Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?

Go down 
+5
the sentinel
Hadley
Glower
Fat Freddy
anthrax_fan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Empty
PostSubject: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 6:52 am

I never see them listed on the "christian metal comparsion" charts I used to see years ago ...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 am

They had some connections to that scene -- they were buddies/occasional tour mates with Stryper (and I believe Michael Sweet produced one of their albums), but if memory serves they never came right out and said "We're a Christian band."

For whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 1:41 pm

" So in early 1987 Wes Heins (president of Enigma) flew out to Boston,
caught a live Mass show and a week later we signed our third record contract.
We connected instantly with Michael.
He knew we were not a Christian band from the start
but a group of down to earth Italian American Catholics
that wrote and sang uplifting positive rock music.
We have always believed in God and his son Jesus
but I chose to sprinkle in our beliefs...here and there....lyrically
in a few of our songs subtly over the years. " - quote from interview.

Last edited by Glower on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Way back when - in Boston - MASS was the first real heavy metal act making waves.
Steel Assassin was another. Meliah Rage. Wargasm. Shout ( not the Christian band ).
Extreme - were first called The Dream - but some sort of legal thing happened.
They got Nunu as a new guitarist - and that was it. Packed clubs everywhere all the time.
But MASS ( short for Massachusetts ?) were very much respected.
It never really happened for them - for whatever reason.
Just like in the case of BANG or The Tears.
Great Boston party bands that opened for KIX, Rough Cutt, Nazareth etc etc
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 3:38 pm

The only album I've heard was Voices in the Night. Good album, if extremely influenced by Stryper musically and even lyrically (there are at least 3 blatantly Christian songs on the album).

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 7:32 pm

No. Not even close. They had some lyrics that had some overtones, a connection to Michael Sweet, and then people misunderstood the name was (as Glower said) the old abbreviation for the state they hailed from. I too have seen them listed on Christian Metal sights and forums and they shouldn't be. They are a killer band though that seemingly got mishandled by inept record execs.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Interesting infos . I know a band which is DEFINITELY not Christian that was always listed on sites like this which is Balance of Power ...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 12:54 am

No they weren’t, why does it even matter? surprised
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 4:04 pm

Who gives a fuck?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Who gives a fuck?

Because it's an interesting question?

Geez, lighten up.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am

There are a number of reasons why some people might choose to only listen to Christian music or have a preference for it, so I think it's a valid question to ask. Especially since it's not always easy to tell the difference between a band made up of Christians (or at least with lyrics written by Christian members) and a fully-fledged "Christian band".
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 pm

"Christian Band" for me , are those who are built as a "ministry" . I no longer care anyways , I was asking just aout of curiosity .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?   Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was the American band "Mass" a Christian Band ?
Page 1 of 1