Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First American metal band???

Go down 
+31
Shawn Of Fire
Runicen
TheGreatDuck
stepcousin
journeyman
kmorg
Temple of Blood
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Lurideath
brokentulsa
ZombieHavoc
Dark Horseman
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
jettafiend
ultmetal
James B.
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
Eyesore
nevermore
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
manny
Boris2008
Wurthless
allthingsmetal
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

First American metal band??? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 8:27 pm

When it comes to debating over bands being metal or not, nothing beats being told you are ignorant for not considering Bon Jovi metal.

Yes, there are people out there who believe that you ignorant for having that belief.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Well, I'm an inclusionist. Bon Jovi are metal, pop, rock and probably a bunch of other things, as well.

Also what's often forgotten when discussing popular bands is that being "heavy metal" is not a measure of quality.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:01 pm

I don't care what people call metal, but if you want to call it heavy metal then it needs to be heavy. So If Bon Jovi, Def Leppard or Poison are pop metal then fine, but they are not and never will be heavy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:41 pm

However you wanna classify them...Bon Jovi are, always have been, and always will be....THE ENEMY!!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
However you wanna classify them...Bon Jovi are, always have been, and always will be....THE ENEMY!!!!
No. While they do suck these days, I really don't get why the hate for the '80s albums. Especially considering some people dig tons of '80s AOR and hair metal, including pretty lame bands such as Poison or Pretty Boy Floyd, yet they can't stand BJ, who are vastly superior to those two bands. The first two BJ albums are classics of the genre.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 2:23 am

S.D. wrote:
S.D. wrote:
As I said before it's all just opinion anyway.  Person A) thinks Aerosmith sounds metal, Person B) thinks they sound like hard rock, Person C) thinks they are good ole fashioned Rock 'N' Roll.  

In the end does it really matter?  Not in the slightest.  If you like a band you like them, PERIOD, what someone else calls them means absolutely nothing.

We've had this discussion about once every 3 months for the past several years, we all essentially say the same thing each and every time.  

Still true a few years later. Laughing very hard

This.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 10:44 am

After reading through this whole thread again this morning, I have to agree with Ult and S.D. the most. Props to all who contributed as there is a lot of intelligent discussion and tons of knowledge here on this board.

I believe...

...that all the 70's bands mentioned are definitely Metal. I have never felt otherwise.
...that Blue Cheer was probably the first American Metal band
...that Metal bands don't have to be Metal all the time (every note of every song)and some move in and out of the genre.
...that labels are necessary for description but are borderline ridiculous at times.

I think a lot of people, of all ages, get hung up on the idea of a particular sound and image and/or time and place that determines whether something is Metal or not. They will say that if Band X doesn't look and sound like this, then it's not Metal. The proponents of that band for inclusion in the category always point out what they think is the bands heaviest track while saying "tell me that's not heavy?" and the detractors almost always say "well look at them now" there is no way this is Metal.
All in all, it renders down to opinion. Even when presented with facts like articles and videos and people who lived the scene giving witness, people will still shake their heads and hold their ground.

These discussions are tedious, I know, but it's also part of what I really love about our music is the passion everyone has for it and the way we will defend it to the death.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Remember when this thread was about which band was the first American metal band?  Those were the good old days.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Remember when this thread was about which band was the first American metal band?  Those were the good old days.

Wink

Most people decided that it was Blue Cheer months ago!  Razz
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Wink

Most people decided that it was Blue Cheer months ago!  Razz

Pfffttt. They were wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:47 pm

SUBJECTIVE OPINION is a bitch, ain't it?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
SUBJECTIVE OPINION is a bitch, ain't it?  

Shouldn't you be whining about genres somewhere?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 1:41 pm

First American metal band??? - Page 7 FORtVlH
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 2:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
First American metal band??? - Page 7 FORtVlH

lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Quote :
"I've seen where Cream is sort of held responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Well, I would definitely go for aborting. I loathe and detest heavy metal. I think it is an abortion.

"A lot of these guys come up and say, 'Man, you were my influence, the way you thrashed the drums.' They don't seem to understand I was thrashing in order to hear what I was playing. It was anger, not enjoyment — and painful. I suffered on stage because of that volume crap. I didn't like it then, and like it even less now."

-Ginger Baker, in a recent interview

Guess we can take Cream out of any "proto-metal" category.

Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
"I've seen where Cream is sort of held responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Well, I would definitely go for aborting. I loathe and detest heavy metal. I think it is an abortion.

"A lot of these guys come up and say, 'Man, you were my influence, the way you thrashed the drums.' They don't seem to understand I was thrashing in order to hear what I was playing. It was anger, not enjoyment — and painful. I suffered on stage because of that volume crap. I didn't like it then, and like it even less now."

Laughing very hard

Ginger Baker is a lunatic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Yup. Have you seen the doc 'Beware of Mr. Baker'?

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yup. Have you seen the doc 'Beware of Mr. Baker'?

Yes! Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Laughing very hard

I've seen that documentary about Ginger Baker. Dude "loathes and detests" everything.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 4:55 pm

It's a fact that the first Black Sabbath record was heavily influenced by Cream, no matter what the intention or retrospective feelings of Baker & co they were an extremely important band.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 8:59 am

When it comes to questions of genre, here's the real question to ask: what is useful?

A number of years back, I started getting clever in my iTunes library in genre tags. Damn near every band had it's own amusing version of a "standard" rock/metal tag. After I'd spent all this time and energy laughing at my own cleverness, I came to realize that it made the genre tag pointless.

The real use of a genre tag is in creating this big, generalized "bucket" in which a lot of different - specific - types of material can go. The word "tree" is pretty generalized and we can establish basic criteria for what a "tree" might be, but there's a LOT of room for variance within that one term.

Should metal be that much different? I am with S.D. (trolling on my part aside) with regard to terms like "proto-metal" and the like. It's pandering pseudo-intellectual language that tells you nothing about a band like Deep Purple or Black Sabbath that you wouldn't learn by using a term like "early metal" if you really needed to establish a timeline.

The real fun with music is that pretty much all genres have a lot of really cool stuff in them - stuff that doesn't always sound remotely related. You mix and match those different sounds and textures and you get NEW stuff (which is really where all musical innovation comes from - cross-pollination).

Personally, I've never understood why musicians are so precious about what genre tag their band gets stuck with. So Iommi doesn't see BS as metal... Ok, so?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Many jazz musicians hate the term "jazz", a term coined in the 1920s that many musicians 40 years later thought was a hopelessly outdated name.  Because of that you ended up with a proliferation of sub-genre tags to differentiate what was in a reality an extremely large amount of different music all being shoved under one name.  Bebop, Hard Bop, Post Bop, Soul Jazz, Third Stream, Modal, New Thing, Cool Jazz, West Coast Jazz, Free Jazz, Latin Jazz, Jazz Rock, Fusion, etc.  But really...that just makes it more confusing and the more subgenres you create, the less meaning any of them have.  So basically the same thing that happened to metal with all the crazy sub-classification had already occurred in jazz 30 years before.

The interesting thing is that now, another 50 years after the fact most of the old jazz subgenre designations have fallen out of use and we're basically back to just using the term "jazz" to describe all of it again.

...and to steer this back on topic again. ARMORED SAINT! lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 11:21 am

S.D. wrote:
Which is why when someone like Tony Iommi says that the term heavy metal wasn't applied to their music until later I take his word for it from a historical perspective.  If Tony Iommi says that Sabbath played "heavy rock" then that to me carries more weight than what someone else described it as 5 or 10 or 45 years later.  Musical movements happen...and then labels are applied after the fact.  In the 1940s when bebop emerged the musicians didn't call it "bebop", it wasn't until later that writers coined that term to apply to the style.

...and of course we're still creating terms.  I never heard the term "proto-metal" until the last 10 years or so.  Nobody was using that term in the 1980s.  Back then Black Sabbath was "heavy metal".  Now all of a sudden it's proto-metal or doom metal or 70s metal or however many other descriptors that have come along in the years since.

But if you read Tony's autobiography he now says he understands and agrees with them being the fathers of heavy metal, even if that was not their intention at the start. They were just playing music and the way it came out was 'heavy'. He also explains the difference between Sabbath's heaviness, which he believes was in the guitars, while Zeppelin's heaviness came from the rhythm section. It's funny reading his book how many parallels there were between those two bands, coming from the same neck of the woods, hanging with the same circles, etc., yet the two bands sound so completely different. (Sorry, rabbit trails...)

I remember hearing the term proto-metal in the 1990's to describe bands like Hendrix, Cream, Iron Butterfly, etc. I'm pretty sure I even read the term in books. Doesn't really matter, it's just a term to describe bands whose influence was big on heavy metal even though the bands weren't heavy metal themselves.

Totally agree that in the 80's Sabbath was just "heavy metal". There wasn't even a question about it. Sabbath was metal. Priest was metal. Maiden was metal. It was never even a debate. It's so bizarre to me that it's become a debate in the last 20 years.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 11:27 am

Funny enough, Martin Popoff is releasing a book about this very topic. (Well, almost this topic. Not American metal specifically.)

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 11:40 am

ultmetal wrote:
Funny enough, Martin Popoff is releasing a book about this very topic. (Well, almost this topic. Not American metal specifically.)

It's on my list of books to get. I need to get this one, his new Whitesnake book, his Ozzy book and his big hair metal book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First American metal band???   First American metal band??? - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First American metal band???
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7