Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Armored Saint - March of the Saint

Go down 
+9
martinsane
manny
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Glower
nevermore
metalken
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
13 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Armored Saint - March of the Saint Empty
PostSubject: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Nicked this article from Classic Rock. Thought this was interesting...

Armored Saint - March of the Saint 61Oe0lAAuxL

On October 9, 1984 Armored Saint released debut album March Of The Saint. To mark its 30th anniversary, here are 10 facts about the early days of the band

It's hard to believe now, but when this album was released, people thought Armored Saint would be bigger than Metallica. The album actually sold 125,000 copies in America by the end of '84, but things never really happened for the band. One problem was that they never toured at the time in Europe, despite the clamor for live dates. But three decades on, the album still holds up remarkably well. To paraphrase the band's most well known song: Can Armored Saint deliver? Yes!

- Both bassist Joey Vera and vocalist John Bush turned down the chance at varying times of joining Metallica.

- The band paid for their first demo from money Vera received after being injured in a road accident. He was the passenger in a car being driven by Tommy Lee. They were bandmates in Sapphire at the time.

- Vera and Bush first teamed up in a school band called Rhapsody.

- Drummer Gonzo came up with the band name, inspired by the movie Excalibur.

- The band made their recording debut on the compilation Metal Massacre II. They had a track on it called 'Lesson Well Learned'. Trauma were also on the album, and they featured future Metallica bassist Cliff Burton. Another band worth mentioning from Metal Massacre II are Aloha, who had guitarist Marty Friedman, who later joined Megadeth.

- One of the band's earliest songs was titled 'You Suck My Anal Dry'. But this was never properly recorded.

- Armored Saint released a self-titled EP on Metal Blade, before signing to Chrysalis.

- The band recorded March Of The Saint at Ocean Way Studios in Los Angeles. At the same time, both Supertramp and Barbara Streisand were working on records. Odd that neither ask the Saint to guest!

- They fell out with MOTS producer Michael James Jackson when he told them he didn't like Black Sabbath.

- Armored Saint's first full tour was opening for Quiet Riot and Whitesnake in America. Their next one was with Metallica and W.A.S.P. The band had the same management as Metallica.

Happy Birthday!! Bring back the armor!!
Armored Saint - March of the Saint Armored-saint-band-photo.jpg-530x323

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 12:55 pm

It's a good album, but it's a shame they never could replicate their live sound properly on a studio album. At least not when they were on Chrysalis. Their EP is excellent.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 2:21 pm

I literally played my cassette copy to the breaking point. It went from the home stereo to the walkman daily and eventually the tape left the spool. Sad
Even though I do not think I have actually listened to this in literally years, it is so implanted in my noggin that I can say I can remember this A side to B side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
It's a good album, but it's a shame they never could replicate their live sound properly on a studio album.  At least not when they were on Chrysalis.  Their EP is excellent.  

Yeah, I agree with this.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for making me feel old!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:07 pm

metalken wrote:
I literally played my cassette copy to the breaking point. It went from the home stereo to the walkman daily and eventually the tape left the spool. Sad
Even though I do not think I have actually listened to this in literally years, it is so implanted in my noggin that I can say I can remember this A side to B side.
Because the original CD pressings are a bit costly to afford, all I have is the cassette version. It's the band's best effort, but all of the first four albums are essential. My kind of power metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Armored Saint is HEAVY METAL. They don't require any silly sub-genre tags.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Why is that silly? I can understand how USPM might've sounded closer to NWOBHM, but I think it's a different flavor of power metal. Not all power metal is European, just as not all thrash metal sounds like Metallica. Different regional scenes produce different flavors of these genres, and then some.

If I may bring up other related bands, what would you say Attacker, Liege Lord, Chastain, Helstar, or Savage Grace sound more like? I definitely hear more than just heavy metal in most of their songs. Maybe Armored Saint sounds more like heavy metal, but I always thought they were more of a hybrid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm a music fan, not a library science major addicted to over-categorization. I find most sub-genres to be silly and unnecessary. But it seems I'm in the minority since arguing over what bands fit into what categories seems to give most people a hard-on these days. More power to them, I'll be over in the corner actually listening to music while they argue incessantly.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Arguing about music isn't the same as discussing it. I'm also a loyal music fan, but I don't see what's wrong with discussing music genres. After all, we're posting on a forum.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree, and just leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Painkiller wrote:
metalken wrote:
Because the original CD pressings are a bit costly to afford, all I have is the cassette version. It's the band's best effort, but all of the first four albums are essential. My kind of power metal.

Why not just buy the metal blade re-pressings? They are readily available on the used market. Also the first two albums have been remastered and reissued by Rock Candy Records.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Armored Saint - March of the Saint 395375 I remember being introduced and then brought into this cool dude's  bedroom - LOL - in Chelmsford - and he had that LP cover on his bureau top, tilted against the wall.
All sorts of stuff was on his bureau, so it said quietly that 'it was important' as we all got high and aquainted.
Seeing them in concert, at a small venue, was a huge experience, leather, hair, loud, talent.
Someone here once had a poll about a concert they'd like to see - in a certain year -etc - you know who I picked - Armored Saint - March of the Saint 395375
I'm with Witchfinder though - the magic just wasn't captured in the recording studio -
I do know that one of their guitar players died unexpectedly young -
those 10 facts about the release were fun to read !
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 pm

March... was and is still a great record. I remember seeing the video for "Can U Deliver" on MTV and I was sold.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Good album. Something about it is reassuring and makes me feel peaceful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
metalken wrote:

Why not just buy the metal blade re-pressings?  They are readily available on the used market.  Also the first two albums have been remastered and reissued by Rock Candy Records.  
I'm not sure how loud the 1999 Metal Blade Records version of March of the Saint sounds, nor would I want to risk paying more than ten dollars for a common CD at its cheapest.

Rock Candy Records' reissues are loud as hell. The only reason I'm trying to score an original Japanese pressing of Riot's Narita.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 1:31 am

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
metalken wrote:

Why not just buy the metal blade re-pressings?  They are readily available on the used market.  Also the first two albums have been remastered and reissued by Rock Candy Records.  
I'm not sure how loud the 1999 Metal Blade Records version of March of the Saint sounds, nor would I want to risk paying more than ten dollars for a common CD at its cheapest.

Rock Candy Records' reissues are loud as hell. The only reason I'm trying to score an original Japanese pressing of Riot's Narita.

The Metal Blade versions sound the same as the Chrysalis versions.  They have a good dynamic range - they aren't bricked at all.  They did no remastering or anything - these are simply reissues..  I have all versions - vinyl, chrysalis, Metal Blade and Rock Candy.  The vinyl, chrysalis, and Metal Blade all sound great.  The Rock Candy versions are loud - I don't know their DR values though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 8:41 am

I bought this album as a new release, it sounds great but like Witch man said, never captured their live sound
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 pm

As Keith stated, saw that Can U Deliver video and that opening guitar riff is just beyond killer and I was hooked and a rabid fan ever since.

Was lucky to get the LP waaay back in high school, traded Helix-No Rest and Dokken-Breaking The Chains tapes for it, I think I got the better end of that trade... That EP is available on the Nod To Old Skool 2 disc though for the folks that don't want to worry about the vinyl.

Was fortunate enough too see them on the March tour opening for Metallica (who were out on the Ride The Lightning tour) and they easily could have dual headlined that show and yes Metallica with Cliff was stupid awesome as well!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 4:23 pm

I love Armored Saint (Listening to La Raza right this second) and think their full length debut is killer. It gets plenty of spins from me.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Love Can U Deliver and the rest of the album is solid the whole way through.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Great album! I remember reading somewhere that the never recouped the recording cost of that album....
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 am

S.D. wrote:
Armored Saint is HEAVY METAL.  They don't require any silly sub-genre tags.  

AGREED!!!

headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint - March of the Saint   Armored Saint - March of the Saint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Armored Saint - March of the Saint
Page 1 of 1