Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)

Go down 
+16
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
kmorg
mc666
DeathCult
GrandNational
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Andy
Dark Horseman
ShadowAngel
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
jstate
chewie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Also surprised that the Beach Boys had sales in the 20 million mark in the US. I would have thought it would be double that. I believe they have sales of 100 million+ worldwide.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 pm

smurfing Billy Joel is in the top ten? fainting
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 am

So my girlfriend just told me that George Strait has had over 50 number-one singles. That's pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 am

Eyesore wrote:
So my girlfriend just told me that George Strait has had over 50 number-one singles. That's pretty awesome.

The fact that I had never heard of George Strait is a little bit troubling to me Smile I've heard the music of every single one of the artists listed there except for him. That's so weird.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:48 am

DeathCult wrote:
smurfing Billy Joel is in the top ten? fainting
That surprises you? surprised
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 am

GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
The fact that I had never heard of George Strait is a little bit troubling to me Smile I've heard the music of every single one of the artists listed there except for him. That's so weird.
Check this out:

Quote :
50 Number Ones is a compilation album, released in 2004, by American country music singer George Strait. It is a compilation of his first 50 Number One country music singles, starting with 1981's "Fool Hearted Memory" and presented in chronological order. A new track, I Hate Everything, was also included, and became his 51st overall Number One in 2004.
I don't like country music, but damn...that's impressive.

And this...

Quote :
Strait has amassed a total of 59 number-one hits overall, breaking a record previously set by Conway Twitty.
Conway Twitty! That's nuts. I should have been a country musician. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Check this out:

Quote :
50 Number Ones is a compilation album, released in 2004, by American country music singer George Strait. It is a compilation of his first 50 Number One country music singles, starting with 1981's "Fool Hearted Memory" and presented in chronological order. A new track, I Hate Everything, was also included, and became his 51st overall Number One in 2004.
I don't like country music, but damn...that's impressive.

And this...

Quote :
Strait has amassed a total of 59 number-one hits overall, breaking a record previously set by Conway Twitty.
Conway Twitty! That's nuts. I should have been a country musician. Laughing

Yeehaw! If you don’t stop I’ll knock you in the head and tell God you died. You couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket! Y'all come back now ya hear!

lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 am

doesn't country music set different standards for their tallies? meaning their "number 1's" don't have to compete with the Katy Perrys & Justin Biebers of the pop scene? if so, it isn't all that amazing.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:53 am

S.D. wrote:
mc666 wrote:
doesn't country music set different standards for their tallies? meaning their "number 1's" don't have to compete with the Katy Perrys & Justin Biebers of the pop scene? if so, it isn't all that amazing.

It's a completely separate chart.

However, some artists like Garth Brooks crossed over and had hits on both the country charts and the pop/rock charts.
yeah i'm sure Garth, Taylor Swift, & many others, have had amazing pop success. i'd bet George Straight's pop charts would tell a different tale though.

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:54 am

The Billboard Top 100 singles crosses all genres, as does the Top 200 Best Selling albums.

However, there are separate charts for Country Music albums and singles. Some artists will get hits on multiple charts.

People like Conway Twitty were firmly on the country charts.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Eh.... where's KISS?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:19 pm

kmorg wrote:
Eh.... where's KISS?

I think they are only around the 25 - 30 million mark in the US
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Eh.... where's KISS?

Sandwiched right between R.E.M. and Mary J. Blige at 20 million sales. That seems like a low figure for me. Some of these bands/artists should have higher sales based on popularity, but I guess they were/are more popular in other areas other than album sales.

Linkin Park has just about as many US sales as KISS does.

Also MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER. Really? They have nearly double the sales of KISS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm

That Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album sold TONS of copies, we always sold out of it at the CD store I worked at in the 90's.

Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
That Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album sold TONS of copies, we always sold out of it at the CD store I worked at in the 90's.

I just checked, they have 12(!) Christmas albums alone.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am

GrandNational wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I just checked, they have 12(!) Christmas albums alone.

I have their first three albums and its' pretty cool stuff.

****Music Geek Time****
Their first album was actually done under the C.W. McCall(sp) pseudonym. Yep, they did the song "Convoy". ".......This is Rubber Duck....."
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 am

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Eh.... where's KISS?

but they are #1 in customized condoms!!!

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Eh.... where's KISS?

That is insane! I thought they always bragged that they have sold close to 100 million albums or something. 20 million sold is nor even 1 million pr album as an average for them. Sounds fishy.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:42 am

Quote :
I thought they always bragged that they have sold close to 100 million albums or something.

The "100 million" could mean worldwide sales, not just the U.S... Or Gene could just be completely full of shiz. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I thought they always bragged that they have sold close to 100 million albums or something.

The "100 million" could mean worldwide sales, not just the U.S... Or Gene could just be completely full of shiz. Very Happy

I can see that worldwide, since they are popular all over the world.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 pm

According to Wikipedia Kiss have sold 40 million albums in the US, but only 20 Million are certified by the RIAA.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:34 pm

However ya wanna split hairs, KISS has sold a boatload o' stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Gene probably didn't want to pay the auditor's fees for getting certified.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php?content_selector=certification

You have to use a 3rd Party Accounting Firm to verify the sales before the RIAA will certify them as "valid".

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 pm

How could anyone not know who George Strait is? The dude is a huge legend. I am not particularly a fan of country music but those artists sell a ton of music. In fact, country is still, relatively, healthy sales wise. Further, country as a genre pre-dates rock by decades and thus has a long, long history and tradition.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

S.D. wrote:

People like Conway Twitty were firmly on the country charts.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty...

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 224590_1240298791721_full

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next