in the midst of remastering all their albums, I'm sure they'll remix AJFA and we'll all run out and buy it because we are suckers.

I would buy it because I'd really want to know how it sounded different.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Now that they are in the midst of remastering all their albums, I'm sure they'll remix AJFA and we'll all run out and buy it because we are suckers.

I would buy it because I'd really want to know how it sounded different.

Anything that finally makes that record listenable will get my money.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I don't think it held back sales.

Obviously not. Very Happy

It was simply "their" time. That album could've been an hour of the band members farting into kazoos and banging on major appliances with sticks and it still would've sold like cold beer on a hot day.

They didn't make that record for another 15 years!  Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I don't think it held back sales.

Obviously not. Very Happy

It was simply "their" time. That album could've been an hour of the band members farting into kazoos and banging on major appliances with sticks and it still would've sold like cold beer on a hot day.

They didn't make that record for another 15 years!  Laughing very hard

lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 3:52 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I've never heard the problem with Justice.

I have to say I've never noticed the lack of bass. I'll have to give it a closer listen next time. And probably once I do, I'll always be able to pick it out and let it bother me !
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm

007 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

I have to say I've never noticed the lack of bass. I'll have to give it a closer listen next time. And probably once I do, I'll always be able to pick it out and let it bother me !

I am sure we've talked about it before, but there are Guitar Hero versions of AJFA tracks that have audible bass - someone compiled these tracks and enhanced (more like played over) the bass on the rest of the AJFA tracks and called it And Just For Jason. It's been floating around for years on the interwebs. Check it out:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
007 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

I am sure we've talked about it before, but there are Guitar Hero versions of AJFA tracks that have audible bass - someone compiled these tracks and enhanced (more like played over) the bass on the rest of the AJFA tracks and called it And Just For Jason.  It's been floating around for years on the interwebs.  Check it out:

Metallica Guitar Hero was what made me realise that there were good songs on AJFA after all.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich was responsible for turning down the sound of Jason Newsted’s bass on 1988’s …And Justice For All, according to mixing engineer Steve Thompson.

He was behind the desk at Bearsville Studios, New York overseeing the final stages of the album, which has often been criticised for its lack of audible bass.

And Thompson insists that while he was happy with the bass sound when mixing the record, it was Ulrich who wanted it reduced.

He tells Ultimate Guitar: “What I wanted to do and what Lars wanted to do was totally different, which kind of upset me a little bit. I loved Metallica and was very familiar with them.

“I listened to the tracks and said to myself, ‘These sound like ass.’ I chased everybody out of the room and redesigned the drum sound and brought the guitars up. Jason Newsted killed it on bass. Perfect marriage with Hetfield's guitars.

“Lars comes walking in a couple of minutes later and listens to about a minute of it and goes, ‘Turn that off. What happened to my drum sound?’

“We had to get the drum sound up the way he had it. I wasn't a fan of it. So now he goes, ‘See the bass guitar?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, great part, man. He killed it.’ Lars said, ‘I want you to bring down the bass where you can barely, audibly hear it in the mix.’ I said, 'You're kidding, right?'"

Thompson was so concerned by the move that he called the band’s managers Cliff Burnstein and Peter Mensch that night and threatened to walk away from the project.

He continues: “I said, ‘I love these guys. I think they’re amazing and they’ve created a genre of their own but I do not agree with the direction Lars is pulling me in. My name’s going to go on it so why don’t you find somebody else?’

He was persuaded to stay but Thompson says he regrets not getting the sound the album deserved.

He adds: “My only regret is that we didn't have enough time to at least mix it the way we heard it. I wanted to take Master Of Puppets and blow that away.

Piggybacking on this story a bit more. This was from a Yahoo article I just read.

Steve Thompson also had this to say:

The producer said that Ulrich had apparently forgotten the episode when, years later at Metallica's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, he asked Thompson why the bass was inaudible.

"I wanted to cold-cock him right there. It was a shame because I'm the one getting the shit for the lack of bass," Thompson said. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 am

And Justice for All is their best album. In my opinion, it's a masterpiece. I love the first three albums, but they peaked on Justice. It's a brilliant album. And I love the mix. Don't care. Sounds great to my ears. And Lars's playing, as I've stated before, is phenomenal on this album. These days he's a pale shade of what he once, but his work on this album is some of the best drumming ever recorded on a metal album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 am

Oh yeah, it's definitely his best drumming.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

A guy I used to work with years ago told me that he heard that the drums on Justice were pieced together from multiple takes because Lars couldn't get it right.

Anyone else ever hear that rumor?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 12:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

A guy I used to work with years ago told me that he heard that the drums on Justice were pieced together from multiple takes because Lars couldn't get it right.

I actually think I read that on here, but I could be wrong. It's definitely not the first time I heard it though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 12:44 pm

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I actually think I read that on here, but I could be wrong. It's definitely not the first time I heard it though.

It's possible I asked that question here before, but I don't recall if anyone could confirm or deny that rumor.

Another thing I remember about the drumming on that album was that folks complained about the sound of the snare drum. It never bothered me, but I remember guys b*tching about it when that album was new.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It's possible I asked that question here before, but I don't recall if anyone could confirm or deny that rumor.

Another thing I remember about the drumming on that album was that folks complained about the sound of the snare drum. It never bothered me, but I remember guys b*tching about it when that album was new.

I've heard that rumor and also the rumor that Lars didn't even play on the record. I know he was actually taking drum lessons at the time.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:14 pm

I just heard that someone held his cymbal so he could do those cymbal chokes in Dyers Eve.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
also the rumor that Lars didn't even play on the record.

Hmmm, never heard that one before. And since we're on the subject of Lars and his drumming, Scott Ian confirmed in his book another long-standing rumor that I had heard before.

According to Scott, Anthrax were opening for Metallica on their European tour. One night, he ran into Cliff and Kirk outside their hotel and Cliff said they were going to dump Lars and look for a new drummer after they finished the tour. The tour continued, Cliff died and everyone flew home. Later on, James also told Scott that dumping Lars was the plan, but obviously everything changed.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Didn't Ian deny that at the time when Mustaine said it in an interview and it caused a stink?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Didn't Ian deny that at the time when Mustaine said it in an interview and it caused a stink?

He addresses that in his book too. According to Ian, he told that story to Dave in casual conversation and then Dave went and re-told it in an interview somewhere, thinking it was public knowledge, which it wasn't at the time.

I had heard the story years ago, before the internet and whatnot. I don't remember who the source of it was. It was just like "Dude, I heard they were going to fire Lars anyway, but then Cliff died". Noone in particular was given credit for the rumor or how or when it started.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Just makes you think what kind of Metallica would be around today if they did fire Lars and Cliff never died.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
007 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

I am sure we've talked about it before, but there are Guitar Hero versions of AJFA tracks that have audible bass - someone compiled these tracks and enhanced (more like played over) the bass on the rest of the AJFA tracks and called it And Just For Jason.  It's been floating around for years on the interwebs.  Check it out:

Metallica Guitar Hero was what made me realise that there were good songs on AJFA after all.

Wow. That has opened my eyes to something very important: apparently bass players are not important at all. Ha. Just kidding. But for real, I hear such a little difference on that clip. I mean, I can kinda hear something sounds different or something?

I can't imagine hearing Justice, the normal version, and being like, "this sucks!" and then hearing that and being like, "oh, whoops, it's actually not bad with someone playing bass along with it."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 pm

That "and justice for jason" thing is just some random dude that recorded his own bass parts and mixed them into the song.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

S.D. wrote:
That "and justice for jason" thing is just some random dude that recorded his own bass parts and mixed them into the song.  

Some of those songs are using Jason's actual bass parts from the Guitar Hero game.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yup, but it's nonsense made up by Lars haters. He played every note live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm sure he played every note live, but they were already cutting and pasting numerous takes together and punching in specific parts, so one completed song could have elements from 20 different takes. Not uncommon at all for major studio albums during that era. Remember the scene in A Year In The Half In The Life Of Metallica where they show them loading an entire van full of reels with various drum fills and takes on their way to mixing? Same thing with Justice.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
007 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Wow. That has opened my eyes to something very important: apparently bass players are not important at all. Ha. Just kidding. But for real, I hear such a little difference on that clip. I mean, I can kinda hear something sounds different or something?

I can't imagine hearing Justice, the normal version, and being like, "this sucks!" and then hearing that and being like, "oh, whoops, it's actually not bad with someone playing bass along with it."
Well as hard as it is to imagine, that's exactly what happened. I was an absolute Metallica nut up to the release of AJFA and hearing it killed my love for them stone dead for a while. There were a lot of other factors, by the time it came out I was far more into punk and I'd seen them live the year before and for the first time they sucked and I thought that the record sounded horrible (still do). By the time Metallica Guitar Hero came out I was back into metal and the songs from AJFA didn't sound as horrible as I'd remembered so I actually gave the songs a chance, I still think that the songs are nowhere near the two preceding records but the playing is undeniably superior.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 7 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next