Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best metal documentary?

Go down 
+17
jettafiend
metalhead777
James B.
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
CRIMSONMASK
Addy
Leatherface
nevermore
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wurthless
manny
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
Required Fields
mc666
Chrome Locust
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

Best metal documentary? Empty
PostSubject: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm just fishing TBH in the off chance a cat here may have seen a cool metal doc that I missed. Last one I saw was Lemmy The Movie, really good. The new Saxon doc is out but I can't find it online, any links?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 pm

my favorite is Dream Deceivers, about the James Vance vs Judas Priest trial.

Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

mc666 wrote:

Seen it, bummer. Thanx all the same man. Unreal story, if Priest had lost thatcase it would have been bye bye rock music.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
if Priest had lost that case it would have been bye bye rock music.
no way. this was but a small footnote in rock music. however it was important for Priest.

Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:25 pm

u joking mate? Did u see what IN THE TRANSCRIPTS what was up for grabs??????????
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:32 pm

i don't think you realize how big "rock" music is.... it goes far beyond metal.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 9:26 pm

mc666 wrote:

That's a great documentary, and the one that I view as the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 1:56 pm

I loved Anvil - The story of Anvil, the film maker did an amazing job of making me care about Anvil.

Some Kind of Monster is hilarious in a Spinal Tap way, and showed just how utterly lost a band can get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Not metal, but I vote for the excellent Rush documentary "Beyond The Lighted Stage".

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I still havent' seen "Some Kind of Monster" in its entirety. I recorded it off of VH1 Classic more than a year ago and the DVD-R is still sitting in a stack on top of my TV with all the other stuff that's waiting to be viewed. At the rate I'm going, it's likely to be a while before I get to it...

I saw "Dream Deceivers" in an 'art house' theatre in New York City when it was first released. I wore a Judas Priest t-shirt to the screening. The rest of the audience was elderly art film snobs who looked at me like I was a mass murderer for supporting the band. Haha.

My picks (aside from those already mentioned):

"The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years" never gets old, mainly due to the massive amounts of unintentional comedy.

Former Overkill drummer Rat Skates released a cool "Behind the Music" style documentary DVD called "Born in the Basement" about the early days of Overkill, and thrash metal in general, in 2007. That one's a lot of fun.

I would also rank the little-seen "KISS Loves You" (2004) highly ... and I'm not just saying that because I'm in it for about ten seconds, either. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey is excellent

Heavy: The Story of Metal on VH1 was not bad
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't know if I'd say it's the best, but I quite liked Until the Light Takes Us.

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Just sold my "ultra-rare-hyper-unbelievalble-gotta-have-it-fanclubonly" copy of Heavy Metal Thunder- The Movie for very cheap. Coolhead Productions put my ex-wife's name in the "thank you list".

So, I will still always go with Decline 1 and 2. My generation documented from the west coast perspective from the time I was 14 to 19 [which were my favorite years of life].
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm not sure if I would call it the best but a really good one is Slow Southern Steel. It's about metal bands from south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18960

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 am

A new one called OMM(One Man Metal) is a great little movie about one man black metal acts like Xasthur and Striborg. Catch it on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 5:50 am

Im not a super big fan of Metallica but Id give Some Kind of Monster high marks I thought it was a rockin Documentry

I also like the Foo Fighters one Back and Forth

Tom Petty's Running down a Dream is a really good one, 3 hours long
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 8:09 am

Wurthless wrote:
I don't know if I'd say it's the best, but I quite liked Until the Light Takes Us.

Ooh yeah, that was a good'un.

I also recently saw American Hardcore, that was cool as well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 am

Sam Dunne's "Metal: A Headbangers' Journey" & "Metal Evolution",

"Get Thrashed" by Rat Skates
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

Sam Dunn's docs (and mini-series) are all awesome, including Rush's Behind The Lighted Stage and Iron Maiden's Flight 666
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Sam Dunn annoys me. Mostly because he vocalizes NWOBHM as an actual word!

But I will admit that I enjoyed Global Metal
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Quote :
Sam Dunn annoys me. Mostly because he vocalizes NWOBHM as an actual word!

Oh man, that annoyed the crap out of me too! All through the "Metal Evolution" series, any time I heard him say "Noo-wob-him" I was like "ARRRRGH! That's not a word dammit!"

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 pm

He does incredible docs but yeah, there are some twitchy things about Sam.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

He wore a VoiVod t-shirt while interviewing Rikki Rockett (!) of all people. I wondered if Rikki even knew who that was.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
Sam Dunne's "Metal: A Headbangers' Journey" & "Metal Evolution",

"Get Thrashed" by Rat Skates

Get Thrashed is great!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Quote :

He wore a VoiVod t-shirt while interviewing Rikki Rockett (!) of all people. I wondered if Rikki even knew who that was.

Had to prove he's cooler then the poser he's interviewing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best metal documentary?   Best metal documentary? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best metal documentary?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next