Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad

Go down 
+30
QuothTheRaven
James B.
Andy
Smindas
EvyMetal
bassman
jstate
DeathCult
Leatherface
Eyesore
Witchfinder
adrian
exact33
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
nevermore
kmorg
chewie
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
arachnoplasma
A Handful of Wayne
Mglaffas81
Troublezone
Wurthless
mc666
Required Fields
GrandNational
manny
DallasBlack
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 pm

It's been a rough year for you DB... I hope everything turns around and your dad gets better.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Here's hoping for a quick and speedy recovery for your dad and strength for your family at this time.

And you need to demand THEY find who hit him. No reason to put added stress on you guys by just acting like they can't be found.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Praying for your Dad and your whole family, DB.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks for the prayers guys! We talked to the police and the problem is that particular truck stop is super busy, now well lit, and no cameras in the truck parking area. Also more than likely the trucker probably had no idea he ran over anybody (although it is still a crime). Also it is in a VERY small town so they don't exactly have a crack foresnic team. We will talk with a lawyer this weekend to see what kind of actions can be taken (my sister thinks the truck stop should carry some of the blame because it is a pretty unsafe area). High chance they will never find the guy unfortunatly.

We're also feeling better about him being awake now and then because it's good to see his mind is still working well. Plus he is so heavily sedated he won't remember any of it. The hardest part was being there when he was awake. He was very aggitated and fidgety and you could tell he was scarred. My dad has always been stout and easy going. The only time I ever saw him even tear up was when our dog had to be put to sleep so seeing him like this is hard and quite surreal. We hope he will take the news of his amputated leg well but you never know about these things. He of course will not be informed until they take him off the respirator (and we're looking at a week or more).

He's going into surgery today to finish up the amputation and possibly some of the other surgeries. One will be to repair his broken femir (silly me, I put fibula but that's the arm :geek: -also I said it was both, but it's only the left one) and the other is to put pins in the pelvis to expidite the healing. They may only do the amputation (which may add to further amputation depending on the condition of the site) today, there's no really telling when the other surgeries can be done. Once everything has been taken care of and there are no complications then wer're looking at at least 3 months of rehabillitation (sic?).

My sister and I are comming back home on Sunday and either we or she will go back when they have an idea of when he will be taken off the respirator and can finally be given the news about his leg (someone really needs to be there for him at that time). I will (at the behest of my sister and my uncle-my dad's youngest brother) continue to try and find a job so if I get one I won't be able to go next time. I won't be going the trucker route because I will need to be home to keep the house in order and help my dad whenever he is finally allowed to go home. However, I would have gladly spend the rest of my life as an OTR trucker to avoid this tragedy. The important thing is that he's becoming more stable and hopeully will be able to recover from all this. My dad has always been tough and able to adapt so I'm sure he will be alright once the news is processed by his brain. I just leave it into God's hands. I am truly blessed to have such a great family to help me get through this. Again everyone, thanks for your prayers and well wishes.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm

My dad was in a major car accident some years ago. We were told 2 times to come and say goodbuy to him, but he survived. I know what you are going through, bro! Hang in there.

I also want to tell you that your father might change a bit after this. My dad became very different after the accident, and 6 weeks in a coma. Like your father, my dad was a stout and independent man. Suddenly he found himself in need of help, and became very grumpy, needy and hard to be around. Luckily he snapped out of it quickly as the recovery process ran along.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

kmorg wrote:
My dad was in a major car accident some years ago. We were told 2 times to come and say goodbuy to him, but he survived. I know what you are going through, bro! Hang in there.

I also want to tell you that your father might change a bit after this. My dad became very different after the accident, and 6 weeks in a coma. Like your father, my dad was a stout and independent man. Suddenly he found himself in need of help, and became very grumpy, needy and hard to be around. Luckily he snapped out of it quickly as the recovery process ran along.

I understand. It will be difficult for him and take a while to adjust. Don't need to worry about him being grumpy though because he was already that way before (accept around his grandchildren Smile ). It will help having people around him that care for him though he tends not to like too much attention (but he's going to get it anyways Smile ).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm

If anyone could have seen the company name of the truck... there could be a investigation within that company to see what drivers may have been in that area at that time to possibly narrow down some suspects.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Troublezone wrote:
If anyone could have seen the company name of the truck... there could be a investigation within that company to see what drivers may have been in that area at that time to possibly narrow down some suspects.

Unfortunatly, there was only two witnesses and both have a different story.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 pm

They got the amputated leg cleaned up but his breathing was too off to do anymore. Today they are letting him rest and Saturday they will try to do the rest. It all depends on how well my dad does. He has a slight fever (101) and they want him to be at 100 or lower for the surgery. He is responding pretty well and they have lowered the sedative level and are starting to wean him off the oxygen. That last part is what will determine when he will be able to be revived (after the surgeries of course) and being 65, my dad has some risks involved. It could be another week or so before he's ready to be brought back. Of course we want someone to be there so they will inform us when he's ready for the oxygen to be removed or a tracheotomy (sic?) to be performed. Luckily, my sister has a very supportive job that allows her to miss some work. Depends on where I end up getting a job in when I will be able to accompany her.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm

My sister and I got back home Monday morning at 5. I am finally at home where my cat gave me the whatfor (still is from time to time). I also have done a drug test and should be called up in the next few days for a temp-to-hire job. Unfortunatly, with getting a job I can't go back to Alabama to visit my dad. Makes me feel guilty but the best I can do for my dad right now is to get a job and take care of the house for him. Also when he's ready to come home in three months or so, he'll need my help around the house.

He finally had the surgury on Sunday to fix his broken leg and pelvis. Today he was supposed to go into surgury again so they can clean up the amputation site. My sister will be going back toward the end of the week but I won't be able to come with if I have a job, but she will keep me informed.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Hope all is well and getting well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Hope all is well and getting well.

I have a feeling he'll pull through but the toughest part is how he'll take the news of the amputation. Even if he does take it well, the recovery process will be painful and once he comes home he will be very difficult. Mostly because my dad loved being a truck driver and hates being home for too long with nothing to do. He pretty much was never going to retire under his own will so having forced retirement will not go well with him. However, my sister will bring her kids over from time to time and they have a way of taming him.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Well my dad has had a tracheotomy and is now breathing a bit on his own. They are still keeping him heavily sedated and he will have another surgery on his stump (and maybe at least one more). My sister is flying down there tomorrow and I'm continuing to look for a job and trying to get my lazy but to work on the house.

We (my sister and I) had to use my dad's credit cart to get a new water heater yesterday as our current one is leaking quite a bit. The water heater (we're getting it from Lowes) itself is only $350 but with installation and some city code bullsh*t it all comes to about $870. Highway robbery but better than the plumber's quote of $2000 (screw automotive, I should have gone to plumbing school). I actually saved about $90 by assymbling the water heater stand myself (one of the stupid city codes, water heaters aren't allowed to sit on the ground) which is only a few nuts and bolts (no way in hell I'm giving them $90 of my dad's money just to do something so simple).
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Sounds like a very difficult situation, DB. I hope your dad recovers swiftly.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Thought I'd give an update: They ended up doing a tracheotomy and ended up weening him off the ventilator and he is now out of ICU. My sister even was able to talk to him finally for a little while (she didn't say so, but I'm guessing he is finally aware of what's happened to him). She says he is in pretty good spirits (though the morphine might be helping with that) and was acually more concerned about his phone than anything else. Next time she goes there, she will bring him his phone and computer.

He has a long road to recovery ahead of him and I'm sure his attitude might change as it has time to soak into his brain. But the important thing is he's alive and will recover. I'll be glad when he recovers more from the tracheotomy and I'm finally able to talk to him. I'm also hoping to visit him Thanksgiving (hopefully I can get time off or my temp assignment is over).
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 am

I don't believe in religion so I can't really pray for him. But I hope that Steve Harris shows up at your door with a signed bass.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 am

Andy wrote:
I don't believe in religion so I can't really pray for him. But I hope that Steve Harris shows up at your door with a signed bass.

You mean you don't believe in God. I don't believe in religion either. Wink Thanks for the sentiment though.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 am

First ad foremost, your dad needs to recover. The person that ran him down "knows" they ran somebody over, or at least something. Just because an 18 wheeler is big, doesn't mean you can run something of substance over and not realize it. You can "feel" a rock smaller than a baseball when your wheels go over it. I hope the best for you and your family.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:33 pm

My dad was flown into Ft. Worth two days ago and has settled into a long care facility. My sister says he recognizes everyone but is a bit confused. For some reason he thinks his leg was shot off in the Philippines. My sister ended up telling him that he was not, that he was in an accident at a truck stop. After being informed of this he recalled being hit. He says that he was hit by the front of the truck and dragged accross the lot. He said he couldn't understand why the guy wouldn't stop as he was yelling for help. My sister told him that someone did hear him and he has survived. My dad then said that he has to get back to work and how the hell do they expect him to walk on this stump? She says he constantly wants to look at it and touch it. She doesn't know if he will remember anything from day to day.

So the drugs seem to keep him a little confused but he is awake now and is on the way to recovery. I will be visiting him Saturday.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm

This whole mess just saddens me, DB Sad

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 pm

kmorg wrote:
This whole mess just saddens me, DB Sad
\

I know, before it was somewhat comforting thinking the truck driver didn't realize what happened but after my dad's recollection the whole incident is appearing more malicious.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Geez, DB. I just took the time to read through this thread. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Glad to hear that things seem to be headed in the right direction for your dad.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:02 pm

I saw my dad today and he was very happy to see me. He was also in pretty good spirits, but he is so weak that it was heartbreaking. He is practically a skeleton right now and gets tired very easily. He's still a bit confused as he thought I was still in school. I told him about graduating automotive school two years ago and I think it came back to him. He found out about my job and was very happy about that too and it didn't bother him that it was temporary because he said it will at least give me somthing to put on my resume. I told him I was looking after his truck and the house and he wasn't bothered when I told him it was a mess (obviously he has more things on his mind), he told me to just do what I can. Despite being troubled by his appearance it was good to see him happy and fairly optimistic despite the circumstances. I also gave him his phone which also made him happy. I'ts going to be a long hard road for him but it's nice to see him taking it all in stride. I will visit him tomorrow before I head back home and visit him on Thanksgiving and after that week, every Saturday. I'll be spending quite a bit more on gas, but at least he's still not in Alabama.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:04 am

Glad to hear your dad is in good spirits as he starts his recovery. Even better he has family to be there for him.

Have the police made any progress in finding the driver? Is your dad able to provide any clues? I just think it is beyond wrong someone did this, didn't stop, and is not going to be held to account for what they did.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 pm

jstate wrote:
Glad to hear your dad is in good spirits as he starts his recovery. Even better he has family to be there for him.

Have the police made any progress in finding the driver? Is your dad able to provide any clues? I just think it is beyond wrong someone did this, didn't stop, and is not going to be held to account for what they did.

They pretty much gave up after the first few days. Only two witnesses and two different stories, no cameras in that area of the parking lot, small town, nobody comming forward, etc. My dad can only say what type of 18 wheeler it was and that the driver had to have known.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad   Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts & Prayers For My Dad
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next