Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Born Again

Go down 
+16
Psychotron
brokentulsa
Orion Crystal Ice
SpectreFate
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
James B.
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
MEGATRON
Animal
mc666
bgast1
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Black Sabbath - Born Again Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am

Haven't posted here in ages, but I think I am back.

That said....I may get castigated here for my opinion, but I love Black Sabbath's - Born Again....I like just about everything if not everything with Ian Gillan.

Huge Deep Purple fan here.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 am

Welcome back Bob, long time coming. That particular era of Sabbath isn't really for me, but some gents here will lap this up.

Animal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 am

I remember that album. The video for "Trashed" used to be all over MTV.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 6:59 am

I used to like the album, but I can't listen to it anymore. The production kills it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:04 am

Love Born Again ! It may be my favorite Sabbath album. Great songs start to finish. I never had a problem with the production but I believe I have a remastered version.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 am

I love this album as well.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 am

I dig it. "Zero the Hero," "Trashed," "Disturbing the Priest"... all great stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 am

I love the 'Born Again', and I am huge Ian Gillan fan. Also for me, this was the second or third concert I ever saw, so that may have a huge influence on my feelings for that disc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 am

I like it too. I'd never heard it until just a few years ago, so I had no preconceived notions about how it was supposed to be. I just listened to it for what it was and liked it. The prodution issues aren't a problem for me.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am

good album

showed another aspect of Sabbath aside from the original and Dio line ups

On the tour, Gillian "performed" the Ozzy era stuff better than Dio did (IMHDO)

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like it too. I'd never heard it until just a few years ago, so I had no preconceived notions about how it was supposed to be. I just listened to it for what it was and liked it. The prodution issues aren't a problem for me.

Same here and my ears are not as tuned to some, regarding production standards etc, either it sounds good to me or it doesn't
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 am

I find it to be fair with a couple very good songs. (hey Bob, Brent here)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 pm

"Born Again" rules! It's one of my favorites. It's a stinkin' heavy record!

It was also one of my early concert experiences. My first time seeing Sabbath was on the Born Again tour. Quiet Riot opened the show! It was a historic concert, not only for it's relevance to Spinal Tap, but also because it was Sabbath with Gillan! People thought Sabbath playing Smoke on the Water was blasphemy. I thought it was outstanding!

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

One of those records that was initially derided, then became a cult classic and eventually started getting some respect. Considering that Warner Bros. assembled this version of the band to fulfill contractual obligations (not exactly the way to foster great art), the band surprisingly responded by producing a truly monstrous record...when I think many bands would have just gone on autopilot under the same situation.

Sure, it's a little sloppy here and there, the production is mediocre at best and Gillan gives a textbook example of "over the top" in his performance...yet it still works beautifully and is a classic album.

Heavier than the Dio records that preceded it and most definitely more intense than the Tony Martin era, it's a great album for people looking for a rawer, more ferocious Black Sabbath experience.

Plus Born Again actually has Bill Ward on it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Quote :
Heavier than the Dio records that preceded it

Nah.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Uneven, thrown together, still some great songs. DISTURBING THE PREEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSST
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm

I really like this album. Ian sounds good with tonys playing style. I wish this lineup would have done more albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I really like this album. Ian sounds good with tonys playing style. I wish this lineup would have done more albums.

Shortly after the tour was completed the Mark II lineup of Deep Purple got back together and recorded Perfect Strangers. So I'm perfectly happy with the way history worked out. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Shortly after the tour was completed the Mark II lineup of Deep Purple got back together and recorded Perfect Strangers. So I'm perfectly happy with the way history worked out. Very Happy

No doubt. Besides the fact that this line-up was straight-up poison. They would have killed each other.

However, I do agree that it would have been cool if they had recorded more music during their short existence.

Gillan hated the album cover art, hated the album's mix, etc.

It is what it is, part of heavy metal history. headbanger

Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Who doesn't love that demon baby on the cover? I really like this album.

"Keep it Warm", "Zero the Hero", "Disturbing the Priest." Gotta love it.

The deluxe edition rules too. Gillan could really wail on those Ozzy songs. Forget the Ozzy reunion! Iommi, Geezer, Ward, and Gillan should get back together and call the band....
"Born Again"
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm

This was my first Sabbath record. I had become a big Ozzy and Dio fan so of course I had to check out their former band. I either got it at a yard sale or maybe GL Perrys five n dime store. I loved it. And still do. I have the British remaster from a few years back. Sometime need to pick up the deluxe version.

Funny thing about Sabbath without Ozzy or Dio is I never realized the backlash these albums had. In my own world they were just the band carrying on and putting out stuff I liked. Wasn't till I got on the internet that I realized the hate and dislike these records elicit.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:02 pm

jstate wrote:

Funny thing about Sabbath without Ozzy or Dio is I never realized the backlash these albums had. In my own world they were just the band carrying on and putting out stuff I liked. Wasn't till I got on the internet that I realized the hate and dislike these records elicit.

yeah, I love 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', but I found out that 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' is by far the worst Pink Floyd record, and the worst prog rock record, and this and this and that, when I got the Internet a long time ago. lol!
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Me, I discover things late all the time. Hardly ever get involved with researching much of the drama going on. Just love the music. That's what it is all about for me.

But, that being said, now days I will pull up metal archives or Wikipedia when I play a CD.

Much of my collection is from eMusic or iTunes or Amazon so the most I get is Cover Art unless I get something special from iTunes. I still prefer the hard copies but storage is a problem for me and I can't take them with me.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 6:23 pm

mc666 wrote:
Welcome back Bob, long time coming. That particular era of Sabbath isn't really for me, but some gents here will lap this up.

It was a strange album that, brother. The mix and concept of Gillian and Sabbs was mouth watering, the product I actually really liked, but Ian's vocals were shot TBH, his best days were behind him; and to replace Dio was never really a happener. It was a one album trip, nice experiment - but both Gillian and Sabbs careers were heading into hasbeen land. Dio
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm

PS: I saw Sabbath with Gillian in 1983, and it was at best, blame it on the sound to be kind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Born Again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next