Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN

Go down 
+2
krokus
Fat Freddy
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Empty
PostSubject: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Just curious if anyone here is familiar with this now-defunct US power metal band featuring Toby Knapp on guitars and Michael Grant (now in Crescent Shield) on vocals. They released two pretty killer CDs on Century Media in the early 00s (EVERMOVING and REAWAKEN), but then the band split up when CM suddenly dropped them in 2003.

After the band's breakup, Knapp was selling a CD for a while through the Onward website consisting of the demos for what would've become their third album (THE NEVERENDING SUN) so I ordered one. Pretty cool stuff, even if the packaging was el-cheapo (see pic below)

Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN 26443

Pretty cheesy, but hey, it came with a hand written "thanks for your support" note from Toby Knapp himself, so I'm not complaining. Laughing

So anyway, since I'm currently addicted to CDBaby, I'm trolling thru the metal titles there and suddenly I stumble across a new, offical-release version of THE NEVERENDING SUN that I never knew existed. It looks like it's got a full color cover and booklet now, and there appear to be three extra songs on this version that aren't on the earlier CD, instead of the three god-awful sub-bootleg quality live songs on the one I have. (see pic)

Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Onward

Does anybody out there have this "second edition" of the disc? Are the songs remastered/remixed in any way? (the sound quality of the original CD I have is actually pretty good, considering they're just demos, but it would be cooler if they were tweaked a little.) Is it worth picking up this new edition even though I already own 90% of the stuff on it? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 pm

I dont have that cd but of course its worth buying it again. It got different artwork and that is always a good thing for buying a cd again.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm waiting for that CD from a trader. If that fails, I'll order it! GREAT band!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 12:14 pm

kmorg wrote:
I'm waiting for that CD from a trader. If that fails, I'll order it! GREAT band!

Cool, another Onward fan! I thought I was the only one. cool

But yea, GREAT band, I agree... unfortunately they got cut down in their prime. Knapp was talking about re-forming Onward with an all new lineup a year or so ago but I don't think anything ever came of it. Probably for the best.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 pm

I have the other two albums and like them. Don't pull them out that much, but I dig it! Haven't heard this one though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Here's where y'all can find the NEVERENDING SUN disc on CDBaby if you're interested:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/onward

I'll probably get round to this one next time I order from them.

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:23 am

I have Evermoving and it's pretty good stuff. I'm a huge Crescent Shield fan, so
I had an interest nin checking them out.....sort of backwards.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 3:55 am

http://www.opengraveshop.com

It's $6 from that site. Comes free with stale cigarette smoke smell, too. Awesome!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:37 am

Eyesore wrote:

It's $6 from that site. Comes free with stale cigarette smoke smell, too. Awesome!

hahaha, they can send it to me free when they finally get that Once Dead CD out!! I paid for that CD for at least a year and a half ago! It's number 10 on their bestseller list, and it's not even out yet!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Good band, I saw them at the Milwaukee Metalfest one year.-TJ
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Sweet! And they've got that "Anal Gorec*m P*ssflap Slap" CD I've been looking EVERYWHERE for too!! (hahaha)

I'm guessing they don't get a lotta power metal fan-traffic on that particular distro site, hence the reason the Onward disc is so cheap there... thanx for the tip Eye.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 9:20 pm

He's got some good discs in that discount section. I just bought an Ivanhoe CD from him last night, and they're not easy to come by. So there's some good stuff there, you just take a chance of getting cancer when opening the package.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 10:50 am

Kmorg, did you ever get the "new and improved" version of this Onward disc you were waiting for? If so, what's the verdict? Is it good enough for me to buy again?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Kmorg, did you ever get the "new and improved" version of this Onward disc you were waiting for? If so, what's the verdict? Is it good enough for me to buy again?
I'm curious about both versions now. I picked up Reawaken recently and it's pretty badass!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm curious about both versions now. I picked up Reawaken recently and it's pretty badass!

Yea, I saw the review you wrote of it on your blog, that's what made me resurrect this old thread. I'm thinking of placing a new CDBaby order this week and this Onward disc may be on it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I saw the review you wrote of it on your blog, that's what made me resurrect this old thread. I'm thinking of placing a new CDBaby order this week and this Onward disc may be on it.
The guitarist made a blog post in March offering it for $6. I sent him a message asking what version he was referring to. Might be better to wait until he writes back...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Interesting. I just got Cypher Seer today and it's the same singer from Onward! Wacky and weird coinkedink.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Yes, Cypher Seer is pretty great as well. Just listened to that yesterday or the day before and was smartly rocked!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 5:32 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Yes, Cypher Seer is pretty great as well. Just listened to that yesterday or the day before and was smartly rocked!
It's sounding pretty sweet to my ears.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm

I like that Grant guy. I have Crescent Shield as well and his vocals are a big draw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 6:03 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I like that Grant guy. I have Crescent Shield as well and his vocals are a big draw.
He's in that band, too? Nice. That's been on my want list ever since it came out.

Wait...now that I think about it, I may own that one at this point. Hmmm. I'll have to remember to check at home...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm

It's my favorite of the three bands I have that he sings in.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 9:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Yes, I did get it. But I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm

No Crescent Shield. =(
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm

You'll have to pay for that one, I'm afraid. I couldn't get it for less than $11-12, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN   Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Onward - THE NEVERENDING SUN
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: