Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!

Go down 
+37
Gilbert
TheDoctor'sScarf
Joe
GrandNational
Required Fields
kmorg
Ben Grimm
Getizzyback
nevermore
JBall_Z
adrian
QuothTheRaven
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
metalken
DeathCult
bassman
stepcousin
Lurideath
Zdan
325ad
James B.
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Sinistar
MoonChild
chewie
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
Troublezone
ultmetal
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AC/DC - Back in Black
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Accept - I''m a Rebel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Angel Witch - s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 28% [ 15 ]
Def Leppard - On Through the Night
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Iron Maiden -s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 5 ]
Judas Priest - British Steel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 4 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Saxon - Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 6 ]
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Van Halen - Women and Children First
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm

I voted for Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I voted for Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell.

Me too. It also was released on the day I was born.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:46 pm

10 years ago I would have voted for BACK IN BLACK. Now, I can't even listen to that album. My vote went to the Ozzman.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Tygers of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
Accept - I'm a Rebel
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Saxon - Wheels and Strong Arm
Krokus - Metal Rende-vous

Voted for Maiden, because it's one of those albums that floored me when I first heard it, and it still holds up flawlessly today.

Many of those other ones are great, but have become a bit overkill from too much radio/exposure.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 am

AC/DC's back in black: the riffs and the attitude headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am

Sinistar wrote:
To my liking:

1) Saxon Strong Arm of the Law (my vote)

2) Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell
3) Iron Maiden s/t
Tygers of Pan Tang Wild Cat
4) Motorhead Ace of Spades
5) Angel Witch s/t
Diamond Head Lightening to the Nations
Saxon Wheels of Steel

whoops forgot about

Girlschool - Demolition

I'll put that with the rest of the number 3s. Another great record.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 am

Rainbow-Diffcult to Cure, it would not have changed my vote but an important album IMo as far as the roots of melodic metal goes.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 am

At the ripe age of nine, I still wasn't listening to Heavy Metal at this point, so had you asked me in 1986 what my favorites from 1980 would have been, the list would have looked something like this:

1. AC/DC - Back In Black
2. Judas Priest - British Steel
3. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Frankly, the thought of putting "Back In Black" in the vehicle's C.D player, makes me want to vomit. In fact, I would hope the car's C.D player would be smart enough to spit it right back out, sighting the fact that there are three songs that are so overplayed on that album, that the C.D player in its infinite wisdom can't possibly consider playing this album. I think we all know the songs.

Regarding British Steel, I still really love that album, but like those three AC/DC songs, I really could care less if I ever heard "Breaking the Law" again". This song would be part of the Judas Priest various radio stations across America trivia question: What Judas Priest song will be played on the airwaves IF "You've Got Another Thing Coming" isn't chosen?

Yes, these three albums all have one thing in common, they have those trendy radio songs that "I" simply can't get away from. When I hear the D.J come on, and he says I have some Ozzy coming up, my immediate thought is, "Have some balls, and don't play Crazy Train". Unfortunately, 95% of the time it's "Crazy Train". Is this the artists fault that they all have anthems? No, but it is the D.J's fault for not having any foresight into playing anything but those anthems, hence "I" blame the artist for the D.J's lack of taste.

That brings me to the now:

1. Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden (It took me forever to recognize the Di'Anno era, and that's a shame. Most everyone I hung with inside the metal community [which were/are low in number] felt that Iron Maiden wasn't relevant until Dickinson came into the fold. All these years later, I say B.S to that, as this probably ranks as my all time favorite Iron Maiden album)

2. Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell (I really feel like I had to go with Maiden, because I've always felt like they were the under dog with Di'Anno in the band, otherwise, this album would've been the wise choice. Great songs, great musicians, and maybe the greatest metal vocalist of all time. R.I.P. Ronnie...)

3. Judas Priest: British Steel (One song can't derail my love for this album, as the rest of it is just greatness. My sentimental favorite on this album is most likely "You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise".)

4. Motorhead: Ace of Spades ( I will always consider this band an acquired taste, like beer, certain foods [as your taste buds evolve from childhood to adult status], red wines, Bob Dylan, Stevie Nicks, but not Janis Joplin. I just couldn't get into Lemmy's voice from the get go, but like many things in life, you suddenly start to get it. I didn't get it until around 1995, when I got the bootleg Metallica "Hey, Hey we're the Lemmy's" [Metallica playing Motorhead tunes for Lemmy's 50th birthday]. I was like wow, these tunes are great. I focused just on the guitars, and then slowly matriculated into Lemmy's voice. What I disliked strongly at one time, I suddenly loved. Though I don't have Motorhead's complete catalog, I have "Overkill through Iron Fist". I plan to go in order, as I enjoy the evolution of the bands, and their catalog.

5. Def Leppard: On Through the Night (I know the band refuses to believe they were ever a part of the metal scene or played metal music, but this album is a part of the blue print for the NWOBHM scene. I would love to think that they will give us a re-mix/re-master of this album one day, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I think, like Megadeth's KIMB, this album has the potential to sound so much better with the proper handling. Here's hoping for this to happen...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Of the eight I'm familiar with, I went with Black Sabbath. But it was a tough decision between that, Ace Of Spades, and British Steel.

I'd rank mine as:

Black Sabbath-Heaven & Hell
Motorhead-Ace Of Spades
Judas Priest-British Steel
Iron Maiden-s/t
Def Leppard-On Through the Night
Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Ozz
Saxon-Wheels of Steel
Van Halen-Women and Children First

I need many of the others.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 pm

I am almost did not vote for 'Back In Black' for the same reasons that metalinmyveins posted, but in this poll I put myself in that time frame and I realize what an incredible accomplishment AC/DC managed with the release of 'Back In Black'

Putting aside my fanboy status of the Bon Scott era of AC/DC's career, the band not only replaced an great vocalist but also a fan favorite and man who was big part of their sound and image, and got a man who, image wise was nothing like Bon Scott. Brian Johnson was to most of the world an unknown and he stepped into the spotlight for something that could not have been a 100% comfortable, their bandmates had just buried a very close friend.

Not only did the album exceeded all expections in terms of quality of songs but surpassed even their wildest success, and IMO Brian Johnson is the only man who could have taken Bon Scott's place in AC/DC.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 pm

How many bands have songs that people who don't even like rock know? AC/DC transcends genres.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 pm

I went with British Steel. I love this album a lot and it has some of the best material Priest has done on it.

It was a great year though looking back...

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Two other amazing comebacks in 1980,

First Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell-After a final tour with Ozzy where opening act Van Halen was blowing them off the stage and two albums in a row that failed to match the success of previous albums, Iommi makes the decision to fire Ozzy Osbourne, and hire Ronnie James Dio, a matching I am sure lots of fans and critics where predicting to destined to fail, after all he can replace the unreplaceable Ozzy Osbourne? Instead the band makes IMO the best album of their career.

Speaking of Ozzy, who would have thought that a drugged out, a man who was not the creative force in Black Sabbath to make a successful album and have a solo career that is now its 31st year, granted most of the success to this album is owed to Randy Rhoads, producer Max Norman and his new manager Sharon Ardeen (mis) but still an amazing success story.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

manny wrote:
I am almost did not vote for 'Back In Black' for the same reasons that metalinmyveins posted, but in this poll I put myself in that time frame and I realize what an incredible accomplishment AC/DC managed with the release of 'Back In Black'

I feel kind of guilty for abandoning one of the Top 10 records of my early listening habits in the metal genre. The list was probably something like this:

1. Pyromania
2. Shout at the Devil
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. Back In Black
5. Out of the Cellar
6. Creatures of the Night
7. Metal Health
8. Asylum
9. Bark at the Moon
10. Invasion of Your Privacy

These were the albums that for all practical purposes, I was listening to, and at a very heavy rotation from late '83 (When I first got into metal, through '85). Growing up on the south side of Indianapolis, we didn't have a radio station which delved into anything particularly heavy. As a family, we still didn't have cable T.V, which limited my access to MTV. I was young (12-14 through this period), and I wasn't exactly hanging around with kids who were part of a metal community, who could help expand my horizons into more progressive/heavier stuff. I had limited funds, until I had an afternoon paper route sometime in 1984, and that money was being used for......I have no idea?

Like I said, I probably should be paying homage to "Back In Black" as a blue print to my Heavy Metal musical palette, but I can't hide my disdain for this album, some 30 years after its release. Give me "Powerage", "Flick of the Switch", or "Fly on the Wall" any day over this album.

manny wrote:
Putting aside my fanboy status of the Bon Scott era of AC/DC's career, the band not only replaced a great vocalist, but also a fan favorite and a man who was a big part of their sound and image, and got a man, who image wise was nothing like Bon Scott. Brian Johnson was to most of the world an unknown, and he stepped into the spotlight for something that could not have been a 100% comfortable, their bandmates had just buried a very close friend.

Not only did the album exceed all expections in terms of quality of songs, but it surpassed even their wildest success, and IMO Brian Johnson is the only man who could have taken Bon Scott's place in AC/DC.

I've never read any books tailored around just AC/DC the band, but it's fairly evident that they were after a more slick/polished, perhaps radio friendly sound on "Back In Black", which at the time might have alienated their core fan base, but would ultimately build them a new fan base. It's funny how a departure of a band mate, due to a death or acrimonious reasons can fuel the fire towards a new sound. I certainly can't fault AC/DC for the direction they took, as that one album has allowed them to sort of do what they want creatively for the last 30 years. And like I said, had this album not been tailored to the average rock fan, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten as heavily into the metal scene post 1985 as I eventually did.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
How many bands have songs that people who don't even like rock know? AC/DC transcends genres.

I suppose this represents both the good and the bad for the genre. Had I been a fan of AC/DC from the get go and the Bon Scott era (which is my favorite era), then I probably would have been mightily disappointed with an album like "Back In Black". I guess I'm glad that I'm not an AC/DC fan boy, though I consider myself a big enough fan to have purchased almost every album. When I was hitting the bar scene hard from 1993-1996, I knew the writing was on the wall, regarding my starting to really dislike "Back In Black". When I would be standing around, trying to look cool, yucking it up with my friends, and scoping for beautiful women, I will be damned if I wouldn't hear the title track and "You Shook Me All Night Long" being blasted throughout the place. When everyone was getting into those songs, I think it finally dawned on me, I don't like those songs anymore. Other monotonous bar songs were always "Brown Eyed Girl", "Tainted Love", "Come On Eileen", "You're the One That I Want/Summer Nights", "Should I Stay or Should I Go/Rock the Casbah", etc... Those songs were on constant rotation....
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

[q
[/quote]

I've never read any books tailored around just AC/DC the band, but it's fairly evident that they were after a more slick/polished, perhaps radio friendly sound on "Back In Black", which at the time might have alienated their core fan base, but would ultimately build them a new fan base. It's funny how a departure of a band mate, due to a death or acrimonious reasons can fuel the fire towards a new sound. I certainly can't fault AC/DC for the direction they took, as that one album has allowed them to sort of do what they want creatively for the last 30 years. And like I said, had this album not been tailored to the average rock fan, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten as heavily into the metal scene post 1985 as I eventually did.

[/quote]

Listen closely to the riffs - it's all classic AC/DC. BiB has pure energy. The recording are excellent as are the performances. I would say that Highway To Hell has a more radio friendly and a more polished sound than BiB
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

"Back in Black" more radio friendly than past releases? I don't agree with that at all. The vocals along are harsher than they ever were and negate the "radio friendly" tag. This was 1980. AC/DC were far from radio friendly at the time.

Of course, these days AC/DC are on regular rotation on most rock stations.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
"Back in Black" more radio friendly than past releases? I don't agree with that at all. The vocals along are harsher than they ever were and negate the "radio friendly" tag. This was 1980. AC/DC were far from radio friendly at the time.

Well, the Billboard Top 40 would suggest otherwise, as two of AC/DC's three Top 40 hit singles came from this album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Well, the Billboard Top 40 would suggest otherwise, as two of AC/DC's three Top 40 hit singles came from this album.

Sure, the album kicked a$$ in the charts and broke record sales, no doubt about that. However, just because the album sold well doesn't mean the music was intentionally more radio friendly. Really, in 1980, when most stations were playing new wave and slick pop rock, AC/DC were the heaviest thing going.

Here are the Top 50 songs of 1980. In comparison, AC/DC are the hardest rocking, harshest, heaviest band there.

1. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
2. Theme From New York New York - Frank Sinatra
3. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
4. What I Like About You - Romantics
5. Funkytown - Lipps Incorporated
6. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson
7. Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) - Pink Floyd
8. Master Blaster (Jammin) - Stevie Wonder
9. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
10. Fame - Irene Cara
11. Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
12. Take Your Time (Do It Right) - S.O.S. Band
13. He's So Shy - Pointer Sisters
14. Feels Like I'm In Love - Kelly Marie
15. One In A Million You - Larry Graham
16. Any Way You Want It - Journey
17. The Rose - Bette Midler
18. Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray
19. Off The Wall - Michael Jackson
20. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
21. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince
22. Upside Down - Diana Ross
23. On The Radio - Donna Summer
24. Volcano - Jimmy Buffet
25. Lady - Kenny Rogers
26. Whip It - Devo
27. Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
28. Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top
29. You Better Run - Pat Benatar
30. Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Scaggs
31. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
32. Misunderstanding - Genesis
33. Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
34. This Is It - Kenny Loggins
35. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
36. You May Be Right - Billy Joel
37. The Long Run - Eagles
38. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
39. I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
40. Rock Lobster - B-52s
41. Do That To Me One More Time - The Captain and Tenille
42. Call Me - Blondie
43. Love X Love - George Benson
44. Against The Wind - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
45. I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
46. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
47. Don't Push It Don't Force It - Leon Haywood
48. Remember (Walking In The Sand) - Aerosmith
49. (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon
50. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 am

ultmetal wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Sure, the album kicked a$$ in the charts and broke record sales, no doubt about that. However, just because the album sold well doesn't mean the music was intentionally more radio friendly. Really, in 1980, when most stations were playing new wave and slick pop rock, AC/DC were the heaviest thing going.

Here are the Top 50 songs of 1980. In comparison, AC/DC are the hardest rocking, harshest, heaviest band there.

1. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
2. Theme From New York New York - Frank Sinatra
3. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
4. What I Like About You - Romantics
5. Funkytown - Lipps Incorporated
6. On The Road Again - Willie Nelson
7. Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) - Pink Floyd
8. Master Blaster (Jammin) - Stevie Wonder
9. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
10. Fame - Irene Cara
11. Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
12. Take Your Time (Do It Right) - S.O.S. Band
13. He's So Shy - Pointer Sisters
14. Feels Like I'm In Love - Kelly Marie
15. One In A Million You - Larry Graham
16. Any Way You Want It - Journey
17. The Rose - Bette Midler
18. Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray
19. Off The Wall - Michael Jackson
20. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
21. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince
22. Upside Down - Diana Ross
23. On The Radio - Donna Summer
24. Volcano - Jimmy Buffet
25. Lady - Kenny Rogers
26. Whip It - Devo
27. Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
28. Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top
29. You Better Run - Pat Benatar
30. Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Scaggs
31. Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
32. Misunderstanding - Genesis
33. Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
34. This Is It - Kenny Loggins
35. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
36. You May Be Right - Billy Joel
37. The Long Run - Eagles
38. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
39. I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
40. Rock Lobster - B-52s
41. Do That To Me One More Time - The Captain and Tenille
42. Call Me - Blondie
43. Love X Love - George Benson
44. Against The Wind - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
45. I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
46. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
47. Don't Push It Don't Force It - Leon Haywood
48. Remember (Walking In The Sand) - Aerosmith
49. (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon
50. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

that's quite an icky list...no wonder why AC/DC sounded so good at the time.

I should keep that in perspective, when I'm railing against over-played classic rock radio.

...but still.

aside, wonder why Cocaine was a hit that year...being that Slowhand was released a few years earlier.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 am

Live version from "Just One Night' released in 1980
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 am

cool. thanks.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am

manny wrote:
Two other amazing comebacks in 1980,

First Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell-After a final tour with Ozzy where opening act Van Halen was blowing them off the stage and two albums in a row that failed to match the success of previous albums, Iommi makes the decision to fire Ozzy Osbourne, and hire Ronnie James Dio, a matching I am sure lots of fans and critics where predicting to destined to fail, after all he can replace the unreplaceable Ozzy Osbourne? Instead the band makes IMO the best album of their career.

Speaking of Ozzy, who would have thought that a drugged out, a man who was not the creative force in Black Sabbath to make a successful album and have a solo career that is now its 31st year, granted most of the success to this album is owed to Randy Rhoads, producer Max Norman and his new manager Sharon Ardeen (mis) but still an amazing success story.

It is a shame we could only vote for one. There was so much good stuff released in '80. I have enjoyed these year by year polls but this one was the hardest choice. I think Heaven and Hell is one fantastic album.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am

I agree exact I could have picked 'Iron Maiden' 'On Through the Night' 'Heaven and Hell' and others as my top spot, this one was very tough poll.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 pm

manny wrote:
I agree exact I could have picked 'Iron Maiden' 'On Through the Night' 'Heaven and Hell' and others as my top spot, this one was very tough poll.

wait til we get to 81!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next