Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CELTIC FROST fans sound off

Go down 
+13
Leatherface
Lurideath
manny
A Handful of Wayne
sam
SAHB Healer
Invader
Chairman_Smith
ultmetal
novellahub
mc666
krokus
TrogDawn
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

CELTIC FROST fans sound off Empty
PostSubject: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 4:54 pm

I was a casual fan of Morbid Tales back in the day, but I never really followed these guys much after that. I recently made myself a 4 disc comp that contains the majority of their catalogue, and I am digging it quite a lot. They definitely had the thrash thing going, but they had so much more than that and were not afraid to experiment far outside of that boundary - which I love.

Who else digs these innovators?

CELTIC FROST fans sound off 134164_logo

Last edited by on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 4:58 pm

I like them. Not only the famous CELTIC FROST cds but also the less popular COLD LAKE. VANITY/NEMESIS was also underrated.
Beside CF, i love HELLHAMMER, their demos+ep.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 5:02 pm

Celtic Frost is in my top 10 of all time favorites. they were always miles ahead of any band of their time. they managed to explore new realms, without ever sacrificing their heaviness. even the album most consider a "sell out" was only perceived as such because of the image change. the music was still stellar. although their last album wasn't exactly "innovative", it was still outstanding in every sense of the word.

Celtic Frost are awesome, then & now.

TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm

krokus wrote:
I like them. Not only the famous CELTIC FROST cds but also the less popular COLD LAKE. VANITY/NEMESIS was also underrated.
I'm really digging the Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis cd's also. It's great music! Not sure what the big uproar was when they came out, other than the fact that the band looked sort of ridiculous compared to their previous image.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 pm

mc666 wrote:
Celtic Frost is in my top 10 of all time favorites. they were always miles ahead of any band of their time. they managed to explore new realms, without ever sacrificing their heaviness. even the album most consider a "sell out" was only perceived as such because of the image change. the music was still stellar. although their last album wasn't exactly "innovative", it was still outstanding in every sense of the word.

Celtic Frost are awesome, then & now.
Yeah, I'm digging on that. CELTIC FROST fans sound off 309780
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
krokus wrote:
I'm really digging the Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis cd's also. It's great music! Not sure what the big uproar was when they came out, other than the fact that the band looked sort of ridiculous compared to their previous image.

Yes, they looked different (not ridiculous to me) and many die hard fans didnt like that. It was strange to see Warrior with a LA GUNS t-shirt Very Happy. He realy thought that with a ugly face like that he could be popular like MOTLEY CRUE or POISON Very Happy Laughing very hard HE WAS and still is a ugly bastard Very Happy but with a master mind.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Yeah, it tells me that they weren't afraid to try anything - including effecting a "sold out" image. It just confirms their innovative qualities in my mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 6:36 pm

...wouldn't call myself a big fan of CF,but i did like the "Hellhammer" stuff and "Vanity/Nemesis i enjoyed.Especially recall liking the song "Wine In My Hand" (third from the sun) ...anyone else remember that one ?
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:29 pm

IronAge wrote:
Especially recall liking the song "Wine In My Hand" (third from the sun) ...anyone else remember that one ?
Yeah! 🤘 In fact, I just listened to it a few minutes ago! lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm

people tend to dismiss the Hellhammer stuff because it was raw & privative. that's part of its appeal though. it's basically stripped down CF & was the base of the Frost sound through out.

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:56 pm

mc666 wrote:
people tend to dismiss the Hellhammer stuff because it was raw & privative. that's part of its appeal though. it's basically stripped down CF & was the base of the Frost sound through out.

...you got it bro,couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 10:02 pm

There was a thread last week saying Venom was arguably as important on metal as Black Sabbath. While I don't necesarily agree with the Venom comparison, I think Celtic Frost has had a huge unrealized impact on the genre.
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 6:54 am

TrogDawn wrote:
krokus wrote:

I agree as well. The Curt Victor Bryant photo could have been left off the Cold Lake album. sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 am

Juices like...wiiiinnnnnee, like the blood in the sands, Juices like...wiiiiiiinnnne.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:29 am

Hey Scott!
Whats up?
Remember that band from Sweden?
I think they were from Switzerland...
Oh Yeah, whatever happened to them?
I dunno...
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:38 am

Great band. I have only heard two albums from them, but both were good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:45 am

love Celtic Frost, have them all on cd except Cold Lake (which I want but don't want to pay a ton for), though I do have it on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 6:41 pm

I like most of their stuff. I've always felt that Cold Lake was making fun of Hair Metal as much as selling out; so I've always taken it with a sense of humor and I love it.
A unique band, almost in a class by themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 11:36 pm

One of the truly great metal bands. I've been slowly re-purchasing their catalog over the past few years and it's awesome to hear their music again. I bought Morbid Tales on vinyl when it first came out (mostly for the cover) and I've been a fan ever since.

My friends and I used to joke around that you could take some of their slowest songs, speed up the record to 45rpm and it basically sounded like a thrash band.

Anyway, I think they were very influential on many bands...particularly the death & doom scenes.

I haven't heard Cold Lake for years, although I remember it not being all that bad (except maybe Cherry Orchards)...the reason I didn't like it as much was because Warrior didn't play guitar on it.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 am

I enjoy their older stuff, monothest wasn't as good as the older ones to me
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 1:28 pm

I discovered these guys just by chance a long time ago after they broke up. I was looking through a used cd section and saw a couple of their cds. The store used to let you listen to the cds before you bought them so I checked them out and decided to just buy what they had. They were a great band. My favorite song by them is "Circle Of The Tyrants". All of their albums just as any band has its ups and downs but they were still good no matter what they did. I really liked their comeback album monothiest and was really awaiting another album but looks like that is completely far from ever happening again. We'll have to see how Toms new band Triptikon (however you spell it) is going to be.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Tom Fisher wrote this great book published a few years ago " Are You Morbid?" which was a great inside look not only Celtic Frost but the underground metal movement at the that time.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 1:42 pm

I was a huge CF fan as well. Liked everything up to Cold Lake and couldn't stand it. I hated the glam image though.

I'm looking forward to hearing Tom's new band Trypticon!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Love the early stuff and the book Tom put out is a great read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Love Celtic Frost. I like pretty much everything they've done. Even Cold Lake. I caught them live twice on the Monotheist tour. Once headlining and once opening for Type O Negative. I was glad I got to see them before they split up again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CELTIC FROST fans sound off   CELTIC FROST fans sound off Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CELTIC FROST fans sound off
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next