Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?

Go down 
+40
brokentulsa
dark avenger
Sword Of The Heretic
DeathCult
jstate
allthingsmetal
kmorg
adrian
Lari
Andy
Troublezone
Lurideath
Metal Misfit
Vexer6
MoonChild
James B.
TheGreatDuck
Leatherface
stepcousin
ProgDoom
DallasBlack
rawr!
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
ultmetal
Spiner202
Nico
MEGATRON
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
stevegarveyfan
firestarter
metalhead777
Stender
Alex Dee Rokket
Tur-Thalion
mc666
tohostudios
exact33
EmoElmo
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Empty
PostSubject: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Ok folks, the word 'Hate' might be a little bit harsh, I'm just curious on what you guys usually don't listen to or just don't really give a rats-azz on that particular genre

Here's mine, Starting From the most Loathed sick

1. Black Metal
2. -CORE Metal
3. Folk / Avant garde
4. Nu-Metal
5. Grunge

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 pm

-CORE Metal
Nu-Metal
Grunge

I would agree with those... -CORE is my least fav of all time..

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Anything with vocals that go "WOOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!" or "EYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

So death metal and black metal are out as are most "core" bands. I'm also generally not into most thrash because I find the vocals to be too shrill.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:03 pm

i like something of everything i guess. my faves are basically everything Toho hates though, so i doubt i'll be getting any thanksgiving invites to his house.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 pm

mc666 wrote:
i like something of everything i guess. my faves are basically everything Toho hates though, so i doubt i'll be getting any thanksgiving invites to his house.

lol! Yeah, we are polar opposites musically speaking.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Anything with vocals that go "WOOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!" or "EYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

So death metal and black metal are out as are most "core" bands. I'm also generally not into most thrash because I find the vocals to be too shrill.

While Nu Wave- Retro Thrash is cool, I don't dig 80 percent of them because most of them play for the sake of being Thrash. So far there are only quite a few out there that captures the essence and nostalgia of old school thrash...Havok tops the list for me
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm

rap metal is right out too for me...

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:10 pm

exact33 wrote:

Now that's one I can dig. Love me some Rage Against The Machine.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:10 pm

exact33 wrote:

I thought Rap Metal is already dead, or is it not?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:11 pm

black metal, I suppose.

power metal, although there are a few songs here and there I like. I like the speed and the guitar playing, but I can't listen to a whole album's worth before getting tired of it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:12 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:

I hope so. It is truly terrible...

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:12 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
exact33 wrote:

It's basically dead but I still enjoy some of the progenitors of that style. RATM, Fat, Dink, Kid Rock, etc.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:29 pm

None, I like all genres because what matters to me is the body of work not so much what sub-genre a band belongs to.

Firstly, sub-genres are often invented by fans and not by the bands. There are some clear cut sub-genres say Death Metal or Thrash Metal, you can clearly distinguish the overall feel of the style but in general sub-categorizations are just made up by fans to justify their own affiliations with certain bands / styles and disavow affiliations with other bands / styles etc.
(the whole true metal vs false metal mentality in a nutshell).

Secondly, I am first and foremost a fan of music. I don't consider myself a metalhead or a fan of any particular genre. I listen to a lot of metal but I also listen to a bit of everything else that sounds good to me. I don't care to be pegholed with any particular genre / band / type of fans.

My approach is to always give any band a fair chance - if they rock my world that's great but if they don't then there's something else to listen to. If I dislike a band it's just because I don't connect with their sound not because they belong to a particular sub-genre.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 pm

1. most nu metal/rap metal
2. folk/avante garde
3. black metal
4. euro power metal
5. sleaze/glam
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:09 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Ok folks, the word 'Hate' might be a little bit harsh, I'm just curious on what you guys usually don't listen to or just don't really give a rats-azz on that particular genre

Here's mine, Starting From the most Loathed sick

1. Black Metal
3. Folk / Avant garde

I DONT LIKE YOUR KIND AROUND THESE PARTS. Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? 19976

Grindcore
Brutal Death Metal
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Euro "Power" Metal aka Flower Metal aka Happy Metal
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

My approach is to always give any band a fair chance - if they rock my world that's great but if they don't then there's something else to listen to. If I dislike a band it's just because I don't connect with their sound not because they belong to a particular sub-genre.

I don't know but there was a time when I tried to dirversify my musical taste by forcing myself to like bands such as Immortal, Whitechapel, 5FingerDeathPunch,Blow job for a Cowboy and even the likes of Nirvana, it just won't kick in, I gave up instantly.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Genres I just won't listen to:

Nu-metal
Rapcore (same as nu-metal maybe?)
Anything -core (except for hardcore like The Crucified, The Lead--basically before there was more than one -core subgenre)
Grunge

Can't stand these styles at all.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 pm

tohostudios wrote:

What he said.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm with the majority of everyone here, in that I don't like:

Nu-Metal
Hardcore
Metalcore
Black Metal

I've seen a lot of people say they don't like grunge; but I like some of the heavier bands like Alice in Chains, Soungarden, and some Pearl Jam.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:06 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I don't know but there was a time when I tried to dirversify my musical taste by forcing myself to like bands such as Immortal, Whitechapel, 5FingerDeathPunch,Blow job for a Cowboy and even the likes of Nirvana, it just won't kick in, I gave up instantly.

Well the keyword in your sentence was "forced" .. that's where it all goes wrong... if you feel like you need to force yourself to listen to music you normally wouldn't then it's hardly ever going to be a genuine and enjoying experience.

I have always liked a bit of everything in music, from classical to rock to metal and the various in-between styles / subgenres. I'm not fond of rap or pop, though I can tolerate the latter from bands of the 70s and 80s not so much 90s and today. One of the earliest bands I started listening to was Queen and I still like listening to them, I then discovered various glam bands in the mid-90s when they were already past their prime, then it was Metallica and Iron Maiden, followed by harder bands like Slayer, Sepultura, and then there was the whole euro-power metal explosion in the late 90s. I've always liked discovering new bands no matter the style because I just enjoy listening to a wide variety of sounds, if it sticks to me, if I can headbang my head to it or just air-drum / air-guitar then it has had a positive effect.

I'm afraid I can't explain it in any more detail than that. Just happens naturally.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Death Metal
Black Metal
Metalcore (or anything "core")
Nu-Metal
Rap Metal
Thrash metal (although I still like Megadeth a bit)
Grunge
Power Metal
Speed Metal
Folk Metal
Glam Metal

etc, etc...
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 pm

MEGATRON wrote:
Death Metal
Black Metal
Metalcore (or anything "core")
Nu-Metal
Rap Metal
Thrash metal (although I still like Megadeth a bit)
Grunge
Power Metal
Speed Metal
Folk Metal
Glam Metal

etc, etc...

So do you still like any metal at all?

I guess the only thing you left out is ye olde heavy metal... or is that off the list too?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Well the keyword in your sentence was "forced" .. that's where it all goes wrong... if you feel like you need to force yourself to listen to music you normally wouldn't then it's hardly ever going to be a genuine and enjoying experience.

I have always liked a bit of everything in music, from classical to rock to metal and the various in-between styles / subgenres. I'm not fond of rap or pop, though I can tolerate the latter from bands of the 70s and 80s not so much 90s and today. One of the earliest bands I started listening to was Queen and I still like listening to them, I then discovered various glam bands in the mid-90s when they were already past their prime, then it was Metallica and Iron Maiden, followed by harder bands like Slayer, Sepultura, and then there was the whole euro-power metal explosion in the late 90s. I've always liked discovering new bands no matter the style because I just enjoy listening to a wide variety of sounds, if it sticks to me, if I can headbang my head to it or just air-drum / air-guitar then it has had a positive effect.

I'm afraid I can't explain it in any more detail than that. Just happens naturally.

Well, you're not alone...Even now I listen to artists such as Anne Murray, Matt Monro, C + C Music factory, Old School ICE-T and even the Bangles, those songs that were consistently played during my childhood was apparently inherited and acquired for some unknown reasons, quickly evolved during my pre-pubescent years as I was Immediately exposed to Exodus' Bonded By Blood. Then the rest was history Laughing

But there must be a (sub)Genre that you hate... you can't embrace 'em all just kidding

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:25 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Well, you're not alone...Even now I listen to artists such as Anne Murray, Matt Monro, C + C Music factory, Old School ICE-T and even the Bangles, those songs that were consistently played during my childhood was apparently inherited and acquired for some unknown reasons, quickly evolved during my pre-pubescent years as I was Immediately exposed to Exodus' Bonded By Blood. Then the rest was history Laughing

But there must be a (sub)Genre that you hate... you can't embrace 'em all just kidding

Well sure, I mean smurf poo like today's pop .. and most rap / hip-hop (save outside Run DMC and Beastie Boys) I can't stand any of that sh!t. I don't like emo either or this sort of modern rock concoction.

I guess what I was referring to was mostly the big pool of rock/hard rock/metal. I like checking out all sorts of bands from those genres, some are really good some are just crap. I noticed a lot of people mentioned Black and Death Metal, I love bands from those genres a lot but I also like bands from the glam, classic rock sub-genres. That's what I meant by being more band focused than focused on a sub-genre.

The other problem I have with focusing on a sub-genre, and is that things can get pretty stale and boring after a while. I contend that every sub-genre has maybe ... maybe 20 - 30 bands that are creative, pioneering, unique and so on ... and from then on it's a slipper slope or more like a downward spiral and attributes I mentioned start to just gradually drop to the point where you end up with just 2nd rate clones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?   Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genres/Sub-Genres of Metal that you Hate?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next