Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record

Go down 
+34
CRIMSONMASK
SpectreFate
Thrasher73
stepcousin
Leatherface
BearOnUnicycle
Addy
Alex Dee Rokket
Chrome Locust
stormspell
stevegarveyfan
80s Metal Lady
Orion Crystal Ice
Required Fields
exact33
brokentulsa
journeyman
DallasBlack
manny
Vexer6
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
Wurthless
Shawn Of Fire
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
thejokeriv
MoonChild
kmorg
James B.
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Witchfinder
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

UK Sellouts!
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_lcap49%Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_rcap
 49% [ 20 ]
Judas Priest - Turbo
Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_lcap22%Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_rcap
 22% [ 9 ]
Saxon - Innocence Is No Excuse
Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_lcap10%Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin
Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_lcap12%Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
Something Else - List Below
Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_lcap7%Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Empty
PostSubject: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 am

Our discussion of Judas Priest's earlier albums in another thread got me to thinking about those mid-80s albums where several UK bands tried to make it big in the US market. Which one is your favorite and why?

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 am

For me, I love The Ultimate Sin. Lightning Strikes, the title track, Shot In The Dark are huge favorites. Jake E. Lee is ripping it up on this album and Randy Castillo's drums are thunderous. There are a couple of crap tracks that haven't aged well, but overall I love it. Ozzy has completely disowned this album, but he has crapped out far worse than this since this platter.

Here's The Ultimate Ozzy "concert" from that era:

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:34 am

I'd probably say The Cult - Electric.

Surprised that Def Leppard - Pyromania isn't up on the list.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I'd probably say The Cult - Electric.

Surprised that Def Leppard - Pyromania isn't up on the list.

Good choices!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 am

I don't really consider SiT to be a sell-out record.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 am

The presence of Jake E. Lee makes Ozzy's choice a contender.

Saxon's choice has good songs, but more are average at best. Which is strange because they have had similar "commercial" tunes on just about every the album before it. surprised

Turbo is at least better than the Saxon album, IMHDO. Just cause Halford sings like well, Halford. Just like Dio, Halford could sing the Yellow Pages or a French cusine menu and make it sound good Laughing very hard

The Maiden album has the better written songs of all the choices given in the poll and they did that "synth guitar thang" WAY better and cohesive than Priest's offering. My choice. cool

As far as Leppard's sellout, I'd give "Hysteria" that honor over "Pyromania" don\'t know At least "Pyromania" resembled the two before it with some balls here and there.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't really consider SiT to be a sell-out record.

I can understand that (perhaps cosign it), but it was a bit of a departure from the previous albums. Like already said by myself, Maiden utilized guitar synth into the songs and didn't make it sound like a gimmick. Unlike Priest, who IMHDO sounded like kids playing with brand new toys in front of the tree on Christmas morning.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 am

The Ultimate Sin gets my vote. I love that album so much. It's such a huge part of my youth, I can still remember every inch of my room growing up whenever I hear a track off of this album.

The reason Ozzy has "disowned" the album is that he doesn't want to pay royalties to Phil Soussan, co-writer of "Shot In The Dark". That the same reason he discontinued "Just Say Ozzy" and "Live & Loud", as they feature said song.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 am

I thought SIT was a stretch on this, but I threw it in because of the synth guitars. I really love that album though.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:06 am

kmorg wrote:
The Ultimate Sin gets my vote. I love that album so much. It's such a huge part of my youth, I can still remember every inch of my room growing up whenever I hear a track off of this album.

The reason Ozzy has "disowned" the album is that he doesn't want to pay royalties to Phil Soussan, co-writer of "Shot In The Dark". That the same reason he discontinued "Just Say Ozzy" and "Live & Loud", as they feature said song.

I thought that too about Phil Soussan, but it's not true. See Phil's comments here:

http://playitloudforever.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/ozzy-osbourne-the-ultimate-sin-1986/
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 am

Out of the list given above, The Ultimate Sin gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I thought SIT was a stretch on this, but I threw it in because of the synth guitars. I really love that album though.

It is a stretch to call it a sell out album... best album on that list!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 am

How about Def Leppard's Pyromania? Also Raven's Pack IS Back. Either could have been on that list as well.

I voted Saxon - Innocence Is No Excuse. Great record.

Last edited by ultmetal on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 am

Witchfinder wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I thought that too about Phil Soussan, but it's not true. See Phil's comments here:

http://playitloudforever.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/ozzy-osbourne-the-ultimate-sin-1986/

Wow, that is very surprising. It makes even less sense to discontinue those titles now. Weird.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 pm

The only one of those I don't listen to is Turbo. SiT is my favorite Maiden album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Somewhere In Time is definitely not a "sell-out" record in any shape or form. Maiden had already conquered the US market and were selling out arenas on the Powerslave tour prior to this.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I just picked SiT because on that list it's my fave...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Somewhere in Time, never personally interested me, but if Pyromania was in that list, it would have gotten my sure vote. The Ultimate Sin is a great album as well hence my vote.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 pm

I think that the only reason that Somewhere in Time could ever be considered a sellout record is the fact that Bruce had been telling everyone who would listen that 'You can't make eavy metal with synthesizers' and then they did just that! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I think that the only reason that Somewhere in Time could ever be considered a sellout record is the fact that Bruce had been telling everyone who would listen that 'You can't make eavy metal with synthesizers' and then they did just that! Laughing very hard

hahaha true possible. But was a weak record as compared to the previous two.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Somewhere In Time ! My favorite of those listed above whether considered a sell out or not. Fantastic album (and I got to see them for the first and only time on this tour) !
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 2:34 pm

I'd have to go with Maiden. The Ultimate Sin would be my next pick, but it has some filler (Thank God for the Bomb, anyone?), while every song is killer on Somewhere in Time.

And like just about everyone else has said, I wouldn't consider Somewhere in Time a sellout album... just a slight departure in execution; it's still very Maiden.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Somewhere in time, although I personally don't think it is a sellout record. Sounds like maiden to me (which is always a good thing)! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Somewhere in Time was not a sellout. But even if it was, it's still great!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Perhaps we don't consider it a sellout today, but I remember vividly that is exactly what we labeled SiT when it was new. Maiden using synths??!! NO WAY!! lol

PostSubject: Re: Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record   Poll:  The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poll: The Best Mid-80s UK Band's American Sellout Record
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next