Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!

Go down 
+37
Gilbert
TheDoctor'sScarf
Joe
GrandNational
Required Fields
kmorg
Ben Grimm
Getizzyback
nevermore
JBall_Z
adrian
QuothTheRaven
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
metalken
DeathCult
bassman
stepcousin
Lurideath
Zdan
325ad
James B.
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Sinistar
MoonChild
chewie
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
Troublezone
ultmetal
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AC/DC - Back in Black
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Accept - I''m a Rebel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Angel Witch - s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 28% [ 15 ]
Def Leppard - On Through the Night
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Iron Maiden -s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 5 ]
Judas Priest - British Steel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 4 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Saxon - Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 6 ]
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Van Halen - Women and Children First
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 pm

The heaviest IMHO is "Heaven and Hell"

My favorite is "Blizzard of Ozz"

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Just vote on your favorite. Heaviest really doesn't mean much at this point.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I used to love that Krokus album, used to have on vinyl I am going to pick it up someday, had one of my fav tunes by them 'Bedside Radio' is a classic IMO.

I like Angel Witch, but IMO it now sounds very dated.

Iron Maiden and Def Leppard's debut albums kick ass and great start to both bands.

Van Halen rules and this was the first Van Halen album I owned and it is still one of my favorites.

Randy Rhoads was a class act on those Ozzy albums.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

LOL Another poll and another time I do not agree with one of guys. I picked Blizzard over back in Black. Two classics indeed though.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I went with Motorhead here. I just love that album. It still stands as a monument to speed, rawness and grit in rock'n'roll!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 pm

To me this was the year heavy metal really started showing itself. When I relate to Heavy Metal, I relate it to this year in general. So many good albums that were definitive to the genre were released in 1980. This was a close one for me but because I have been a huge Sabbath fan for so long, my vote goes to Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 pm

too many great albums to choose from. I gotta toss in my 2 cents for some of these:

AC/DC - Back in Black....who's list wouldnt include this. standard textbook knowledge: Back In Black rules.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell.....My pick for the hardest and heaviest and possibly best.

Blackfoot - Tomcattin'....I recently got into Blackfoot and I love this album

Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus....much heavier than Mirrors, this album throws BOC into the hard rock/heavy metal ring of greatness.
Def Leppard - On Through the Night....great album but they were a year away from super-greatness.

Iron Maiden -s/t......might be my pick for most awesomeness in a debut ever.

Joe Perry Project - Let the Music Do the Talking...I just found this on vinyl about 2 weeks ago, just wanted to add that Smile

Judas Priest - British Steel....legendary album for JP in a year of great albums.

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz.....hard to pick against this one, any album that Randy Rhoads plays on is in the discussion of greatest ever.
Rush - Permanent Waves.....I love Rush but this list is tough, maybe in top 5 of 1980.

Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law....I cant choose between the two but one thing is for sure: Saxon Rules.

Scorpions - Animal Magnetism.....gotta show love for the Scorpions, so many great songs.

Ted Nugent - Scream Dream.....maybe his heaviest album from the late 70's era, lots 'o classic "Ted" songs (him singing and gettin' crazy).
Van Halen - Women and Children First....still young and hungry, they haddnt achieved stardom yet so they still had that edge.

Last edited by stepcousin on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Black Sabbath...... brilliant album
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

since most of these polls are for best in "heaviest/hardest" catagory, I went with Heaven & Hell, followed by Iron Maiden S/T. Good year for great heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm

DIAMOND HEAD- LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS

Not only is it perfect all the way through, but it's probably the most important album that came out that year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:49 pm

This is definitely one that I cannot honestly vote in as my pick as to the best of the bunch from that year changes every time I look at the choices (plus others in that year).

I also attended my first arena show this year. It was Van Halen on the WACF tour.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Crap. I voted Scorpions but I missed Heaven & Hell. That would be my real vote.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm going with Back in Black...but Scorpions at 2nd place.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I actually can't stand that Back In Black album for multiple reasons. Starting with the fact that Hell's Bells and the title track are just absolutely played to death. Add to that that I'm a major Bon Scott fan and I basically hate Back In Black. I have it but NEVER play it.

Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I actually can't stand that Back In Black album for multiple reasons. Starting with the fact that Hell's Bells and the title track are just absolutely played to death. Add to that that I'm a major Bon Scott fan and I basically hate Back In Black. I have it but NEVER play it.

QFT along with "You Shook Me All Night Long"
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 6:52 pm

325ad wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

QFT along with "You Shook Me"

Yep, that one too.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Had to go with AC/DC since that is the first of these albums that I owned. Mom had given me $100 to go school shopping and I bought a pair of jeans and Back in Black! headbanger
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 pm

I went with Saxon. Love both of those albums a lot.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Wow... what a remarkable year! I went with Judas Priest... Rapid Fire, Grinder, Steeler, The Rage, Metal Gods... British Steel is just too good. 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 pm

I went with British Steel.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I picked Back in Black, with On Through the Night as my 2nd pick. I'm more of a Hard Rock person, harder stuff like Priest, Sabbath, Maiden, and Saxon just don't appeal to me.

I consider AC/DC and Def Leppard hard rock, not Heavy Metal, although they seemed heavier at the time in 1980.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath.......HANDS DOWN!!! Dio
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:

agreed.

I could go my whole life without ever hearing a single song from that record again.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:34 pm

I went with Iron Maiden's first album. A milestone!

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 2:16 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Now the lists will really be tough but I went Saxon here.

Me too - But Saxon had the biggest influence on me. Those should pretty much ALL be in everyones collections though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next