Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Born Again

Go down 
+16
Psychotron
brokentulsa
Orion Crystal Ice
SpectreFate
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
James B.
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
MEGATRON
Animal
mc666
bgast1
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Ian sounds great on Born Again, based on the albums he has recorded since that time his voice was most definitely not "shot". He did have to get surgery in the late 80s to remove nodes from his vocal chords, but he recovered just fine.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

I always thought ol' Ian was just tryin to be headbanger on that album

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

James B. wrote:
I always thought ol' Ian was just tryin to be headbanger on that album

Totally, he has stated in interviews that he had no idea how to be "metal" because he never considered himself to be "of that image". So I think he just went over the top as possible and it completely worked, especially due to his trademark humor. He generally speaks fondly of the album now (despite the album cover and the mix).

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 am

I like all Sabbath records to some degree. Some are a little medicore, such as Forbidden, but I have no problem listening to it.

Born Again, however, is great in my opinion. Not much else to say.

On a related note, my favorite Black Sabbath purchase ever was a copy of Technical Ecstasy on vinyl for a quarter. The album iteself is one of my least favorite in the BS catalog. What I liked about this was that when I got home with my stack of records on that day, I notced a small, ball point pen drawing of a penis on the Technical Ecstasy cover. For some reason, this cracked me up to no end.

I don't have the record any more, as a few years ago I sold all my vinyl that I had at the time. It's okay though. I like to think that whoever stumbled across that album after me had as much of a laugh from it.

I don't know why I found it so funny. Maybe because it was so small and unassuming, you didn't even notice it at first. Maybe because I thought of it as the previous owners own commentary on that particular album. Who knows. But it made me laugh.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 am

Quote :
yeah, I love 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', but I found out that 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' is by far the worst Pink Floyd record, and the worst prog rock record, and this and this and that, when I got the Internet a long time ago. lol!

Oh man, I hear this. People complain about that 80's drum sound but if i'm correct, it was the 80's. Momentary was a different Floyd but still high quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

Oh man, I hear this. People complain about that 80's drum sound but if i'm correct, it was the 80's. Momentary was a different Floyd but still high quality.

David Gilmour hates the drum sound on that album, which is why Nick Mason has re-recorded all the drum parts for an upcoming deluxe edition of Momentary.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm sure it will be interesting to hear, but I always feel weird about re-recordings. Especially when it is just certain parts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 am

jstate wrote:
I'm sure it will be interesting to hear, but I always feel weird about re-recordings. Especially when it is just certain parts.

I think it's a different situation in this case. Nick Mason barely plays on the studio album of Momentary, he came into the sessions at the last minute. But he did play on the tour for the album and added his own spin on the parts. This is his chance to add his contributions to the original studio recording...so I think it's kind of cool. They have also grabbed some of Rick Wright's keyboard parts from live performances and edited them into the album, because he made some changes to the keyboard arrangements live and Gilmour prefers those versions.

The original album will be included in the same deluxe edition, so it's not like they are "replacing" the original version (ala the Ozzy fiasco), it's just going to be a new way to experience an old favorite.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Cool that the original is part of the package. I had visions of another Ozzy deal. I will be getting that then. I've been real impressed with the Floyd remasters.

Gave Born Again a spin this morning. Do I still ever love this album. I need to shoot that Deluxe Edition to the top of the must purchase list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:51 pm

jstate wrote:
Cool that the original is part of the package. I had visions of another Ozzy deal. I will be getting that then. I've been real impressed with the Floyd remasters.

Gave Born Again a spin this morning. Do I still ever love this album. I need to shoot that Deluxe Edition to the top of the must purchase list.

If you have the previous single disc of Born Again then don't waste your time on the deluxe edition which actually sounds worse.

Tony Iommi wanted to remix the entire album but the master tapes cannot be located.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Drives me crazy when...

Quote :
the master tapes cannot be located.

Honestly how does stuff like this happen?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Mine is a decently remastered UK only release. Someone sold their whole Sabbath collection at the FYE and I picked ut up from there.

Can't wait for that new 'Momentary' deluxe edition. Hope the packaging is legendary, that's some of my favorite Storm stuff on the cover and in the booklet.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm

jstate wrote:
Drives me crazy when...

Quote :
the master tapes cannot be located.

Honestly how does stuff like this happen?

It's easier than you'd think. All tapes look the same and if they aren't labeled correctly, or more importantly, not labeled at all, someone cleaning up the studio at the end of the day has no idea that the reel he's using to prop up the wobbly table leg in the break-room is Tony Iommi's 5th take on the solo for 'Disturbing the Priest'.

Or the tapes might be labeled with some production code that only makes sense to those that are cataglogging things. Reading a label that says "BS_Tk. 5_060471" doesn't tell you that it's important, even if it is a recording of a drunken Ian Gillan calling Sharon Osbourn a c*nt.

I'm only speaking from experience in the sports arena video world, but I can't imagine the recording industry being much different.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm only speaking from experience in the sports arena video world, but I can't imagine the recording industry being much different.

Both are populated by humans...and humans are dumb. lol!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:21 pm

True. And if books, tv and movies have taught me anything, it's that everyone in the music industry was on drugs in the 70's and 80's. "Misplaced a what now? Whatever. Who's got the coke?"

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Many of the major labels decided to stop warehousing their own product and started farming that out to services like "Iron Mountain". So all the tapes get moved from their original location (which likely changed a couple times over the years already) to a huge storage facility and in the process stuff gets mis-labled and mis-filed. The labels aren't exactly bending over backward to assign staff to locate these missing items either.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Rare pic of Iron Mountin's tape warehouse...

Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Raiders_of_the_lost_ark_government_warehouse_new

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Rare pic of Iron Mountin's tape warehouse...

Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Raiders_of_the_lost_ark_government_warehouse_new

Being taken care of by "top men".
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Mine is a decently remastered UK only release. Someone sold their whole Sabbath collection at the FYE and I picked ut up from there

That's what mine is, I believe. I actually bought mine at a chain store (that's no longer in business) that for the life of me I can't remember the name of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Born Again
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2