Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Born Again

Go down 
+13
troublemagnet
Metal Misfit
Fat Freddy
James B.
metalinmyveins
nevermore
zombiewalkin
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Troublezone
DeathCult
SAHB Healer
journeyman
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Black Sabbath - Born Again Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Does anyone know why this cd has never been released in the US. I ended up having to get it from itunes, which is not something I like to do. The $50 for an import copy was just too steep. Also, are there any plans to remaster the album. I love this album, but it could benefit from a remastering.

I have been listening to this album continually for the last couple of days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 12:52 pm

I've wanted this one for ages. Last year (when I actually had money), I saw a sealed imported copy of it at a local used cd store, but passed on it because I thought it was too much. At the time, I wasn't quite as big a Sabbath fan as I am now. I think I had only the Ozzy albums at the time. Well, like two months later (this was last summer), I got the Dio albums, and my interest in all things Sabbath shot up. Now, I really regret passing up on it.

I saw a Sabb tribute band back in January, and they actually played "Zero The Hero". Oddly, they also played "Crazy Train" and "Bark At The Moon" (plus some Dio-era stuff), but didn't play "Black Sabbath". Go figure, eh?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 7:18 pm

I think I got it in the racks for $8.99; but that was 10 years ago or so. It should be re-released again soon I would think, as people like it. However as I've said before here, that album never really did it for me. The combination of good time rocker Gillan with Iommi's heavy riffing just doeasn't work for me. It comes off as a ponderous rock n' roll record. It's not bad or anything, but I've just never really acquirred a taste for it. For what it's worth, I seem to be one of the few that fail to appreciate Born Again. I probably expected to much of the Gillan/Sabbath combination, as I'm a huge fan of both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 pm

I never thought that I'd like Born Again. I had always preferred Sabbath when Ozzy was in the band. "Accept no substitutes". Outside of a few sample listenings, I never bothered to recognize this, nor did I recognize the Dio-era albums, despite being a fan of both singers.

However, not too long ago, I decided to give this album a listen. Surprisingly, I liked it. Gillan's voice didn't really fit the music, and to me, that just worked, somehow. "Disturbing The Priest" is the most underrated Sabbath song in their entire catalogue.

I also have a soft spot for that horrendous album cover. It's so bad, it's good.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:13 am

My favorite Sabbath album 🤘 .
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:27 am

journeyman wrote:
Does anyone know why this cd has never been released in the US. I ended up having to get it from itunes, which is not something I like to do. The $50 for an import copy was just too steep. Also, are there any plans to remaster the album. I love this album, but it could benefit from a remastering.

I have been listening to this album continually for the last couple of days.

The import i saw at Tower a few years ago was $12 and remastered with that little silver sticker on the front like all the other Sabbath remasters.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 am

I purchased my copy fairly cheap. I think it's an awesome album! Gillan is a tremendous vocalist and does a top notch job for the Sabs. Too bad it was the only album he recorded with them.

I saw this tour with Quiet Riot opening as well. What an incredible experience. It was the one and only tour that Sabbath played Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water".

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:11 am

Yea, I've seen this album (remasterd version) at Best Buy for under $15 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:15 am

Quote :
I saw this tour

If i had a nickel for everytime you said that... just kidding Smile
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am

Quote :
It's not bad or anything, but I've just never
really acquirred a taste for it. For what it's worth, I seem to be one
of the few that fail to appreciate Born Again.

You are not alone my friend. I too give this cd rare spins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Sanctuary and Castle have both issued it in the 90s and 2000's...were neither of those U.S. issue?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 8:26 am

I got my copy for about $12. It's an excellent album and imo a very underrated Sabbath release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 10:46 am

My fave Sab album as well. I thought this short lived era of the band was pretty cool.

I managed to snag some audio and video from the tour. Nice to have.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 am

I've got a Born Again question regarding the tour. I've checked out a few boots from this tour, and I wonder why the band never included the song "Trashed" on this tour? It's the first track on the album, they shot a video for the song, so why was there no love for this tune? I know that Wikipedia isn't totally 100% reliable, but they showed which songs were played on the tour, and then had a list of Black Sabbath songs which were just rehearsed for the tour, but never played live...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Again_Tour_1983
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I've got a Born Again question regarding the tour. I've checked out a few boots from this tour, and I wonder why the band never included the song "Trashed" on this tour? It's the first track on the album, they shot a video for the song, so why was there no love for this tune? I know that Wikipedia isn't totally 100% reliable, but they showed which songs were played on the tour, and then had a list of Black Sabbath songs which were just rehearsed for the tour, but never played live...

I don't remember the setlist surprised

I do remember the "Stonehenge" stage set headbanger

I ate too much "shrooms", pissed my 501's, and had to walk home \'arry \'eadbanger

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:23 am

James B. wrote:

I don't remember the setlist surprised

I do remember the "Stonehenge" stage set headbanger

I ate too much "shrooms", pissed my 501's, and had to walk home \'arry \'eadbanger

Ah, I don't remember those times fondly! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

They did a run through of a bunch of tracks before the tour started to see what would sound good live and Trashed didn't make the cut.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 am

Quote :
Unofficial BLACK SABBATH web site Black-Sabbath.com has revealed more details about the forthcoming deluxe-expanded-edition reissue of BLACK SABBATH's "Born Again" album. Due in the U.K. on May 30 via Sanctuary, the two-disc effort is expected to feature the following track listing:

Disc 1: (marked as "Original Album")

01. Trashed
02. Stonehenge
03. Disturbing the Priest
04. The Dark
05. Zero The Hero
06. Digital smurfette
07. Born Again
08. Hot Line
09. Keep It Warm

Disc 2:

01. The Fallen (previously unreleased album session outtake)
02. Stonehenge (extended version)

Recorded live at the Reading Festival on Saturday, August 27, 1983 (BBC "Friday Rock Show" broadcast):

03. Hot Line
04. War Pigs
05. Black Sabbath
06. The Dark
07. Zero The Hero
08. Digital smurfette
09. Iron Man
10. Smoke On The Water
11. Paranoid

While I'm pretty much on the "don't care" side of the fence with all these Sabbath re-issues, this one looks interesting to me for the 2nd disc. Hearing Ian on the classics is intriging.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Good news. That's a great sounding bootleg they are using on disc 2 (it's been released under a plethora of titles).

It will be interesting to see if they actually remastered the original album or if they were just re-using the Castle version.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Quote :
Digital smurfette

Laughing very hard The Cuss Filter strikes again!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Digital smurfette

Laughing very hard The Cuss Filter strikes again!!

The possibilities with the various shades of blue are limitless

DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Awesome news! As good as the Reading show is, Im kind of surprised they didn't go with the Worcester boot.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Re-mastered, NOT re-mixed...

Quote :
Joe Siegler of the unofficial BLACK SABBATH web site Black-Sabbath.com has revealed more details about the forthcoming deluxe-expanded-edition reissue of BLACK SABBATH's "Born Again" album, which is due in the U.K. on May 30 via Sanctuary. He writes, "It's been heavily rumored for some time now that 'Born Again' was getting a little extra treatment. In the Universal Deluxe Edition series, they went from 'Heaven And Hell' / 'Mob Rules' / 'Live Evil' to the release batch that had 'Seventh Star' and 'Eternal Idol' (November 2010). Then in February 2011, they did 'Dehumanizer'. 'Born Again' got skipped over. I was told earlier in 2010 that 'Born Again' was going to be skipped (even before its turn in the original release order came up), because they were doing some extra work on it, hence the extra time, or 'delay.' I later came to believe from a couple of sources that it was because it was finally getting the legendary 'proper mix.'

"You've all heard the stories about Ian Gillan's hearing the final mix and throwing up. Well, the rumors go that the 2011 release of the album would do away with Mr. Gillan's propensity for vomiting in regards to the final mix.

"When the news broke of what is going to be on the 'Born Again' two-CD Deluxe Edition a couple of days ago, I decided to look into the status of the original album's representation in the package. Much to the disappointment of several people, I was told that the album was not remixed — it was just remastered. When I inquired why, I was told that they couldn't find the original multi-track master tapes that would be needed to do a remix. This was the primary reason for the delay, that they kept trying to track down the multi-tracks to do a remix, but could not. They couldn't delay the release indefinitely, so instead, they opted for a completely new remaster. The only other time the album was remastered was in 1996 for the Castle remaster series.

"It's disappointing yes, but all is not lost.

"[BLACK SABBATH guitarist] Tony Iommi's manager did go on to say this: 'The tapes have been held by a number of labels — Vertigo, Castle, Sanctuary, Universal, and moved around, which is why we still have hopes that they have simply been separated.'

"They haven't completely given up hope on the 'proper remix' project, which is good news."

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 pm

They need a remix, not just a remaster.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

What Ult said. I'll not be purchasing this until the original master tapes are located and a proper release is done.

the recent Thin Lizzy deluxe editions are a joke as well, they just re-used the 1998 German mastering for the main albums.

No wonder people don't want to spend money on music anymore, shoddy releases don't make me pull out the old wallet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again   Black Sabbath - Born Again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Born Again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next