Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beer!

Go down 
+35
Aaron_D
akeldama
ShadowAngel
DakotaRogers
Stone Cold
Glower
Addy
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
DeathCult
chewie
Runicen
MetallicSeminarian
ze_mau
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Lari
James B.
glassprison
Olafsto
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
GrandNational
nevermore
Hamer12
bassman
corplhicks
exact33
DallasBlack
Boris2008
kmorg
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Somebody would have to age it for me..somewhere far away from my house, because if I had easy access to it, I would drink it.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 7:03 pm

I have a closet in the basement (where my vinyl records are) and I put stuff I want to age down there.  Even though it's a finished basement and I have a bunch of leather furniture down there (it was going to be my "man cave") I seldom go down there.  So it's out of sight, out of mind.  You'd be surprised; if you keep you normal beer stash relatively well-stocked, you forget about bottles you stashed in a room you seldom visit.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Just got back from the grocery store where I picked up another bottle of Firestone Walker's "Wookey Jack" black IPA.   I think this might be my favorite Black IPA, even better than Founders. 

BeerAdvocate gives it a 95 - World Class.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Bought another sixer of Sam Adams Rebel Rouser Double IPA.  Not my favorite DIPA but decent enough for the price.  I also had a bomber of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale (black IPA) over the weekend.  I think after Founders, Stone is my next favorite brewery.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Picked up a Stout made in Astoria, Or. Loving it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:14 pm

I don't think I've ever met a stout I didn't like.

Unless it had a bunch of stupid adjuncts in it like pepper.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Those guys at Stone are SERIOUS about beer!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:31 pm

I really love how reasonably priced their beers are.  Heck, their Russian Stout goes for about 6.99 around here.  That's also what I paid for that double IPA of their's I bought.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Trying some new beers:

Beer! - Page 24 Founders-Old-Curmudgeon-Ale
Beer! - Page 24 BOM01_750ml_HENN-01

I already know Ommegang is a dependable beer, but I was unsure of the other one. Not too bad. A tad biterness is hidden in there but not enough to ruin the beer (with a 9.8% ABV it has bit of a kick too).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:06 am

I like Curmudgeon.  It's an old ale brewed with molasses and I'm a fan of old ales.  The Ommegang is a Saison or Farmhouse ale and I've always described that style as a cross between a Belgian ale and a sour.  Not one of my favorite styles of beer but I can drink it.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Made a beer run today and bought a bunch of stuff but only one bottle was a stout. I bought a ton of black IPAs, double IPAS, a couple triple IPAS (thank you Founders) and some black rye IPAs.

I've discovered that as the weather gets warmer I find it harder to really enjoy the heavy stouts I've stockpiled for so long. But these IPAs really seem to be more refreshing in these warmer temps. I even bought one bottle of a single IPA from Founders just to see if I'm totally over my IPA-phobia or if I still have to stick with the doubles/triples and blacks.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 8:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I like Curmudgeon.  It's an old ale brewed with molasses and I'm a fan of old ales.  The Ommegang is a Saison or Farmhouse ale and I've always described that style as a cross between a Belgian ale and a sour.  Not one of my favorite styles of beer but I can drink it.

Kind of made me apprehensive when you said 'a sour', because I don't like sour beers. Luckily, the Belgian is strong enough to overpower it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 9:30 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Kind of made me apprehensive when you said 'a sour', because I don't like sour beers. Luckily, the Belgian is strong enough to overpower it.

Yeah, be careful when you see either "saison" or "farmhouse" on the label.  I've had saisons that I've liked and others that I've hated.  That Ommegang one is one I can drink.  So is the Tank 7 Farmhouse ale by Boulevard Brewing.  But other than those two I'm really hesitant to try that style.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Drank a Noda Coco Loco last night. It's made at the Noda Brewing Co. in Charlotte.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 9:57 pm

For our Memorial Day picnic, I had some Erie Brewing Co. beers from a variety pack. In it was the Railbender Ale (a Scottish style ale), Mad Anthony's APA, Misery Bay IPA, and the Presque Isle Pilsner. The only one I haven't tried yet was the IPA. The others were quite tasty.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:24 pm

With Toho going on and on about double and black IPAs, I decided to try one:

Beer! - Page 24 10301412
www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/67046/

At first, it was just like he described. The bitterness was overpowered by the malts, and I was quite enjoying it. A quarter of the way through, the malts lost out. Became a BC powder beer and was undrinkable to me. Found out it's IBU rating is 109 and came across this quote on Beer Advocate:

"Taste is okay to start, interesting, then extremely bitter and dry. Not my taste."

Either there is no IPA that will work for me, or I came across a bad one. Luckily, the four pack (couldn't find any single IPAs-except for the regular ones) cost less than a large bottle of beer so I'm not out of too much money.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm

I feel your pain DB.

I poured a lot of money down the drain when trying IPAs.  But then I had that discussion with an IPA fan while watching March Madness at the local beer snob bar and that's where I learned that black IPAs, black ryes and double and even triple IPAs might appeal to me.  I'd also recommend Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA if you can find it but it's really pricey (on sale it's 19.49 for a 4 pack).

It's been trial and error for me ever since too.  One that I found good as a starter IPA is Avery's Maharaja.  It's called an "imperial IPA" whatever that means, but I like how the malts offset the hoppy grapefruit taste.  Another good black IPA is Southern Tier's "Iniquity". 

I think I either burned myself out on stouts and their ilk or those beers are just too heavy for the warmer weather; double IPAs/black IPAs just seem more refreshing when the weather is miserably hot.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Well, I'll look out for some of those.

Also during my recent beer run I piked up this:

Beer! - Page 24 Inspiration_750_label2

I must say I'm quite enjoying this one. It's like a cross between a Belgian and a porter is the best way I can describe it. And amazingly enough, it's from a Texas brewery! Most Texas beers I've had have not been very impressive.

BTW, the picture above has 9.45 ABV, but this one I'm drinking is 10.2
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

I must say I'm quite enjoying this one. It's like a cross between a Belgian and a porter is the best way I can describe it. And amazingly enough, it's from a Texas brewery! Most Texas beers I've had have not been very impressive.

New one on me. Sound good though.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:54 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

New one on me.  Sound good though.

Beer Advocate thinks so:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30949/97156/

However, I should have waited for a time I wasn't already tired. The ABV is wreaking havoc on me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:56 pm

"You must learn Grasshopper..."

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm currently drinking an Ommegang Three Philosphers that was brewed in 2012. Its part of a 3pack of Ommegang Three Philosophers, one brewed in 2014, one in 2012 and one in 2011. 9.7 ABV on this one originally but I'm sure after 3 years it's higher than that.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 9:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
"You must learn Grasshopper..."

Well, I had second thoughts once I saw the ABV, but I had just bough the thing and wanted to know for sure whether it would be good or not. Next time I'll wait after a nap Wink.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Trying another new one:

Beer! - Page 24 NEW-HOLLAND-DRAGONS-MILK-adj
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/151800/

I knew that going into an 11 ABV beer that I should prepare to get buzzed. What I wasn't expecting was how strong the alcohol taste in this would be. Not unpleasant though, more like a bittersweet liqueur. From what I've read on BA, this becomes less noticeable as it warms. With that knowledge and the high ABV, I'm going to be sipping this one.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:42 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Trying another new one:

Beer! - Page 24 NEW-HOLLAND-DRAGONS-MILK-adj
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/151800/

I knew that going into an 11 ABV beer that I should prepare to get buzzed. What I wasn't expecting was how strong the alcohol taste in this would be. Not unpleasant though, more like a bittersweet liqueur. From what I've read on BA, this becomes less noticeable as it warms. With that knowledge and the high ABV, I'm going to be sipping this one.

Ah, my "gateway beer". That's the one that got me started on the road to true beer snob-dom about 3 years ago. If you let Dragon's Milk age in a dark place for about a year it gets much mellower; the bourbon taste blends in with the other flavors better if you age it.

Beer! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer!   Beer! - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beer!
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next