Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

33 years ago today....

Go down 
+18
metalinmyveins
Boris2008
QuothTheRaven
jstate
manny
Wurthless
James B.
Thelemech
ZombieHavoc
JBall_Z
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
brokentulsa
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

33 years ago today.... Empty
PostSubject: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Ozzy Osbourne kicked off his solo career with 'Blizzard Of Ozz', released on this date back in 1980.

33 years ago today.... 41X2y5s8LRL
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 12:45 pm

33 minutes ago, I kicked somebody right in the face. In the face, while eating some macaroni and cheese with broccoli. True story.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Ozzy Osbourne kicked off his solo career with 'Blizzard Of Ozz', released on this date back in 1980.

33 years ago today.... 41X2y5s8LRL
33 years ago Blizzard of Ozz was born and was suppose to be a supergroup made up of Ozzy (Black Sabbath), Bob Daisley (Rainbow), Lee Kerslake (Uriah Heep) and young new guitarist Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot). Originally formed as the band "Blizzard of Ozz", the band's first album was to be released as a self-titled record but was later changed to Blizzard of Ozz featuring Ozzy Osbourne. The record company (or more likely Don Arden) would eventually release the record as Ozzy Osbourne, with the album simply annotated "Blizzard of Ozz" as the title, much to the annoyance of bassist/songwriter Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake who were shocked to find out they were backing musicians for Ozzy rather than a part of a band. The four were initially pictured on the back of the record, but their photos were later replaced with the touring band on the U.S. and any further pressings of the record. Only Rhoads was left of the original "band".

From every book I have read, Ozzy was drunk or passed out for much of the Blizzard of Ozz sessions, with the band writing most of the music and lyrics without Ozzy's involvement.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
33 minutes ago, I kicked somebody right in the face. In the face, while eating some macaroni and cheese with broccoli. True story.
Not that I want to derail this thread or anything, but I'm curious about this...?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 1:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:

From every book I have read, Ozzy was drunk or passed out for much of the Blizzard of Ozz sessions, with the band writing most of the music and lyrics without Ozzy's involvement.
Continuing the behavior that got him fired from Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 2:26 pm

While it wasn't 33 years ago that I first heard it, this album was one of the very first albums I purchased in the "new-ish" compact disc format.

I purchased my very first cd player (early 90's) at Silo, then went immediately to Tower Records and bought Blizzard, GnR's Appetite and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic.

2100+ cds later and I still have that original disc. The GnR one too. When I got Aerosmith's Box of Fire set, I got rid of the double. Still have the same Sony cd player too. I don't use it very often anymore (the cd tray gets stuck), but it still works.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Now that MG mentioned it, I am fairly sure that "Blizzard" was one of the first Compact Discs I bought when I first got a CD player, too.

I've never been much more than a casual fan of Ozzy's solo stuff but Blizzard is still a mighty solid listen. (My fave Ozzy is still No More Tears though...)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Great album! I didn't actually pick it up until a couple years later (on cassette)
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:24 pm

I was a sophomore in high school when this came out.  What a great year for metal.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39603

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Amazing ! Has it been that long ? I was just a lad starting 7th grade in junior high when this came out and can still remember the buzz about the album. I didn't get it myself until about 3 years or so afterward.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've never been much more than a casual fan of Ozzy's solo stuff but Blizzard is still a mighty solid listen. (My fave Ozzy is still No More Tears though...)
No More Tears was one of my first CD purchases, in 1993, when I got a CD player for my 15th birthday. I got 3 at once: NMT, Byrds Greatest Hits and a Paul McCartney live album called Tripping the Live Fantastic, which was such a random impulse buy and only got listened to like twice.

I got Blizzard on vinyl in high school. I don't think I got in on CD until the 2002 remasters thing.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Blizzard was the first Ozzy Osbourne album I got. It was on cassette and out of the cut out bin at a pawn shop I frequented in my early teens. I remember loving the album on first listen. Such a classic!!

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Dig this album alot.....never had it on cd

Randy was/is phenomenal

Bummer it didn't stay "Blizzard of Ozz" and I am certain that when I saw the tour for this it was billed as "Blizzard Of Ozz" with Motorhead opening.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 6:39 pm

This was probably one of the first metal albums I ever owned as well, right along with Sad Wings of Destiny and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I almost never listen to solo Ozzy anymore, though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:11 am

I love that album, I am bit burned out, but can't deny the impact it had on me and my friends growing up
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 am

Quote :
Still have the same Sony cd player too. I don't use it very often anymore (the cd tray gets stuck), but it still works.
My player from 1986 still works.  Thing cost a fortune back then but certainly was well made.  When CDs took off in the early 90's people would look at it like what in the hell is that thing since it was so box-y looking.

Diary Of A Madman was the first proper album I ever bought.  I consider it my introduction to music fandom.  Very quickly after I went and got Blizzard.  Probably the fourth or fifth album I ever owned.  Both records always remind me of how Ozzy's image has changed/shattered.  He was to my young eyes so dangerous and reviled amongst more "proper" people so that of course made him cool.  Biting heads off things, supposed sacrifices, and my favorite - everyone at the concert spit into a bowl and Ozzy will drink it.  He certainly would've too, but how this was in praise of Satan I was never too clear on.  Saddest thing to me about his family's show was it made this scary imposing figure from my youth into a national joke.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 12:53 pm

One of my favorite Ozzy memories is an interview I saw. The interview itself was a typical, forgettable TV interview, but what I remember was that Ozzy was flanked by two men in monk's robes with the cowls up so you couldn't see their faces. They sat there silently throughout the interview segment and were never mentioned. It certainly added to the "Satanic" mystique that was prevalent around him at the time.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
All of this time and still nobody has done a serious study of Broccoli related violence! How long can this madness be allowed to continue? affraid 
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Sadly, I can't tell you when I added this album to my arsenal. I got into metal in 83' and immediately got "Bark at the Moon". I don't believe I had either albums with Rhoads until post 89', when I already had "Bark", "Ultimate", "Tribute" and "No Rest". As much as really enjoy the first album, I'm a much bigger fan of "Diary"...
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah I am reading the new Bob Daisley book 'For Facts Sake' and it talks about exactly what yo cited Scott
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm

I gave this album a listen today and while I like it and defiantly remember when it came out I felt that some of it is beginning to sound a little dated..but alot of albums from that era do...By the way,  my first copy of this was on 8-track tape.....

33 years ago today.... 51b96f03ef79c_110247n
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I don't think I even started buying CDs until the mid 90's. I currently have the Daisley/Kerslake reissue that came out a couple years ago.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I've always felt 'Dee' should have been right before 'Goodbye To Romance'.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 pm

33 years ago Ozzy was a drunken wreck who relied entirely on the talent of his bandmates to make his records for him while his evil spouse/manager made sure that he got all of the credit and cash!

A great album, Lee, Bob and Randy should be proud.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 am

I am not going to completely dismiss Ozzy's talent. He has a unique voice and I am sure he wrote a lot of the melodies, even in his drunken stupor. Doubt he would have gotten far without Randy Rhoads or Bob Daisley for that matter.

I know him being a drunken mess is true, but it was he and Sharon ( and some help from an unknown Dana Strum) who put this line up together and hired Max Norman to oversee the sessions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 33 years ago today....   33 years ago today.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

33 years ago today....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next