Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013

Go down 
+28
jstate
Svengo
Ricky
metalinmyveins
Sutekh
Joe
MetalGuy71
James B.
DallasBlack
SideShowDisaSter
iamrockerfun
kmorg
nevermore
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
Leatherface
chewie
Gryphon-kl
Boris2008
Wurthless
shamgar75
corplhicks
tohostudios
thejokeriv
exact33
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I watched most of that Prog doc posted on here. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on 70's prog, it started off great before descending into intellectual and artistic maturbation. Felt like cheering when the Sex Pistols came on. Laughing very hard 
Eh, I think the "punk saved music" theory is mostly stereotypical bullshit. A momentary flash in the pan that did more damage than anything worthwhile. I'll take Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood over Never Mind The Bollocks any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Punk's by and large a waste of time, really..
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Punk's by and large a waste of time, really..
......move along Toho....don't comment here......

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I watched most of that Prog doc posted on here. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on 70's prog, it started off great before descending into intellectual and artistic maturbation. Felt like cheering when the Sex Pistols came on. Laughing very hard 
Eh, I think the "punk saved music" theory is mostly stereotypical bullshit.  A momentary flash in the pan that did more damage than anything worthwhile.  I'll take Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood over Never Mind The Bollocks any day of the week.  
Or here...

But I agree with the last statement at least.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 pm

I feel you, toho!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:08 pm

I like Never Mind The Bollocks and several other albums from that era, when I'm in the right mood they're fun to jam. But overall the musical direction of punk is the exact opposite of what I look for.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Eh, I think the "punk saved music" theory is mostly stereotypical bullshit.  A momentary flash in the pan that did more damage than anything worthwhile.  I'll take Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood over Never Mind The Bollocks any day of the week.  
I agree, its importance is totally overstated. This isn't verbatim, but I remember how Hetfield always used to say how Metallica enjoyed punk, but ultimately it had this creative ceiling, which didn't allow for growth. I don't think James was talking about some 20 ft vaulted ceilings in a great room of a house, I think he was talking about the 7 ft ceilings with tiles falling down in an old decrepit basement.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
I like Never Mind The Bollocks and several other albums from that era, when I'm in the right mood they're fun to jam.  But overall the musical direction of punk is the exact opposite of what I look for.  
That's an opinion I can respect.  Calling all punk a waste of time?  Not so much...

Just to not totally derail the purpose of this thread, maybe the merits of punk or lack thereof would be a good idea for a new thread elsewhere?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Yeah, can't agree with you there although I don't think that punk 'saved' anything it was more like a reset button that brought back the spirit of Rock & Roll and some of the energy that had been lost in the later stages of prog. The thing is though that all of these ass hat journos think that London is the only place in the world that produces music, and in London at that time it did seem as though punk swept away the prog dinosaurs, but in the States I think that the two had been happily co-existing for years, but the London snobs take great delight in ignoring The MC5, The Stooges, New York Dolls, The Ramones, Television, The Heartbreakers, Blondie etc and act as though the Sex Pistols invented punk rather than being McLaren's attempt at a British New York Dolls (who he had a brief stint at managing)

I'm interested in the flash in the pan thing, punk has been going strong for 40 years! I'm kind of confused by the more damage than anything worthwhile comment, it's a form of music that is loved by millions and had a profound influence on a ton of genres including metal, what 'damage' has it done?

Last edited by Boris2008 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Yeah, can't agree with you there although I don't think that punk 'saved' anything it was more like a reset button that brought back the spirit of Rock & Roll and some of the energy that had been lost in the later stages of prog. The thing is though that all of these ass hat journos think that London is the only place in the world that produces music, and in London at that time it did seem as though punk swept away the prog dinosaurs, but in the States I think that the two had been happily co-existing for years, but the London snobs take great delight in ignoring The MC5, The Stooges, New York Dolls, The Ramones, Television, The Heartbreakers, Blondie etc and act as though the Sex Pistols invented punk rather than being McLaren's attempt at a British New York Dolls (who he had a brief stint at managing)

I'm interested in the flash in the pan thing, punk has been going strong for 40 years! I'm kind of confused by the more harm than good comment, it's a form of music that is loved by millions and had a profound influence on a ton of genres including metal, what 'harm' has it done?
You're my hero Boris! \'arry \'eadbanger 

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Toho, you know I love you and I'd still totally get my groove on with you, just not to punk rock... TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 395375 
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Toho, you know I love you and I'd still totally get my groove on with you, just not to punk rock... TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 395375 
Yeah, I gathered as much.  lol! 

NP, I'll still check out your band's next release anyway. \'arry \'eadbanger

Besides, we'll always have Dark At Dawn for common ground...

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 pm

I have no problem with punk or the people that enjoy it, more power to them. Like I said, I like some of it and once every 5 years or so I'll get in the mood and jam some Sex Pistols or The Clash or maybe some Talking Heads or Television.

My problem is the media-created myth that punk and a decade later grunge were musical "revolutions" that "saved" rock from disco, arena rock, prog rock, hair metal, whatever the overnight "unhip" music was that were suddenly rendered obsolete by these "pioneers". Give me a f*cking break.

In both cases (punk and grunge) they had a meteoric rise to prominence, then quickly crashed and burned (primarily due to over-saturation by the media who quickly tire of new toys and look elsewhere for hipness) leaving a lot of confusion in their wake. The punk bands did a better job of adapting once the media hype died out, they either went mainstream or they took the music back underground where it began. The music survived, the hype mostly did not.

However, in neither occurence did the music world really need to be "saved" from anything. Yes, there was some ridiculously bad music in both the late 70s and late 80s that really did need to be wiped from the face of the earth...but there were also a lot of really talented bands that also got caught up and damaged by the aftermath of punk/grunge. Both times there was more music I liked before they rose to prominence than afterward.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Live Free or Die Hard
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 am

Flipping through the channels the other night, this caught my eye:

'Eating Big: Hippo' on Animal Planet.

It's an hour show where scientists camp out and watch a dead hippo get slowly devoured by lions, crocs, hyenas, and vultures over the course of a few days on the banks of the Nile.

SPOILER: They eat the tongue and genitals first, because it's the softest and easiest to get to. Bon appetite!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 3uldn4
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 am

I'm surprised my wife stuck with it through the whole thing. It was pretty disgusting. Watching a vulture stick his head up the anus of a dead, bloated hippo and rip out fleshy innards isn't something for the weak.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37693

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:16 am

"Garage Days" (2002)

Good natured, fluffy Aussie comedy about a struggling Sydney rock band trying to get their first big break, and the various romantic and personal entanglements they encounter along the way up the ladder to supposed success.

There's nothin' here that you haven't seen in a thousand other rock 'n' roll movies but the cast is likable and there are some good gags. The soundtrack is pretty jam'n too. (In spite of the film's title, there is no Metallica music in the film... but of course, since it's an Australian flick, Down Under heroes AC/DC get quite a bit of air time.)

Oddly enough, the film was directed by Alex Proyas, who's known mainly for grimmer fare like "The Crow" and "Dark City."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 6:07 pm

The final episode of Star Trek TNG.

I've only watched the first hour but man, does this thing owe a debt to Kurt Vonnegut.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19024

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 pm

TNA Impact
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 am

"Death Wish 4: The Crackdown" (1987)

Charles Bronson is back... and he sez crack is wack!!!
Bronson returns for a 4th go round as vigilante Paul Kersey, who starts a gang war between two groups of rival L.A. cocaine dealers after his girlfriend's daughter dies of an overdose. The usual comical mayhem ensues.
So '80s that it almost hurts, especially during the climactic shootout/stand off scenes set in a roller rink and video game arcade.
They don't make'em like this anymore!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:43 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Death Wish 4: The Crackdown" (1987)

Charles Bronson is back... and he sez crack is wack!!!
Bronson returns for a 4th go round as vigilante Paul Kersey, who starts a gang war between two groups of rival L.A. cocaine dealers after his girlfriend's daughter dies of an overdose. The usual comical mayhem ensues.
So '80s that it almost hurts, especially during the climactic shootout/stand off scenes set in a roller rink and video game arcade.
They don't make'em like this anymore!!
There is also some interesting teleportation that happens in that film.  Bronson goes in the front of a building in the San Fernando Valley, but then leaves through the back door and ends up in downtown L.A.?
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 am

Jen Aniston day:

We're Millers (cinema premiere)
Bounty Hunter
Love Happens
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 am

Sound City - Excellent film!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 8:36 am

S.D. wrote:

There is also some interesting teleportation that happens in that film.  Bronson goes in the front of a building in the San Fernando Valley, but then leaves through the back door and ends up in downtown L.A.?
Laughing very hard You DARE question the Powers of The Mighty Bronson??

Of course Charles Bronson can teleport. Charles Bronson can do whatever the f*ck he wants. He is the Ultimate Bad-Ass. Charles Bronson taught Chuck Norris everything he knows.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013 - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2013
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next