Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which SAVATAGE Next -

Go down 
+13
Lari
DallasBlack
powermacho
Citanul
Spiner202
Gilbert
BearOnUnicycle
chewie
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Required Fields
tohostudios
Glower
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

Which SAVATAGE Next - Empty
PostSubject: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 pm

It's been real stormy the last few days in New England -
Rain - wind - leaves - broken tree limbs - closed roads - nor easter thing
And I have been listening to Savatage in my car during all this -
Hall Of The Mountain King and Power Of The Night CD's
What is their 3rd best release - ?
Thanks as always
listening to music
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

I'd say Gutter Ballet.  But then I have a soft spot for that album because it was my introduction to the band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Sirens!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 9:07 pm

^^They're both right haha. But seriously I'd say Sirens. It's my overall favorite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

If you get Sirens you MUST get the even better The Dungeons Are Calling EP, from the same recording sessions.

Then get Gutter Ballet.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Get the Sirens/Dungeons two on one CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Are-Calling-Savatage/dp/B003ELZKZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414118013&sr=8-1&keywords=savatage+sirens

If you can't get that, get either Sirens or Dungeons. I actually prefer Dungeons. After that pick up Gutter Ballet.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Definitely Sirens.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 12:40 am

I'd say Gutter Ballet is their best overall, and it certainly fits the mood better.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 3:20 am

sirens for sure.
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 8:12 am

After Hall of the Mountain King my favourites are Gutter Ballet, Edge of Thorns, and Handful of Rain. The last of those albums is a really fantastic, underrated experience in their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Get the Sirens/Dungeons two on one CD: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Are-Calling-Savatage/dp/B003ELZKZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414118013&sr=8-1&keywords=savatage+sirens

If you can't get that, get either Sirens or Dungeons.  I actually prefer Dungeons.  After that pick up Gutter Ballet.  

I would go with this. Gutter Ballet was where their sound started to change, so it's probably a good idea to finish up with the albums prior to that (apart from Fight For The Rock) before moving onto the later ones.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

Just bought Sirens / Dungeons - guess it was the same recording studio in 1983-84 ?
Did someone from Savatage die before their time ?
Not bad - over 60 minutes of tunes - will keep `Gutters` in mind in the future -
Was 'Madmen and Poets' any good - I once heard it at a record store, playing over the speakers -
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm

edge of storms is my fave. Jon Olivas Pain(GLOBAL WARNING, TAH MAHAL) albums are as good as SAVATAGE albums, and doctor butcher-doctor butcher is another great album that could rival savatage albums
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 pm

To me there is not a bad Savatage album but I suggest Streets and Gutter Ballet for the Jon stuff and Edge Of Thorns for the Zak stuff.

And yes, guitarist and brother of Jon, Criss was killed by a drunk driver. From wikipedia:

Quote :
On October 17, 1993, at around 3 a.m., Criss and his wife Dawn were driving north on Highway 301 on his way to the Fourth Annual Livestock Festival held in Zephyrhills, Florida, just north of Tampa. An oncoming car operated by a drunk driver crossed the median and struck Criss' 1982 Mazda RX-7 head-on, killing him instantly. The drunk driver, who had seven prior drunk driving (DUI) convictions, survived with minor injuries and was later found guilty of DUI manslaughter, DUI serious injury and vehicular homicide, serving 18 months in prison of a five-year sentence."

I believe Criss' wife, who was badly injured, died in 2005, I believe from her injuries. Jon still apparently has a hard time with it from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Criss' death has always been the hardest for me to shrug off as he was one of the most innovative guitarists in metal and had incredible performance charisma. That was a f*cking huge "way-too-soon" moment.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't know what's their third best release, but the Wake of Magellan is their best! And possibly the best music album ever to be released.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 am

tohostudios wrote:
I'd say Gutter Ballet.  But then I have a soft spot for that album because it was my introduction to the band.

Same here
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 2:10 am

corplhicks wrote:
Criss' death has always been the hardest for me to shrug off as he was one of the most innovative guitarists in metal and had incredible performance charisma. That was a f*cking huge "way-too-soon" moment.

Here here! He remains my favorite guitarists of all time. Nobody in heavy metal could make the guitar sing like he did. After reading the wikipedia entry, I think it's utter bullshit his killer got away with a slap on the wrist. 18 months of a five year sentence?! After seven DUIs?! No wonder Jon still has a hard time with it, no justice was ever served.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 10:22 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Here here! He remains my favorite guitarists of all time. Nobody in heavy metal could make the guitar sing like he did. After reading the wikipedia entry, I think it's utter bullshit his killer got away with a slap on the wrist. 18 months of a five year sentence?! After seven DUIs?! No wonder Jon still has a hard time with it, no justice was ever served.

Wow, that just makes me angry. For the past few years it seems every drunk driver who's killed a person gets thirty to life. 18 months?! Were times just different back then? I at least hope the f*cker lives with a guilty conscience these days. Seven DUIs, Christ...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 am

They most certainly do not get 30 to life.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

We've had about one DUI-related death a month here in the central valley. They have almost always gotten 30 to life. Good judicial system, I guess. Witchfinder may know more about it.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Vicious Rumors dedicated the song "Thunder and Rain" to Chriss on their World of Mouth album in 1994. From what I've read they were friends with 'tage. And then Carl Albert - the singer - dies in a car accident in 1995. That was just wrong. An amazing guitarist and one of the most charismatic voices in metal. What were the chances? Life sucks sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

We've had about one DUI-related death a month here in the central valley. They have almost always gotten 30 to life. Good judicial system, I guess. Witchfinder may know more about it.

I don't really do any DUI related work, but I when I was in law school I clerked at a criminal law firm. The person in the Criss Oliva case was only charged with manslaughter which is a much lesser charge than murder. Also, that 5 year sentence was probably the max for manslaughter at the time in Florida where Criss was killed. Chances are the law has changed since then for death caused by DUI. It was cases like the Oliva case that has led to much lengthier prison sentences for death caused by DUI. A quick check of Florida law shows that this is indeed the case in Florida and a manslaughter DUI can lead to life in prison.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 pm

dungeons are calling is also one of my favourite albums ever.

raw and heavy. highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which SAVATAGE Next -   Which SAVATAGE Next - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which SAVATAGE Next -
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next