Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?

Go down 
+26
Wargod
metalhead777
martinsane
Troublezone
Mglaffas81
Ben Grimm
Smindas
Eyesore
labrekk
manny
exact33
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
stormspell
bassman
ZetaReticuli
shamgar75
mc666
Metal Misfit
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
...and he wasn't even making much $$ in JP. When they weren't touring, he had next to nothing coming in.

True. And people wonder why Ripper doesn't stick with BEYOND FEAR ... think about the pennies they have rolling in when they are not on the road.

Ripper does what he has to and I don't fault him for that. I just think he turns in lackluster performances these days. He is capable of so much more and we have heard it at times.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am

Ripper Owens is the Graham Bonnett of this generation, Bonnett ( I am a fan of his) would get gigs with major artist and usually would be with them long enough to do one tour and album, both great vocalist and both have to work for living since they are not independantly wealthy.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I thought Ripper was great on Jugulator, but he went down hill after that... and i don't think his voice is suited for DIO's music.

Cathedral Spires is the best song he's ever made.

Agreed.
He was also great in Winters Bane IMO.
I can understand what you guys say about having to make money, but if that was the main reason for jumping around like him, why don`t all band members around do that?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Because some don't get let go from the successful bands they're in. Look how many bands guys like Roy Z works with and the revolving door Whitesnake had. It's actually pretty common.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 pm

manny wrote:
Ripper Owens is the Graham Bonnett of this generation, Bonnett ( I am a fan of his) would get gigs with major artist and usually would be with them long enough to do one tour and album, both great vocalist and both have to work for living since they are not independantly wealthy.

That is a great comparison. I thought Lance King was going to get that crown for awhile there though.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm

exact33 wrote:
manny wrote:

That is a great comparison. I thought Lance King was going to get that crown for awhile there though.

True. A fair comparision. But that will never stop me from making Tim the butt of my jokes. NEVER!!

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Surprised no one mentioned the "Tim The Ripper Owen" solo album "Play My Game" that came out on SPV in 2009.

Some pretty good songs with a butt load of guest musicians on it: Steve Stevens, Doug Aldritch, Chris Caffery, Rudy Sarzo, Michael Wilton, Simon Wright, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Loomis, Craig Goldy, Bruce Kulick and Neil Zaza...

Seems with that laundry list of musicians he is fairly well connected.

BTW: I thought Jugulator was a brilliant album!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:06 am

Tim doesn't jump around...he keeps getting laid off...there is a difference. He has to take temp work to pay the bills because he's not in a major league band like Priest any longer.

And I just noticed that members of the most recent Dio band played on his solo album...Sarzo, Wright & Goldy...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 am

Why do fans get so upset with lineup changes anyway? It's just a fact of life.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 am

Listening to BEYOND FEAR's scream machine right now.

What a dude! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:06 am

Tim's got a great voice and, although he's a bit of a dubious frontman sometimes, I'd love to see him "settle down" in a permanent band. It's a bit of a crime he gets passed from one musician to the other as he's damn talented. Having said that, I'm glad he's not in Iced Earth any more.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 11:54 am

Smindas wrote:
Tim's got a great voice and, although he's a bit of a dubious frontman sometimes, I'd love to see him "settle down" in a permanent band. It's a bit of a crime he gets passed from one musician to the other as he's damn talented. Having said that, I'm glad he's not in Iced Earth any more.

I really enjoyed him on The Glorious Burden but after that it went downhill. I think it might have been more the music than the vox though - because even Barlow couldnt make the last one good for me.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm

I know ripper is a great vocalist but....I don't know about this...
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Ripper and Lance King are journeyman singers.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I heard Winter's Bane awhile before he joined Judas Priest. It is a good album.

Wow! Two of the most hard to please metallers on this board, Lurideath and ToB like that album. Must be really good.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
The Purple Scorpion
Metal novice
Metal novice
The Purple Scorpion

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 pm

He's got loads of talent, he just needs to find a project and stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

The Purple Scorpion wrote:
He's got loads of talent, he just needs to find a project and stick with it.

Again, it's not him...he keeps getting let go from bands. Priest let him go for Halford, IE let him go for Barlow, Yngwie let him go because Yngwie lets everybody go. It's not like he makes an album and says "screw you guys" and walks out. At this point, he's doing what he has to do to maintain a career...cut him some slack.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Wait ... Yngwie let him go?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yngwie put an album out with Ripper on it that Ripper didn't even know about (songs were from the Perpetual Flame sessions) and I don't think he's toured with him since that last tour cycle...doesn't exactly sound like he's in the know...

lol!

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

If Yngwie throws some cash his way he'll be back.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
If Yngwie throws some cash his way he'll be back.

Same could be said for any metal vocalist. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Quote :
Dear Friends,

I wanted to let you know that Rudy, Simon, Craig and Scott will be playing some shows in Europe together with Ripper Owens and Toby Jepson as DIO Disciples.

There will never be another Ronnie, but we want to keep his music alive and hope you will support the band and become one of the DIO Disciples.

We will post the UK/European tour dates as they are confirmed, and we are
planning some US dates also.

Hope to see you at one of the shows.

With love, Wendy
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yngwie put an album out with Ripper on it that Ripper didn't even know about (songs were from the Perpetual Flame sessions) and I don't think he's toured with him since that last tour cycle...doesn't exactly sound like he's in the know...

lol!
Ripper performed with Yngwie at NAMM this year, so I don't think he's been let go
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 pm

How can anyone be the new singer for Dio anyway?!! tsts...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Why do fans get so upset with lineup changes anyway? It's just a fact of life.

I am not sure if upset is the right word, but I do prefer certain line ups, in some cases it maybe because I grew up with them, but I still follow a band when a major member departs, whether it is Van Halen, Genesis, Black Sabbath and even the Doors without Jim Morrison, at the end of the day it is about the music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next