Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes

Go down 
+22
exact33
Joe
Dark Horseman
mikeinfla
jettafiend
jstate
ohwellmonkey
James B.
Andy
Required Fields
ZombieHavoc
Vexer6
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Olafsto
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
kmorg
manny
Fat Freddy
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Quote :
I don't see this as big of a sell out as most of the hipsters on here

You're almost as wrong with this statement as you were calling CCR from the south.

Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
THEY KIN HAVE MAH CEE-DEE'S WHEN THEY PRY'EM FROM MAH COLD DEAD FINGERS DAMMIT! angry AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 19976

Amen brother!!!!!!! Digital has no all round artwork that helps make the record.
Til then I'll keep collecting til my body turns blue.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 am

My belief is that the record companies have pretty much always operated on the "singles only" philosophy. At least since I started listening in the early eighties (it does seem like the 70's was a move away from that however). Even before the digital age they still pushed things like cassingles. Once the digital age came they had already conditioned the music buying public that whole albums weren't needed, just the hits from radio. And now they could just illegally download those. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "why do you buy music when you can just get it for free off the internet?". And even amongst people I know who are big itunes buyers they only buy the single song and truly think it strange that I still want to buy physical product. The only thing they think is even odder is that I love/listen to whole albums. Seems like the music business model has just reaped what it sowed all these years.

I can't image all the itunes sales that AC/DC will ring up for "Black In Black". Even with the crooked accounting they'll make some good money off this. Surprised they held out this long.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 am

I don't know about AC/DC, but I know sometimes bands have iTunes stuff where the whole album is album-only. I'm sure that deters some potential sales from people who only want "Hells Bells"...but that's one way to try and keep people into your music as an album, not a single.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I don't know about AC/DC, but I know sometimes bands have iTunes stuff where the whole album is album-only. I'm sure that deters some potential sales from people who only want "Hells Bells"...but that's one way to try and keep people into your music as an album, not a single.

You'd make a lot less money doing it that way, consumers don't like restrictions. If forced to buy an entire album just to get a specific song or two...they will download them illegally instead.

As bad as music sales are bands need to keep their potential customers as happy as possible and be thankful for anything that actually sells.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:31 pm

I do have a couple of "singles" that I bought off of iTunes for a couple of bucks, but with a band like AC/DC, Maiden, Priest etc. I am buying the albums one at a time either from my local record store or off of Amazon because I do want the physical copy. I bought 2 Overkill albums, Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Dark side of the Moon for $5 each during an Amazon special. I also got Pantera - Greatest Hits for $4 from Amazon.

Some albums I definitely want to replace my digital with my physical copies, but some I truly don't care about.

I will say tho, that my iPod died recently, which sucks but I have to carry a few CD's with me in the van for my listening pleasure now. I popped in an album and I was blown away! I have an Alpine deck with the stock 8-speaker system and the difference in quality is amazing. The physical CD sounded 10x better than the digital copy through my iPod. This fact alone makes me want to avoid buying digital again.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

You'd make a lot less money doing it that way, consumers don't like restrictions. If forced to buy an entire album just to get a specific song or two...they will download them illegally instead.

As bad as music sales are bands need to keep their potential customers as happy as possible and be thankful for anything that actually sells.

QFFT

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm

jettafiend wrote:

I will say tho, that my iPod died recently, which sucks but I have to carry a few CD's with me in the van for my listening pleasure now. I popped in an album and I was blown away! I have an Alpine deck with the stock 8-speaker system and the difference in quality is amazing. The physical CD sounded 10x better than the digital copy through my iPod. This fact alone makes me want to avoid buying digital again.

Some of that quality loss can also been inherent in the connection you are using from the iPod to the stereo, if you are using a cheap Y cable bought at Wal-Mart for $5 the quality will be much less than a $50 Monster cable, for instance.

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

QFFT

I agree with that too.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I honestly can't tell the difference between listening to my iPod and a CD most of the time, i'll admit there are times when I will only download a few songs instead of a whole album, but that's only in cases where the album in question only has a few songs I actually like, like Linkin Park's "Living Things" the only really good songs of that album for me were "Burn It Down" "Lost In The Echo" and "Roads Untraveled" the rest were pretty average and forgettable.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm

S.D. wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Some of that quality loss can also been inherent in the connection you are using from the iPod to the stereo, if you are using a cheap Y cable bought at Wal-Mart for $5 the quality will be much less than a $50 Monster cable, for instance.

It is a dual-male audio cable from Radio Shack that I paid something like $10 for so that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I am not hip to the technical terms.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Just went on iTunes and checked out AC/DC. Didn't see any "album only" songs listed on there. All the albums are 9.99 and you're probably better off picking up the physical CD from WalMart or somewhere I think those are around 8 bucks. However I had to grab the Jailbreak single as I have wanted that song for years. Had the 74 Jailbreak cassette when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I love having physical product. I love holding the CD/entity in my hands and all that goes along with it.

HOWEVER -

I am beginning to feel inklings of "maybe I should let it go". Space, other priorities, etc have been steering me in this direction and, honestly, I think I still keep buying random, cheap CDs out of habit and denial. LOL! So, I may be following S.D.'s lead sometime soon.

Still keep my ultra-favorite stuff (anything related to The Beatles, U2, King's X, Perry-Journey, boxed sets, and a very select group of albums outside of this) and convert everything else to high-quality digital. I've asked for a 1TB external hard drive for Christmas...so we'll see.

I have a networked 2TB hard drive that I can listened to my ALBUMS anywhere in the house on my laptop or my home theater system (my DIRECTV box will play music from my hard drive \m/). I have started buying SOME digital music (favorites like Iron Maiden will ALWAYS be purchased in physical copies), but often those are ripped to the hard drive and boxed up in the basement..... and I will keep them until the day I die!!!!!!!!!

I don't have an issue with buying digital.... in fact, I just purchased a new hard drive to make a back up of my networked hard drive. But, there is nothing the taking the wrapper off a new CD!!!!!

I'm picking out my external hard drive pretty soon....so I have put up the first round of CDs/DVDs that I am selling off over in the Market forum...if anyone wants to check it out.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:21 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I love having physical product. I love holding the CD/entity in my hands and all that goes along with it.

HOWEVER -

I am beginning to feel inklings of "maybe I should let it go". Space, other priorities, etc have been steering me in this direction and, honestly, I think I still keep buying random, cheap CDs out of habit and denial. LOL! So, I may be following S.D.'s lead sometime soon.

Still keep my ultra-favorite stuff (anything related to The Beatles, U2, King's X, Perry-Journey, boxed sets, and a very select group of albums outside of this) and convert everything else to high-quality digital. I've asked for a 1TB external hard drive for Christmas...so we'll see.

I have a networked 2TB hard drive that I can listened to my ALBUMS anywhere in the house on my laptop or my home theater system (my DIRECTV box will play music from my hard drive \m/). I have started buying SOME digital music (favorites like Iron Maiden will ALWAYS be purchased in physical copies), but often those are ripped to the hard drive and boxed up in the basement..... and I will keep them until the day I die!!!!!!!!!

I don't have an issue with buying digital.... in fact, I just purchased a new hard drive to make a back up of my networked hard drive. But, there is nothing the taking the wrapper off a new CD!!!!!

I'm picking out my external hard drive pretty soon....so I have put up the first round of CDs/DVDs that I am selling off over in the Market forum...if anyone wants to check it out.

Hey man, just wanted to throw this out there. I recommend making sure you really, really are ready to switch to MP3.

I bought CDs frequently from 1993, when I first got a CD player, until 2006. I had a pretty decent sized collection (not as big as some of the guys here, of course, but still...normal people would be in awe when they saw it. Heh.).

In 2006, I quit my job to go back to school. I decided to sell my CD collection to supplement my income. I thought I was ready. I was not. Months later, I started to really really regret selling my CDs.

Now, I've been buying CDs again, but with a wife, 11-month-old son, mortage, and just different priorities all around, I of course do not buy them like I used to. My tiny little CD collection bums me out. Really miss my old collection.

So, just a word from experience. Ha. But I know a lot of people have made the switch, sold their huge collections (or just kept them boxed up in the closet or whatever), and never looked back for a second.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

HOWEVER -

Hey man, just wanted to throw this out there. I recommend making sure you really, really are ready to switch to MP3.

I bought CDs frequently from 1993, when I first got a CD player, until 2006. I had a pretty decent sized collection (not as big as some of the guys here, of course, but still...normal people would be in awe when they saw it. Heh.).

In 2006, I quit my job to go back to school. I decided to sell my CD collection to supplement my income. I thought I was ready. I was not. Months later, I started to really really regret selling my CDs.

Now, I've been buying CDs again, but with a wife, 11-month-old son, mortage, and just different priorities all around, I of course do not buy them like I used to. My tiny little CD collection bums me out. Really miss my old collection.

So, just a word from experience. Ha. But I know a lot of people have made the switch, sold their huge collections (or just kept them boxed up in the closet or whatever), and never looked back for a second.

Thanks for the advice. I get it.

About 10 years back, I was forced to sell off most of my CDs for financial reasons (around 500 back then). So, I've been without before. When we got out of the hole, I was excited that I could begin to build it again. I have even got my son into it. My initial goal was to ONLY buy my all-time, ultimate favorite stuff in hard copy. But as time went on, and things were so cheap, I decided to abandon that and just buy whatever I want. I'm now up to about 900 (not all of them are on RYM).

I'm 41, moving into some life transitions (kid in college, thinking of moving/selling this house, possibly changing careers, etc) and due to space, time & desire I decided to go back to my original goal....ONLY buy my all-time, ultimate favorite stuff in hard copy.

This means anything related to The Beatles, King's X, U2 and Perry-era Journey...possibly Kansas (solo albums, side-projects, boots, box sets, etc). Everything else, I listen to it in passing and only sporadically and can live just fine having it in 256k MP3 form. It will decrease the amount of space I need to store stuff, look neater, and add more personal value to my collection.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 am

I pick and choose. Some stuff I only want the songs so I go the download route but some I want a hard copy. I think a lot of us do this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

About 10 years back, I was forced to sell off most of my CDs for financial reasons (around 500 back then)

I've actually done that twice in my life, it's never easy. Around 2007 I sold off the majority of my collection, at that time I owned about 1000 rock CDs and about 2500 Jazz CDs.

I was just beginning to re-purchase part of the collection when I came to the realization that it just wasn't necessary for my enjoyment any longer, having the physical items just meant I had to move/store them, buy shelves, etc. I decided the "clutter" wasn't necessary, I re-formatted my stereo system and made my Mac the primary component and I've never looked back.

When I buy physical items these days it is usually deluxe editions that contain bonus material, DVDs, etc. Otherwise I buy LPs, blu-rays, Hi-Rez downloads from artists I truly love...for the "occasional" listens Spotify fills the void nicely.

At some point I'd like to put together a respectable little LP collection again, but aside from that my "collecting" days are done.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah, between my iPod and Spotify, I think I'll be fine if I ever want to hear Fates Warning or Tesla again...LOL!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Since there are still some independant music stores in my area, I still try to get the physical product. I'll go with what's available to me (CD or vinyl). I do have a download account, but that's for music that is harder to get a physical copy of. I figure, why deprive myself of hearing something just because I don't own a physical copy?

Collecting/listening to music is one of the few hobbies that I have. I still love going to a music store and finding something new. If it gets me out of the house, that's a good thing!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

HOWEVER -

Thanks for the advice. I get it.

About 10 years back, I was forced to sell off most of my CDs for financial reasons (around 500 back then). So, I've been without before. When we got out of the hole, I was excited that I could begin to build it again. I have even got my son into it. My initial goal was to ONLY buy my all-time, ultimate favorite stuff in hard copy. But as time went on, and things were so cheap, I decided to abandon that and just buy whatever I want. I'm now up to about 900 (not all of them are on RYM).

I'm 41, moving into some life transitions (kid in college, thinking of moving/selling this house, possibly changing careers, etc) and due to space, time & desire I decided to go back to my original goal....ONLY buy my all-time, ultimate favorite stuff in hard copy.

This means anything related to The Beatles, King's X, U2 and Perry-era Journey...possibly Kansas (solo albums, side-projects, boots, box sets, etc). Everything else, I listen to it in passing and only sporadically and can live just fine having it in 256k MP3 form. It will decrease the amount of space I need to store stuff, look neater, and add more personal value to my collection.

I have pretty much decided now to stop buying cds and download from now on. My company just let go 2/3 of their workforce at my site and cut salaries for those who survived. I am just going to download and youtube what songs I want from now on - in the end its the music that matters.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 5:41 pm

It's expanded how much music I can get, this download thingy.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 9:05 am

AC/DC have re-entered the charts after their music was released on itunes. Back In Black from 1980 has reached number 31 while 1979′s Highway To Hell made number 40.

All 16 studio albums, four live records and three compilations are now available in Apple’s Mastered For iTunes range, with individual songs, full albums and a $150 Complete Collection on sale.

Meanwhile, the band’s Back In Black album has been added to the Grammy Hall of Fame collection in the USA. The establishment seeks to continually build a body of recorded work that “exhibits qualitative or historical significance.”

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
...possibly Kansas (solo albums, side-projects, boots, box sets, etc).

Didn't know that you were a Kansas fanboy. I love me some of Kansas myself, have a live boot from about every tour.

Have you heard the live boot of the Monolith Tour where they play the whole album over the air???? I wish Kansas would officially release this................
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 1:53 am

I'll be honest, as much as I love owning the physical product, the simple fact that I have such a large collection is the only thing that keeps me buying CDs. I still love the music, of course, but I'd have no issues paying $9.99 for a download instead of $15.99 for a new CD. I buy the CD because I have a large collection of CDs (and tapes and vinyl, of course).

But I'd sell my entire collection in a heartbeat. I am totally okay with my digital library now.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 am

Eyesore wrote:
I'll be honest, as much as I love owning the physical product, the simple fact that I have such a large collection is the only thing that keeps me buying CDs. I still love the music, of course, but I'd have no issues paying $9.99 for a download instead of $15.99 for a new CD. I buy the CD because I have a large collection of CDs (and tapes and vinyl, of course).

But I'd sell my entire collection in a heartbeat. I am totally okay with my digital library now.

I am getting there with the idea of selling it all. I am going to go slow and just listen to youtube before i start buying digital.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes   AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC/DC catalog now available on iTunes
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next