Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stray the band

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Anyone familiar with these guys?

The current issue of Classic Rock magazine had an article about them. Another one of those "great band you've never heard of" type story. They've been around since the late 60's, but according to this article, they started to hit their stride in the 70's along side of bands like Priest and UFO and opening for just about every big 70's act that came though Europe. However, bad management, bad distribution, and just plain bad luck kept these guys from being "the next big thing".

Steve Harris is apparently a big fan and Maiden covered their song "All In Your Mind". They're still around in 2011, playing gigs here and there with one or 2 original members. Their discography of about 9 albums was remastered and released on cd a few years ago. I was checking out some clips from their 2-disc anthology and they sound pretty decent. Early material sounds a little progressive/psychedelic then moves into a more 70's hard rock style. I think a UFO comparrision is a fair assessment. Very guitar oriented.

Don't know if I'll make any purchases just yet, but they sound fairly promising so far. Just thought I'd give these guys a shout out here and see if there are any fans or perhaps turn someone on to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_(band)

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Nearly 8 minutes long, 6 of those minutes is just good old fashioned gee-tar jams.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 pm

I checked them out because Classic Rock Magazine on one of their free CD's had a track by them and talked them up, sounds interesting and I may have to check them out further.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:57 am

No other takers besides Manny, huh? I thought some of the older farts like SAHB Healer or Detuned might chime in on these guys. Ahhh, bollocks to the lot of you!!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 am

I just started reading the Classic Rock article on Stray, and unit the free CD from awhile a go and this article, I never heard of them, but the article is an interesting look at what happens when you have crappy management
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 am

sorry I missed this post. Yeah Stray was a nice band. For starters I would recommend either of the two disc retrospectives that are out there, both excellent, with not much overlap. For some reason I seem to remember that they were hugely popular in Texas, but unknown otherwise stateside.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
sorry I missed this post. Yeah Stray was a nice band. For starters I would recommend either of the two disc retrospectives that are out there, both excellent, with not much overlap. For some reason I seem to remember that they were hugely popular in Texas, but unknown otherwise stateside.

There is a 2-disc anthology for under $10 bucks that I'm eyeing up. If I do well on my ebay sales I might pick that up to get a taste. Speaking of which...***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

http://shop.ebay.com/cripple71/m.html

Still got some time folks. Lots with no bids yet.

Stray the band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stray the band   Stray the band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stray the band
Page 1 of 1