Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)

Go down 
+16
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
kmorg
mc666
DeathCult
GrandNational
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Andy
Dark Horseman
ShadowAngel
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
jstate
chewie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
How could anyone not know who George Strait is? The dude is a huge legend. I am not particularly a fan of country music but those artists sell a ton of music. In fact, country is still, relatively, healthy sales wise. Further, country as a genre pre-dates rock by decades and thus has a long, long history and tradition.

Haha, I know, it feels strange to not have heard of this guy considering his legenday status. I don't know anything about country music at all. I'm sure I've heard a tune or two by George somewhere, sometime in passing, but never knew the man.

This reminds me of a man on a documentary who was born in New York but had never heard of Elvis until he decided in his 20's he no longer wanted to live the life of a strict Orthodox Jewish Hasid and went out to explore the world.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

People like Conway Twitty were firmly on the country charts.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty...

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 224590_1240298791721_full

OH YEAH!!! Sorry, I grew up on this stuff and I do like older country music. I think the 80s and Alabama(that's the last country band I liked, before I moved on) are the cutoff for me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
Gene probably didn't want to pay the auditor's fees for getting certified.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php?content_selector=certification

You have to use a 3rd Party Accounting Firm to verify the sales before the RIAA will certify them as "valid".

Laughing very hard

we have a winner!!!

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:21 pm

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

People like Conway Twitty were firmly on the country charts.

OH YEAH!!! Sorry, I grew up on this stuff and I do like older country music. I think the 80s and Alabama(that's the last country band I liked, before I moved on) are the cutoff for me.

I enjoy some 90's country, like Garth Brooks and George Strait, but I rarely listen to country though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:09 pm

man, in my part of Texas country is king. Metal bands that come here (even bands like anthrax and megadeth...never selling out) play small halls or clubs and country bands play the coliseum and sell out. I like outlaw country alot..Hank jr., Waylon, willie, haggard, etc..
Some rock music like the eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Bob Seger and most southern rock is cousins with outlaw country.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
smurfing Billy Joel is in the top ten? fainting
That surprises you? surprised

Not surprises, but he is terrible, so it's disappointing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I would love to see a chart of Worldwide sales. It would be interesting to see the change in numbers and artists (for instance, the Beach Boys have sold about 22 million in the US, but over 100+ million worldwide and the Rolling Stones of 66 million in the US versus 200+ million worldwide). Wonder how many artists would exit this list and how many would come up.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

at least the New Kids are not on this list...

Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:33 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I would love to see a chart of Worldwide sales. It would be interesting to see the change in numbers and artists (for instance, the Beach Boys have sold about 22 million in the US, but over 100+ million worldwide and the Rolling Stones of 66 million in the US versus 200+ million worldwide). Wonder how many artists would exit this list and how many would come up.

According to Wikipedia's article on the subject:

(All sales numbers in millions; first is certified sales, second is range of estimated sales.)

1. The Beatles (248.8 ) (600-1000)
2. Elvis Presley (203.3) (600-1000)
3. Michael Jackson (155.9) (350-750)
4. Madonna (157.9) (275-300)
5. Elton John (153) (250-300)
6. Led Zeppelin (133.4) (200-300)
7. Queen (90) (150-300)
8. ABBA (54.4) (200-300)
9. Mariah Carey (118.4) (200)
10. Celine Dion (111.4) (200)
11. Pink Floyd (110.2) (200)
12. AC/DC (99.9) (200)
13. The Rolling Stones (89.5) (200)
14. Bee Gees (63.2) (120-200)
15. Whitney Houston (96.2) (170)
16. U2 (99.6) (150)
17. Billy Joel (97.6) (100-150)
18. Phil Collins (82.4) (100-150)
19. Aerosmith (79.2) (150)
20. Genesis (38.6) (150)
21. Frank Sinatra (35.5) (150)
22. Stevie Wonder (29.5) (150)

(I went to 22 since Sinatra and Wonder were pretty much tied with the previous five.)
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 am

Wow G-kl, the estimated sales are off the charts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 am

What I find cool is that both Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd sold that many records, especially since neither group were a "singles band".

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:42 am

I am amazed Phil Collins solo albums sold more then his work with Genesis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)   Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Selling Artists (U.S. sales figures)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: