Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage

Go down 
+19
Wurthless
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
Stender
candlemass
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Citanul
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
nevermore
QuothTheRaven
Eyesore
sovdat
Lari
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Runicen
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 11:51 am

Somehow, they've never just gotten a thread of their own, so I figured I'd start one.

Anyway, I'm spinning Handful of Rain and it occurs to me that most of the Zak songs had to exist in some form sung by Jon since he wrote everything with Paul O'Neill first. Not sure about everyone else here, but I'd love to hear those demos. I suspect the closest we'll get are Jon's acoustic versions from the last wave of reissues, but it'd still be cool.

Also along these lines, there are some songs which I'm just about sure Zak was the better fit, vocally, for; but there are just as many I don't think Zak pulls off and which I wish we had proper Jon-sung versions.

I guess I'm just getting down to wishing they'd carried through on the original plan (as told by Jon) which was for the band to have two lead vocalists after Jon took his break while they toured Edge of Thorns. That would have been a powerful damn band. Wake of Magellan is really the closest we get to that and I don't think it's coincidence that it's the strongest Zak-era album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 12:17 pm

By shear coincidence, last night Savatage and TSO played at Wacken last night. Savatage played a 40 minute set on Stage 1, then TSO played a 40 minute set on Stage 2. Then both bands played side-by-side for the finale. Now that's METAL!!

There is plenty of crappy cell phone footage of it here if you want...
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/savatage-reunites-for-wacken-open-air-festival-performance-video-available/

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Holy friggin' balls~! I really hope they recorded that show.

So, I suppose Jon wasn't just blowing smoke when he said a few years ago that a Savatage reunion would have to be at the level of TSO. Only at Wacken!

And that's a hell of a finale that they played for an hour together. That sound guy must have soiled his pants at least once.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Now that would have been awesome to see in person. Amazing !
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm

If this is the last word on Savatage, I do hope there's a live album/video for it, but this is the right way to put the name to bed.
Back to top Go down

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 2:44 pm

If Jon is singing I'm interested. That statement holds true of my opinion regarding the studio albums as well.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 3:03 pm

He's doing a LOT of singing here. Even in the TSO unison set, he's used pretty well. Cool to hear him duet with the TSO guy on Believe. Having that touch makes it easier for me to accept someone else singing on it.

And, I'll be honest, it's just damn cool to see Jon playing to a big damn crowd again. Not that I minded the intimacy of a theater gig when I saw him, but it just seems like he BELONGS there.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 pm

That really is crappy cell phone footage but how awesome is that? I hope it's not the end.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan are both great, partially because of the way they used two different lead vocalists almost equally.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 3:23 pm

This year's Wacken was sold out in seconds as Savatage were confirmed last year. I hope they will do a regular tour too (without the orchestra). Would love to see 'em playing some songs off first 2 albums and Dungeons EP, as they started with stuff from Mountain King on WOA.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 4:37 pm

I love both eras of the band. Hard to compare the two, though, as not only are they different vocally, but musically as well.

Would have been great to be at Wacken this year, though. Bands simply don't do shows like that anymore. It's why I think the TSO shows are so badass.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 pm

I really, really hope they release this as a DVD/CD combo for those of us stateside who can't get to Wacken. Actually, even if I were there I think I'd want a DVD/CD combo release!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I really, really hope they release this as a DVD/CD combo for those of us stateside who can't get to Wacken. Actually, even if I were there I think I'd want a DVD/CD combo release!

That would be awesome!! Hopefully it happens!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 11:29 pm

Would love to have been there. I really hope they release that footage properly.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Really hoping for a Blu Ray of this gig!!!!!! Or at least a boot of pro-shot footage!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 pm

The two bands performing together is something that seems tailor-made for a DVD release, as you could conceivably have the option of watching either of the two on their own, or an edit that switches between the two. So I have a strong suspicion that we will see a proper release of this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 4:30 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Really hoping for a Blu Ray of this gig!!!!!! Or at least a boot of pro-shot footage!

What he said.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

What he said.

I concur! One of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see Savatage (TSO doesn't count) as they are my second favorite band and still have a presence in my playlists and at work singing (since I know so many of their songs by heart).

I watch many artists on Deviantart who are from all over Europe and I'm always telling them how jealous I am of their countries having the best music festivals.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:15 am

Citanul wrote:
The two bands performing together is something that seems tailor-made for a DVD release, as you could conceivably have the option of watching either of the two on their own, or an edit that switches between the two.  So I have a strong suspicion that we will see a proper release of this.

Yea, I think I'd be more surprised if they didn't film this for a future release. Seems like a once-in-a-lifetime, golden opportunity. The band or management really dropped the ball on this one if it isn't released professionally at some point.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Citanul wrote:
The two bands performing together is something that seems tailor-made for a DVD release, as you could conceivably have the option of watching either of the two on their own, or an edit that switches between the two.  So I have a strong suspicion that we will see a proper release of this.

Yea, I think I'd be more surprised if they didn't film this for a future release. Seems like a once-in-a-lifetime, golden opportunity. The band or management really dropped the ball on this one if it isn't released professionally at some point.

If they did film it, it doesn't mean we'll see a release. I hope I'm wrong, but they DID film the final performance of the TSO Beethoven's Last Night tour (I was there) and five years later... nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Not the full set, but this is still pretty awesome.

http://concert.arte.tv/de/savatage-wacken-2015
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 3:15 pm

I was hesitant in starting a new thread, since maybe it's old news to some, but I just discovered this myself today after searching for some Savatage-related interviews:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jon-oliva-recovering-from-stroke/

Jon Oliva had a stroke in April.

Pain has proven that Jon has so much music left in him that I hope he gets to release more. Nevermind touring, just lay it all down in the studio.

That Savatage show at Wacken last year may have been historic, but I wouldn't know since I wasn't there. I was hoping they'd release it on DVD/Blu-Ray together with a bunch of interviews, story, documentary, history, music video catalogue etc. But I still haven't heard anything about that either, so maybe I'll just settle for crappy Youtube/Dailymotion bootlegs of the show...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Man that sucks. This is the first I've heard of it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Why did Jon ever step down as the vocalist for Savatage?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 6:22 pm

candlemass wrote:
Why did Jon ever step down as the vocalist for Savatage?

I think he was trying to do Doctor butcher stuff with Chris Caffery or something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Savatage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage   Savatage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next