Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on various genres

Go down 
+14
SAHB Healer
manny
James B.
the sentinel
XYZ
Required Fields
stepcousin
Svengo
Shiney
Schbopo
mc666
325ad
tohostudios
bgast1
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Opinions on various genres Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 12:58 pm

In reading these posts I see a lot of --I don't like hair metal--. Well neither does Metal Archives. In fact they refuse to list hair metal bands. Stryper isn't even listed because they aren't metal. To that I say bullcrap.

Then I hear I don't like Power Metal. Why? I love Power Metal, but can do without a lot Power Metal bands that just copy the greats and don't really do anything original.

I'm not the hugest fan of death or black metal, but that is because I prefer to understand the words, unless I've taken the time to read the lyrics, I usually can't discern what they are saying. Granted the lyrics don't mean anything to me but I would at least like to hear words that I can understand. Also, growling for growling's sake doesn't do a lot for me. Now there are some bands that I like to include growling and it fits perfectly. Is getting into this genre a matter of aquired taste?

Having said that, I actually listen to all genres and there are some bands of all genres that I like.

So in the long run, I am curious as to other peoples reasons for hatin on a particular genre.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm with you on the death and black metal; growling and screams don't do it for me. I really hate when a song starts with a nice heavy riff then Cookie Monster opens his yap. I can only handle growls and screams in limited doses.

That said, I wouldn't say I really hate the genre; it's just not my cup of tea. If other people like it, more power to 'em.

There are really only two genres I'd say I hate, gansta rap and traditional Country Western. The former because I see absolutely zero talent involved, no one's playing instruments, no one's really singing, etc. The latter because I just can't stand that twangy steel guitar sound with drawled vocals.

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:28 pm

I like all genres of music except Hip Hop, cRap, and pop. But my favorite styles of Metal are Black, Doom, Folk, Progressive, Thrash and Traditional Heavy Metal. Yeah, I grew up in the hair days so hair metal is cool, but looking back on it is was sort of cheesey and grunge at the time was cooler!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:32 pm

bgast1 wrote:
In reading these posts I see a lot of -- I don't like hair metal. -- Well neither does Metal Archives. In fact they refuse to list hair metal bands. Stryper isn't even listed because they aren't metal. To that I say bullcrap.
Stryper is listed at MA...
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=81757

i love all metal, although i must admit i do prefer the more extreme styles of death, grindcore, & black metal. there are bands in almost every style i like, including power metal & metalcore.

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 3:36 pm

I like all genres...but some certainly more than others. I'm not that into death/black/grindcore stuff, and there are only small portions of rap and country I like.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Shiney prefers sleaze/glam and hairmetal but alos dips his toes in the pools of power metal and older thrash....oh yeah!!

Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:56 pm

There's not really any genres that I completely dislike. There seem to be at least one or two bands out there in every style that have a unique take on a particular genre that I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 pm

I love music, not just metal. When I was in my late teens and 20's, it was all about thrash and death metal. Now I realize that I limited myself and that there is so much great music in this world to enjoy. That's what it's all about.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 pm

mc666 wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
In reading these posts I see a lot of -- I don't like hair metal. -- Well neither does Metal Archives. In fact they refuse to list hair metal bands. Stryper isn't even listed because they aren't metal. To that I say bullcrap.

i love all metal, although i must admit i do prefer the more extreme styles of death, grindcore, & black metal. there are bands in almost every style i like, including power metal & metalcore.

You beat me to it.

It's easy to find if a band is/isn't on there, all you need to do is use the search box.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 pm

mc666 wrote:
bgast1 wrote:

Wow, amazing, I just remember for the longest time they refused to list them. Maybe some of the management over there has changed their tune or caved to popular demand. lol!
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 pm

What exactly is grindcore, and an example of good grindcore?

I have some black metal in my collection, but it's mostly Christian, but I would never know from the lyrics, I have Arvinger--Helgards Fall and Dark Endless, and Antestor. But I couldn't even begin to tell you if it is quality black metal, because I know literally nothing about the genre, because most of it is blatanly satanic.

I think the only death metal I have in my collection is Metanoia, and Obituary.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Black/Death Metal - I'll listen to some of these bands, but I'm not a huge fan of Cookie Monster vocals (I do like Cookie Monster, though).

Glam/Hair Metal - Not that big of a fan of this genre. It's really hit-or-miss for me.

Classic Metal - Priest, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath and Queen are all favorites of mine.

Industrial Metal - I do like quite a few bands (NIN, White Zombie, Fear Factory)

Metalcore - Only like a few bands (As I Lay Dying, Killswitch, Demon Hunter)

Nu Metal - I'll listen to Slipknot (not Nu Metal, but nobody will ever listen to me), Sevendust, Disturbed, Korn (only a few songs), and SOAD.

Power Metal - European power metal is OK. I like old American power metal (Metal Church, Iced Earth)

Prog Metal - Love Dream Theater and Symphony X.

Thrash - My favorite metal genre as a whole. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, and Sepultura all rock.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:50 pm

A side note please, if you will, I see several people here with last.fm 'My recently played tracks'

Will someone PM me about how to accomplish that. I'm a bit embarassed to ask this, but I am only a computer geek on some things, and others I'm totally ignorant of. In fact I have no clue what Twitter is.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm

check pm

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:20 pm

I don't actually hate any particular genre of music. I just haven't got to it yet. Very Happy I grew up listening to mostly Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and since joining up here 2 years ago, I have gotten into more new bands than ever before. Right now, I am currently immersed in European Power Metal and am building my collections of Gamma Ray and Edguy and others. My deal is to try out a few bands from a particular genre and see if I like them and if I do, then I plunge into that genre and collect what I like. I have a varied collection of discs now (about 1500+) thanks to both NLTM and Metal Metropolis and other sites like HeavyHarmonies.com and Sleazeroxx.com (and even sometimes Wikipedia). It's nice to be able to read a review and glean some info on a particular band before purchasing.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:39 pm

I have an issue with labeling. For this old fart, there is stuff I like and stuff I don't like. A while back I was giving Cannibal Corpse a hard time. I went and checked out a wide variety of thier cataolog. I dug the music pretty much all the way through what I heard. In places the vocal delivery hit on all cylinders and put a hell of a vibe on the ears. I can't do much of that style, yet I made an effort to scope out something I had a long time aversion for.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 pm

There is not a genre in hard rock/heavy metal that I dislike, I like some genres better than others but I can find a few bands in just about all genres that I like.

What I find the most interesting about metal/hard rock is that fans ( myself included) are so immersed in its history and have a deep respect for the roots of the genre no matter if you are death metal fan or classic rock fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 pm

I go through phases of what style is grabbing me at the moment but always come back to power metal and thrash.

As for grindcore: i'd say it's a combination of death and thrash with a lot of blastbeats and grinding guitars. Vocals often have the pig squeal sound and the songs are usually short. I think Napalm Death gets credit for inventing it.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I go through phases of what style is grabbing me at the moment but always come back to power metal and thrash.

As for grindcore: i'd say it's a combination of death and thrash with a lot of blastbeats and grinding guitars. Vocals often have the pig squeal sound and the songs are usually short. I think Napalm Death gets credit for inventing it.

And here all along I thought that Napalm Death was death metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

They are. Grind is just an extreme form of death. It's a funny genre, i've seen Bolt Throwe called grind but I don't consider them such.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 11:23 pm

I don't think it always boils down to a like/dislike issue. For example during the 1980's I was much more interested in sports like Baseball and Boxing than I was in music. So I don't really have the experience or nostalgia for classic Thrash or Hair Metal that a lot of people here do. It's certainly not that I dislike 80's Metal, it's just that don't have much to say about that era because I wasn't paying attention nearly to the degree that I was in say the 70's or the 90's. The only Metal that I followed closely during the 80's was the Melodic Northern European stuff.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:29 am

bgast1 wrote:
What exactly is grindcore, and an example of good grindcore?

grindcore is a mix of early death metal & punk rock. lyrics vary from politics, life, humor, gore, & sex, depending on the band. Napalm Death started as a grindcore band (the first one as a matter of fact), then morphed into a death metal band. check out their first 2 albums for some great grind. Impetigo were one of the first to include alot of the gore themes.

as for some awesome grindcore, check out Pig Destroyer, F*ck The Facts, Insect Warfare, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Brutal Truth, Nasum, Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation, A.C., Ivebeenshot, Leng Tch'e, & Preschool Tea Party Massacre.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:10 am

I like Classic/Traditional, Doom, Thrash, Death and some Glam but i do not like Black metal.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:03 am

I like alot of different types of Metal.My favorites would be Thrash(of course) Sleaze and Power Metal.I can listen to Death and Black metal but usually only small amounts.I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music.I can find something to like in every genre
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:17 am

I'm not a fan of most metalcore and black metal. It just doesn't hold my attention, usually lacks much hooks and the vocalists all tend to sound pretty much the same. Just my opinion and taste in music.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on various genres   Opinions on various genres Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on various genres
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next