Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign

Go down 
+11
Lari
mc666
the sentinel
tul
RiseAndFall
Dave the Boss
kmorg
ultmetal
Stender
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Empty
PostSubject: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

A trainee teacher who fronts a gory death metal band whose live act features blood-smeared women has been threatened with dismissal by German authorities.

Unless he abandons his controversial music career with the band Debauchery, Thomas "The Bloodbeast" Gurrath will have to give up his teaching traineeship, according to a report in Bild, the German daily.

The 29-year-old Stuttgart-based teacher and his band have released albums with names like "Kill, Maim, Burn" and "Torture Pit".

The band's live shows and promotional materials feature nude women covered in blood and sado-masochistic equipment.

When a supervisor at Mr Gurrath's school discovered the band's website, the official told education authorities.

But Mr Gurrath defended his hobby, saying it merely reflected the violence in the world around him, according to thelocal.de, the English-language German website.

"I would never give up my music just because the education authorities order it," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7694472/Death-metal-trainee-teacher-told-to-quit-gory-band-or-resign.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Given Germany's rich history of young folks following the whims of a charasmatic leader, it's probably in their best interest to be overly cautious about who is instructing today's youth.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Thats his personal life man, they can't carry that over to where he works not to mention that I'm sure the grisly stage stuff is just an act not to be taken serious. Thats stupid.

This is why weed needs to be mandatory..geez. "Here smoke this....you were taking life to seriously for a second there".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Stender wrote:
Thats his personal life man, they can't carry that over to where he works?

Why not? They do it here all the time. Teachers have background investigations, etc. If something looks suspicious they are not hired. A teacher here in my state was fired because of a DWI. That's his personal life, it happened on a weekend when he was off the clock, but he still was fired from his job for something he did in his personal life. (I realize that a DWI and being in a band are not the same thing, but it still makes my point.)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Forget the mans day job! Post a link to the nekkid women! lol!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:21 pm

I can understand why they fired him though. Not that I condone it, but still.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

My opinion is a bit lop-sided as I'm married to a former teacher and vice-principal, so I know what kind of uproar and distraction this would cause among both the faculty and parents of the student body. So it's better for them to just get rid of the guy than deal with irate parents on a daily basis.

And really, did the teacher in question really think this was not going to be an issue? Personal life or not, when his "outside" work is readily available for viewing on the internet and elsewhere by parents and students alike, you know someone is going to take issue with it.

Metal novice
Metal novice
RiseAndFall

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey there are plenty of other jobs out there. It doesn't sound like he is all that crushed either. He was a trainee not a 10, 20 , 30 year vet at the job, so he isn't losing too too much I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hromcan
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re:   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm

His band is called Debauchery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2FJXg2LnA

official page with pictures: http://www.debauchery.de/
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:18 pm

My opinion is a also biased as I taught High School English for 3 years (in America) so it is easier to dismiss one person (especially a trainee or student teacher who is not paid and/or has signed a contract). Also, as a teacher, you are to be a role model whether you want to be or not, and are instructed never to discuss your personal life with students. They are your students, not your friends! I recall teaching in one of Warwick, RI's 3 high schools and there was a girl who was a student teacher that was dismissed from the program after pictures of her in nothing more risque than a bikini made there way to school. She was a fitness model and competitor (and I believe a former Miss New Hampshire Pageant winner) and absolutely beautiful. The pictures were from a competition and a professional photo shoot that someone found online and made copies of and then distributed. I don't know if she was ever reinstated as I left for another district the following semester. Peace.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:57 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Also, as a teacher, you are to be a role model whether you want to be or not
exactly. my wife is a junior high school teacher & is actually contractually required not to become involved with what could reasonably be considered illegal, "scandalous" or inappropriate.

tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:57 pm

According to the German media this problem started a little bit different.
He had a discussion in class about whether or not playing violent computer games lead to real life violence. He showed his students two research papers from the opposite side. Since he does not play computer games and since this whole thing is disputed he let the students make their own conclusion. However the head of the school became angry/shocked after hearing this. She demanded that it is his duty to condem any violence, be it real or in media. Than she made some research about him and found his background. And than she started screaming around, that he violated human rights ... . Before noone cared.
Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign 447763
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:03 am

I don't find this strange at all. You guys are just too big a metal lovers to realize it. What if he was a gansta rapper and rapped about shooting cops?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:28 am

If he was just playing music, I don't think it would be an issue...but all the things added to the band's image is what's causing the problem...
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:57 am

Rules in Slovenia are also very conservative etc., BUT - here's a picture of INTERCEPTOR frontman - and he is a KINDERGARTEN teacher Wink

Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign 633502573378315293_26_grega%20culk%20interceptor

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:18 am

mc666 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
exactly. my wife is a junior high school teacher & is actually contractually required not to become involved with what could reasonably be considered illegal, "scandalous" or inappropriate.

So she kept her marriage a secret when she was hired? Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 2:29 pm

RiseAndFall wrote:
Hey there are plenty of other jobs out there. It doesn't sound like he is all that crushed either. He was a trainee not a 10, 20 , 30 year vet at the job, so he isn't losing too too much I think.
NORDIQUES, FTW!!!!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Olafsto wrote:
mc666 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

So she kept her marriage a secret when she was hired? Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_razz
pfffftttt Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_razz

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Lari wrote:
I don't find this strange at all. You guys are just too big a metal lovers to realize it. What if he was a gansta rapper and rapped about shooting cops?

I personally would have more or less the same stance, actually.

I know what you mean, though. It wouldn't surprise me if a gangsta rapper who was also a teacher was fired for that reason. There are three genres of music that tend to get abuse from the "Won't somebody please think of the children?" types, and those genres of music are metal, rap, and punk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:17 am

Stender wrote:
This is why weed needs to be mandatory..geez. "Here smoke this....you were taking life to seriously for a second there".

You speak the truth. So many people take life way too seriously. Folks need to learn to just chill.

Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign 438278
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign   Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teacher who is also member of metal band told to quit band or resign
Page 1 of 1