Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beer!

Go down 
+35
Aaron_D
akeldama
ShadowAngel
DakotaRogers
Stone Cold
Glower
Addy
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
DeathCult
chewie
Runicen
MetallicSeminarian
ze_mau
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Lari
James B.
glassprison
Olafsto
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
GrandNational
nevermore
Hamer12
bassman
corplhicks
exact33
DallasBlack
Boris2008
kmorg
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 2:52 am

Had these today:

Curmudgeon
Hennepin
Three Philosophers
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 11:07 am

I almost bought another Three Philosophers triple pack at the beer store Friday. it's 3 different vintages one of which is from 2011. The stuff gets even mellower as it ages.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 5:43 pm

What I did pick up at the beer store however was something called Row Hard Root Beer. It's "hard" root beer with 6.7 ABV but you'd never know it. It tastes just like A&W root beer. It's dangerous.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 7:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
What I did pick up at the beer store however was something called Row Hard Root Beer.  It's "hard" root beer with 6.7 ABV but you'd never know it.   It tastes just like A&W root beer.  It's dangerous.

I'd love to try that but it doesn't look like it's available around here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 7:44 pm

007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
What I did pick up at the beer store however was something called Row Hard Root Beer.  It's "hard" root beer with 6.7 ABV but you'd never know it.   It tastes just like A&W root beer.  It's dangerous.

It's really sneaky.  It doesn't taste like there's any alcohol in it at all.  Fortunately I read the label before I drank it but I could easily see slamming 5 or 6 of these on a hot summer day and then wondering what the hell hit me.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Don't know if it's the same company but I have seen a Hard Root Beer around. May just have to try it out.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 9:17 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Don't know if it's the same company but I have seen a Hard Root Beer around. May just have to try it out.

That's what I did.  I saw it and picked up a 4pk on a whim just to see what it tasted like.  Turns out the stuff is awesome.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 pm

I just saw some hard root beer this week, sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

It's really sneaky.  It doesn't taste like there's any alcohol in it at all.  Fortunately I read the label before I drank it but I could easily see slamming 5 or 6 of these on a hot summer day and then wondering what the hell hit me.

My wife and I discovered a similiar "hard" root beer a few weeks ago on a rare night out. It's called 'Not Your Father's Root Beer' and is just as dangerous/delicious as the one you described. I think this one was only 5.9% ABV, but again, you'd never know it. Taste's just like plain old root beer.

We picked up a 6 pack the other night and the guy at the counter said they can't keep it in stock. It flies off the shelves as soon as it comes in. I guess it'll be the big summer drink this season. Until some stupid kid keels over from binge drinking them tailgating at a Luke Bryan concert.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 1:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

My wife and I discovered a similiar "hard" root beer a few weeks ago on a rare night out. It's called 'Not Your Father's Root Beer' and is just as dangerous/delicious as the one you described. I think this one was only 5.9% ABV, but again, you'd never know it. Taste's just like plain old root beer.

Now that's in my area. At least within a decent drivable distance. Looks like I'll have to try and get some here soon.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am

Beer! - Page 25 Tumblr_inline_nnddjrC9CC1tovnkl_1280

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Last year some friend from work bought me a 6 pack of something called "After Noon Java Imperial Stout".   They got it the local beer store (not the one I usually buy all my "weird" beers at) and it was in cans so I wasn't expecting much.  Lo and behold it ended up being the best coffee stout I'd ever tasted.  So I went back to the store where they bought it and it was gone.

Today I went looking for some more of that root beer (which I found) and lo and behold the coffee beer was back.  This stuff is much more coffee-forward than most coffee stouts; anyone who loves strong coffee should love this.  It's made by Santa Fe Brewery in New Mexico so you folks out west should be able to find it.

http://www.santafebrewing.com/our_beer/detail/47

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Any trace of the Hard Root Beer that was at my normal beer stop was gone. I was so pissed, I really wanted to get that and try it out. I've been to that store many times and it was there everytime. I just wasn't willing to take a gamble on it. Now that I hear all these great things about it, the bastards don't carry it anymore!
angry
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Any trace of the Hard Root Beer that was at my normal beer stop was gone. I was so pissed, I really wanted to get that and try it out. I've been to that store many times and it was there everytime. I just wasn't willing to take a gamble on it. Now that I hear all these great things about it, the bastards don't carry it anymore!
angry

Either that or it's sold out now.

Today I had to scrounge around my local beer store to find a 4 pack of it.  I ended up finding it on the podium set up for tomorrow's weekly "tasting".  I just grabbed it and put it in my cart.  I have no idea where or if they have anymore.  I've been told that if you are lucky enough to find any "alcoholic root beer" grab it because apparently this is the craze this summer.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
angry

I had to scrounge around my local beer store to find a 4 pack of it.  I ended up finding it on the podium set up for tomorrow's weekly "tasting".  I just grabbed it and put it in my cart.  I have no idea where or if they have anymore.

Either way, I'm not getting any. Sad Searched around to see if there was any hidden and no such luck. Normally when I'm browsing, an associate would ask me if I needed help. This didn't happen, they didn't even greet me. Normally I wouldn't care, but they greeted everyone else and asked if they needed help. I decided to browse another location. It wasn't there but I'm trying some other stuff out.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Bought a 4 pack of something called "Banana Nut Bread Ale" today. Haven't tried it yet but I'm intrigued. I love banana nut bread.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 7:21 pm

I tried a canned beer from a Texas nano brewery called 903:

Beer! - Page 25 Coconut

It's a toasted coconut cream ale. Smooth and crisp with a bready malt flavor and almost nonexistent bitterness. I'm used to stronger beers and this one is pretty light (though at 6% ABV it's stronger than your normal mainstream beer) but it's not too shabby (despite a canned aftertaste). Though I hear it's much better on tap. Probably won't buy this again but it's a nice change from what I normally drink.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I tried a canned beer from a Texas nano brewery called 903:

Beer! - Page 25 Coconut

It's a toasted coconut cream ale. Smooth and crisp with a bready malt flavor and almost nonexistent bitterness. I'm used to stronger beers and this one is pretty light (though at 6% ABV it's stronger than your normal mainstream beer) but it's not too shabby (despite a canned aftertaste). Though I hear it's much better on tap. Probably won't buy this again but it's a nice change from what I normally drink.

That sounds like something I'd like to try. I'm a big fan of coconut. I'm really diggin' the new Coconut/Sea Salt Triscuit....

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 7:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I feel your pain DB.

I poured a lot of money down the drain when trying IPAs.  But then I had that discussion with an IPA fan while watching March Madness at the local beer snob bar and that's where I learned that black IPAs, black ryes and double and even triple IPAs might appeal to me.  I'd also recommend Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA if you can find it but it's really pricey (on sale it's 19.49 for a 4 pack).

It's been trial and error for me ever since too.  One that I found good as a starter IPA is Avery's Maharaja.  It's called an "imperial IPA" whatever that means, but I like how the malts offset the hoppy grapefruit taste.  Another good black IPA is Southern Tier's "Iniquity". 

I think I either burned myself out on stouts and their ilk or those beers are just too heavy for the warmer weather; double IPAs/black IPAs just seem more refreshing when the weather is miserably hot.

Well, knowing how you like Founders, I tired this:

Beer! - Page 25 Founders-devil-dancer
Beer! - Page 25 17538

The bitterness this time didn't show up with a vengeance until the last 1/4 of the bottle. After that it was undrinkable for me. At least I lasted longer with this one. I could taste the bitterness the whole time but until that last bit it was balanced out well. Either I just need to drink more to get used to it, or IPAs of any kind are just not my thing.

I didn't just experiment this time. I got one I knew I could count on. I got an Ommegang Abbey. I don't remember getting this one before but Abbey was my first Belgian (New Belgium) and Ommegang is Toho approved so:

Beer! - Page 25 750_Ommegang
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 am

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
angry

Today I had to scrounge around my local beer store to find a 4 pack of it.  I ended up finding it on the podium set up for tomorrow's weekly "tasting".  I just grabbed it and put it in my cart.  I have no idea where or if they have anymore.  I've been told that if you are lucky enough to find any "alcoholic root beer" grab it because apparently this is the craze this summer.

I went to the beer distributor on Friday afternoon and they had a huge stock of the hard root beer right in front when you walked in the door. The guy at the counter said it would be gone by the end of the weekend.

I like it, but not enough to spend $47.99 for a whole case of it. I heard I can get it cheaper ($35) if I go over the bridge to New Jersey though. But that would require me going into Jersey, and I'd rather pour some whisky into a can of A&W and call it a day. Razz

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 5:16 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I feel your pain DB.

I poured a lot of money down the drain when trying IPAs.  But then I had that discussion with an IPA fan while watching March Madness at the local beer snob bar and that's where I learned that black IPAs, black ryes and double and even triple IPAs might appeal to me.  I'd also recommend Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA if you can find it but it's really pricey (on sale it's 19.49 for a 4 pack).

It's been trial and error for me ever since too.  One that I found good as a starter IPA is Avery's Maharaja.  It's called an "imperial IPA" whatever that means, but I like how the malts offset the hoppy grapefruit taste.  Another good black IPA is Southern Tier's "Iniquity". 

I think I either burned myself out on stouts and their ilk or those beers are just too heavy for the warmer weather; double IPAs/black IPAs just seem more refreshing when the weather is miserably hot.

Well, knowing how you like Founders, I tired this:

Beer! - Page 25 Founders-devil-dancer
Beer! - Page 25 17538

The bitterness this time didn't show up with a vengeance until the last 1/4 of the bottle. After that it was undrinkable for me. At least I lasted longer with this one. I could taste the bitterness the whole time but until that last bit it was balanced out well. Either I just need to drink more to get used to it, or IPAs of any kind are just not my thing.

I didn't just experiment this time. I got one I knew I could count on. I got an Ommegang Abbey. I don't remember getting this one before but Abbey was my first Belgian (New Belgium) and Ommegang is Toho approved so:

Beer! - Page 25 750_Ommegang

I hear ya DB!  I tried Devil Dancer a year or so ago and hated it.  But for some reason I now find double, triple and black IPAs to be my thing.  I love Devil Dancer now (I have a 4pk in the fridge right now).  I think I just got burned out on Belgians and stouts.  And you really can't go wrong with Ommegang.  I should trademark that as a slogan.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 pm

For Fathers Day, my son got me a case of Rodenbach Original. This is rather good but it's not what I quite expected, it has a bit of a wine flavor to it. I'll be enjoying these.

Beer! - Page 25 10516253
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Never heard of that one.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 pm

tohostudios wrote:
And you really can't go wrong with Ommegang.  I should trademark that as a slogan.

I had a few of those yesterday (Three Philosophers and Abbey) at our family celebration for Father's Day. I also had a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Not sure why but this was even better than the last time I had one and it's from the same 4 pack I got a while back.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I love Founders Breakfast Stout.

I stumbled upon a really odd one yesterday call Points Unknown. It's a collaboration between Stone and two other breweries I never heard of (Ecliptic and Wicked Weed). This thing is a double IPA crossed with a barrel-aged Belgian Tripel. Really, really different. It's got the hoppiness and malt combination of a double IPA but it's also got the fruitiness of a Belgian Tripel. I'm not completely sure it works but it's sure different and at least not a drainpour.

Beer! - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 25 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beer!
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next