Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom

Go down 
+10
mikeinfla
Ted Kirkpatrick
scottmitchell74
corplhicks
DakotaRogers
Rex
oldschooldoom
Thrasher73
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Rami Airola
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Empty
PostSubject: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 7:08 pm

So, the album has been released today.
You can listen to it at Tourniquet's Bandcamp site:
https://tourniquet.bandcamp.com/album/onward-to-freedom

What do you think of it?

After first listen, I was actually somewhat disappointed, which has never ever happened with a Tourniquet/Kirkpatrick record before (yes, I even liked ODE TO A ROADKILL and ANCIENT CHRISTMAS).

Now going through it again... Sounds better...

Maybe the initial disappointment was because I tried to read the lyrics at the same time and my focus went on those, and frankly I find the lyrics not really good. It hasn't got anything to do with the theme, I support it, but the lines are quite awkward when read (they don't sound as bad when listened someone singing them). They just don't have much creativity at all. It comes more apparent when listening to STEREOTAXIC ATROCITIES - yeah, it's been remade for this album - which has a thousand times more clever and thought-out lyrics than the new songs have. The lyrics in the new songs have lines that look mostly like ordinary sentences with some rhyming. Something that he could say to an interviewer when asked about these subjects. Maybe that's a style he was intentionally going for... I don't know... But then again, ever since Where Moth and Rust Destroy, Ted's lyrics have had more and more of that kind of stuff, with some clever stuff here and there, but now this album is almost 100% that lyrical style.

It really starts to sound better now. The title track, which was some time ago released as the single, might still be the best track on this album. I'm hearing more and more good moments in other songs though. LET THE WILD JUST BE WILD sounds pretty good. This Gabbie Rae is really good! Along with Michael Sweet, she does the best vocals in the whole album.

....yeah... starting to like it much more now.... however, I think I'm never going to like CAGE23 which ends the album. It's a "happier sounding" soft pop rock song somewhat in the vein of TWILIGHT.

Well.... maybe I just proved myself that, as a person who rarely is interested in lyrics, I should always just listen to the music and only later check out the lyrics if I'm interested enough in them. This is now really starting to sound way much better without the "lyric-reading" in the way of my focus on the music.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 8:50 pm

I love everything I am listening to. Glad Ted is still all about Animal Rights. The Michael Sweet stuff is really damn good too.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm really starting to like this.

The only song I'm still not very fond of is the final track. All the others are very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 am

I was surprised at how much I like it.I didn't have very high hopes for this but the songs sound really good.Ill be getting this album.
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm

I was bracing myself when clicking on this topic here as every else it is getting bashed.
But I see a lot of likers here.

I've given this new album one spin as mostly background music while surfing the net.
What I've heard I like a lot.
I like the gentle intro and not being assaulted upon the ears from the get go.
I like the incredible guest appearances.
And of course, I like the metal.
Another TQT/Teddy project full of anti animal abuse lyrics. That's fine with me, but I can agree with some critics that feel there could be more variety.
There is some uncertainty whether to classify this as a pure TQT album or a Ted album. Both appear on the cover.

Last edited by oldschooldoom on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 1:00 pm

I listened to it once on Spotify and I really liked it. It was waaaay better than I thought it might be after Ode to a Roadkill. I understand now why he wanted the Tourniquet name on it instead of just his name. It really does sound like a latter day TqT album with a load of guest musicians on it versus it just being a solo Ted album.

Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 7:06 pm

If you're gonna start up a side project, stop pimping your own band name for 5 seconds, so you don't confuse everyone!

I don't know though, this was a tough Tourniquet album to wrap my head around... Probably due to the style change from song-to-song, but the variety was very much appreciated. Personally, I'd rate it slightly below "Where Moth and Rust Destroy," but who knows how I'll feel after a few more listens.

High Points:
•a plethora of vocal styles/vocalists to please even the pickiest of listener.
•they didn't go overboard with the song lengths, album is an appropriate 48 minutes.
•some of the lyrics tug at my heart strings like one of those damned ASPCA commercials.
•Ted Kirkpatrick's drumming.
•this phenomenal Gabbie Rae person that I have literally never heard of before until now.
•"The Slave Ring": that chorus is classic Tourniquet.
•"Let the Wild Just be Wild": the lyrics are meh, but those soaring vocals... damn.
•Marty Friedman and Chris Poland!

Low Points:
•a below average title track, which is a first for Tourniquet, really.
•Ed Aster delivers a great monologue on track #4, but just as the suspense builds and the goosebumps dot my arms, it's COMPLETELY RUINED, by this BS at the 2:10 mark.
•the new version of "Stereotaxic Atrocities."

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Careful what you say about Luke Easter. He'll catch wind and come here to fight. Just check the locked RIP threads if you don't believe me haha.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Just listened to this on the link above...

Fantastic album! I'll be getting this. However, it is annoyingly heavy-handed. Musically, though, this is one of the best yet by TQT. Actually won't end up thinking of this as a TQT album, but more of some kind of all-star metal album with Tourniquet logo on it.

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Careful what you say about Luke Easter. He'll catch wind and come here to fight. Just check the locked RIP threads if you don't believe me haha.

Oh wow... This I have to see.

No disrespect to the guy, as this is one of my favorite bands ever, but very rarely can you rerecord one of your classic songs and really do it justice.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 am

corplhicks wrote:

Oh yeah,Luke has stopped in here before and use to frequent the CMR board as well.He may be a good dude in real life I don't know but he comes across different on the net.I have nothing against the guy and like all the stuff he's done with Tourniquet.But to me the best Tourniquet lineup is Ritter,Lenaire,Macias,Kirkpatrick,and Mendes.
Speaking of which Gary said he was all for a reunion.Id love to see that.
Back to top Go down
Ted Kirkpatrick
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Hey everyone - cool reading the comments! There are many facets to this album - here is one answer that I already posted on our Facebook page. Some of you are asking: Is this a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album or a Tourniquet album? Can I say “It's both”? Originally it was announced on the Kickstarter campaign (thanks again everybody!) under the name The Tourniquet Ark. It turns out many people - Tourniquet fans and others - understandably were a little confused as to what exactly that meant. So it seemed even more confusing to release it under that name, which still has the word Tourniquet in it anyway, plus a logo using elements of the classic Tourniquet logo.

In defense of using the iconic Tourniquet logo, for starters, Luke and Aaron are on the album (and they sound great). Secondly, because of the overall message of the tunes, there will be thousands of people checking it out who have never heard of Tourniquet until now. I'm confident many of them will then continue to check out all of our Tourniquet catalog, as opposed to just knowing this is an album by Ted Kirkpatrick. Third, it's a metal album – not a “stoner” album or a “drumming” album, and since I have written the overall vast majority of our songs since day one of Tourniquet, fans will likely hear it and say “yep, that's Tourniquet – but with a cool unique sound, due in part to so many amazing guest artists.

Make sense or more confused than ever? Haha – thanks for reading and get ready for Onward to Freedom! - Ted
Back to top Go down
Ted Kirkpatrick
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 pm

One reviewer said this:  “Listening to “Onward to Freedom” features as much Kirkpatrick and company’s ability to play almost anything from Classical to the heaviest of metal, but also showcases their ability to forge through this literal kaleidoscope of sound quite well – surprisingly well when you consider that in the end that this is still vintage Tourniquet.”
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Actually what I find hillarious is that Ted is a "Metal Novice" lol!

Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Ted
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for coming around, rook! Laughing

Thanks for answering some questions, and for letting us know some of the thoughts that go behind the name, art, etc...

Looking forward to owning a hard copy!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 6:20 pm

I need to check this out! The Roadkill album was boring to me. I like most stoner/fuzz rock, but not the ultra-slow sleepy stuff.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Another "celebrity" guest on HoM! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 7:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Another "celebrity" guest on HoM! headbanger

I know, it's hard to contain my inner fanboy. silent
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Thank you Ted for providing clarity.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for dropping in and explaining some things Ted.Hopefully you will come back often and see us.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Welp...went and ordered mine. If fact, went for the two-for deal.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I enjoy a few riffs here and there. A few guitar solo's kicked ass. A few drum fills were bad ass, but I am not liking this other than that at all.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for popping in, Ted. I, personally, have been pushing your latest effort as the best since "Moth".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Listening to it now; quite enjoyable and diverse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 3:53 am

I haven't heard a lot past the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom   Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tourniquet / Ted Kirkpatrick - Onward to Freedom
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next