Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Armored Saint

Go down 
+11
Gilbert
scottmitchell74
metalken
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Lari
the sentinel
Troublezone
Glower
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3172

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 am

1984 March of the Saint
1985 Delirious Nomad
1987 Raising Fear

1988 Saints Will Conquer
1991 Symbol of Salvation
2000 Revelation

2001 Nod to the Old School
2010 La Raza
2015 Win Hands Down

2016 Carpe Noctum
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 am

Symbol of Salvation is my favorite and the only album I own by them.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 am

I have 'em all on disc and the first 4 on vinyl and cassette. I would have to say that Symbol is probably my fave followed by Delirious. Imho, the only stinker in the bunch is La Raza (The Race) as I found it to be so dull, really missing the hooks and memorable riffs of the previous albums. I thought "Win Hands Down" was a good "return" to the AS sound.
One pet peeve with their 3 live albums is that, while they sound good and I like the song selection, they are just too short. I know they were never a big headlining act, but I feel as though their live offerings are recordings of their opening sets and nothing more. There 's not a whole lot of crowd interaction, and they seem to begin and end abruptly. They could have culled tracks from different shows to make a longer (or 2 disc) set.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 11:14 am

I can't rank them because I haven't heard them all, but Symbol of Salvation has gotten a lot of spins since I bought it. 

I could use more Armored Saint, maybe.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 11:52 am

Lari wrote:
I can't rank them because I haven't heard them all, but Symbol of Salvation has gotten a lot of spins since I bought it. 

I could use more Armored Saint, maybe.

I think you would like the earlier '80's output more than the recent stuff. I could be wrong, and not telling you what you would like, but back in the day is when they had a fire in the belly to make some killer tunes.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39578

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 pm

I own them all and love them all. I never could understand the hate for La Raza. It's a good album with one of their better songs.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 2:21 pm

I don't think there's a bad Armored Saint album. Delirious Nomad is my favorite. Followed very, very closely by Symbol Of Salvation.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

I definitely don't hate it (like I hate St. Anger or Chinese Democracy) but I just find it to be so dull. Agreed, "Chilled" is great, and "Left Hook" is good, nut that's all I remember. I will have to give it another spin, maybe tonight. I think I was just so hyped for it back when it came out that it was never going to live up to my expectations.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 4:05 pm

I have em all except their last one, Carpe Noctum (but that’s a live album anyway). Symbol was my intro to the band so that’s always gonna be a sentimental favorite but Win Hands Down is a beast of an album. I like all of their stuff from excellent to pretty-damn-good. They’ve never put out a clunker. Even La Raza has its moments. The only one I’ve never fully embraced was Raising Fear. It would be at the bottom of my list. But still pretty good.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Symbol of Salvation will always be my fave!
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Depending on which way the wind is blowing and what day of the week it is, I am going to chicken out and say all the above. Loved them since the s/t ep in 1983 that a good friend owned and I had my taped copy from his stereo. Been following them since.
Been big on Win Hands Down, as it get the most plays as of late. And I do pick Delirious Nomad and Symbol to blast away when running through the collection.But I can't choose.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I have the first one only on vinyl.

You guys have caused me to check out Symbol of Salvation.

Be back to report later.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Glower wrote:
1984 March of the Saint
1985 Delirious Nomad
1987 Raising Fear

1988 Saints Will Conquer
1991 Symbol of Salvation
2000 Revelation

2001 Nod to the Old School
2010 La Raza
2015 Win Hands Down

2016 Carpe Noctum

I own all of those, with the exception of Nod to the Old School. RAISING FEAR is easily their best imo, followed by Saints Will Conquer and Symbol of Salvation.

We need a new Armored Saint album headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 pm

007 wrote:
I own them all and love them all. I never could understand the hate for La Raza. It's a good album with one of their better songs.

Good album. I agree.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Alright, so I went and gave La Raza a good listen. Definitely better than I remember. I still feel as though Chilled and Left Hook are the two best tracks, but Head On and album closer, Bandit Country are real good as well.

I also went back and re read the 7 or 8 pages of the original thread when this album came out back a decade or so ago, and 2 things stood out to me:

1- I don't why I didn't post in that thread as I remember getting this week of release, and
2- A few people (in the thread and reviews) felt this wasn't a Metal album.

I feel it is, as I am just comparing Armored Saint (2009) to Armored Saint (1984-1989) and not AS to Metallica or Megadeth circa the mid 1980's.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 9:15 pm

the sentinel wrote:
A few people (in the thread and reviews) felt this wasn't a Metal album.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 pm

Currently listening to this excellent song:

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 pm

^^^ Great song! That while album is killer!
headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 am

I had been looking for Raising Fear for like forever.

On my last trip to Athens, i passed by this little cd shop that was about to close in five minutes, and i decided to have a quick look.

I saw the Japanese pressing of Raising Fear sitting on the shelves. It was used but still in mint condition. Picked it up for less than 12 euros.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 am

I have been into Armored Saint since their debut album 'March of the Saint'.I used to even own their self titled EP, which was really cool but I no longer own it.

I have not bought any of their albums since 'Symbol' which is probably my favorite of the albums I own, I need to grab more of their albums in the future.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 10:45 am

Favorites - Armored Saint EP, Delirious Nomad, Symbol of Salvation.
Least Favorite - La Raza - I find it to be listless and uninspired.

All the other albums are also very good. I just wish their Chrysalis albums had the same production that Symbol has.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Favorites - Armored Saint EP, Delirious Nomad, Symbol of Salvation.
Least Favorite - La Raza - I find it to be listless and uninspired.

All the other albums are also very good. I just wish their Chrysalis albums had the same production that Symbol has.

Symbol should have made them a much bigger band.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Another great song off probably my favorite album.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 4:08 pm

I watched the Win Hands Down video and was a little put off by the jazz break. Song also just didn't click with me immediately.

Also watched this:

Cool.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 4:15 pm

007 wrote:
Another great song off probably my favorite album.

I had forgotten how good this album is. Need to give it a fresh spin headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Armored Saint  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint    Armored Saint  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Armored Saint
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: