Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!

Go down 
+37
Gilbert
TheDoctor'sScarf
Joe
GrandNational
Required Fields
kmorg
Ben Grimm
Getizzyback
nevermore
JBall_Z
adrian
QuothTheRaven
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
metalken
DeathCult
bassman
stepcousin
Lurideath
Zdan
325ad
James B.
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Sinistar
MoonChild
chewie
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
Troublezone
ultmetal
41 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AC/DC - Back in Black
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Accept - I''m a Rebel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Angel Witch - s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap28%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 28% [ 15 ]
Def Leppard - On Through the Night
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap4%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Iron Maiden -s/t
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap9%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 9% [ 5 ]
Judas Priest - British Steel
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap13%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 13% [ 7 ]
Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap2%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap7%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 7% [ 4 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap6%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Saxon - Wheels of Steel/Strong Arm of the Law
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap11%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 11% [ 6 ]
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap1%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_lcap0%1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Van Halen - Women and Children First
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Empty
PostSubject: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Hard rock and heavy metal seemed like it was dying by the end of the 1970's, especially in the U.S. However, there was a whole new wave of heavy metal bubbling up from the underground, especially in Europe. The NWOBHM was beginning to build momentum. Iron Maiden, Samson, Def Leppard, Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, etc. were all coming from that scene, building on what bands like UFO, Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy had done before them. In the U.S. the scene was beginning to build momentum as well, though it wouldn't start to see major popularity for a couple more years. Several bands were seeing growing success in the clubs on both the East and West Coast. In California Quiet Riot were regulars at the Starwood. In 1980 they lost their guitar player to a band that was to be called Blizzard of Ozz, but was later billed as Ozzy Osbourne. Van Halen were still hugely popular at this time as well. On the East Coast, Twisted Sister were filling up clubs with only a couple of self released 45RPM singles to promote themselves. Riot was still gaining momentum as well with two albums already under their belts. The New Wave of Heavy Metal had begun!

1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Creem80

AC/DC - Back in Black
Accept - I'm a Rebel
Aerosmith - Greatest Hits
Alice Cooper - Flush the Fashion
Angel Witch - s/t
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Blackfoot - Tomcattin'
Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus
Def Leppard - On Through the Night
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Fist - Turn the Hell On
Frank Marino - Juggernaut
Gamma - Gamma 2
Gillan - Glory Road
Girlschool - Demolition
Iron Maiden -s/t
Joe Perry Project - Let the Music Do the Talking
Judas Priest - British Steel
Kiss - Unmasked
Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous
Michael Schenker Group - The Michael Schenker Group
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Rush - Permanent Waves
Samson - Head On
Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
Ted Nugent - Scream Dream
Thin Lizzy - Chinatown
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
UFO - No Place to Run
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Whitesnake - Ready An' Willing

Also released the infamous "Metal for Muthas" and "Axe Attack" compilations.

I think that Anvil - Hard n Heavy was recorded and released in 1980 as well, only under the name Lips and independently released. The first official Anvil release of "Hard n Heavy" wouldn't be until 1981. As well, Raven were recording their first album in 1980 as well.

The poll is limited to only 15, so I tried to pick the ones I thought would be most popular.

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Ac/Dc - Back in Black!

It's almost perfect from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I am going for the obvious choice but I choice 'Back In Black' which I know is overplayed on the radio, but I choose it because, well the main reason I choose it is because I love the album but also the band rebounded so quickly from a tragedy, any other band losing a frontman like Bon Scott would have folded but AC/DC solider on and wisely choice Brian Johnson, the only man who could have stepped into the great man's shoes, and did not try to be Bon Scott II but was his own man while at the same time paying tribute to Bon's spirit.

Also the album is haunted by the spirit of Bon Scott IMO, from the opening tolling bells in mourning, to the album cover to the title track itself that even mentions Bon's braggado in the lyrics:

I keep looking at the sky cause it's gettin' me high
forget the hearse cause I’ll never die
I got nine lives cat's eyes

That is one of the few reasons while I choose this album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 pm

BEST? BS - Heaven & Hell
FAVORITE? - Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous or Def Leppard - OTTN
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Gonna go with Sabbath's HEAVEN & HELL on this one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Wow,I didn't realize how many awesome releases came out that year til I saw that list. Very hard to choose. Like many said the obvious choice would be Back In Black but I'll go against that and instead choose Heaven and Hell.

Oh and I love on that cover about the return of Heavy Metal -" Here Come The Goons " Laughing
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm

A lot of favorites from that year; Maiden, Priest, Nugent, BOC, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, etc. I went with Heaven & Hell.

I think that Joe Perry Project album is one helluva underrated gem as well.

Last edited by ultmetal on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Now the lists will really be tough but I went Saxon here.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Wow, some great choices, but I gotta go with Lemmy & Co.

Quote :
You know I'm born to lose,
and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live forever,

Although Ozzy's Blizzard was one of the very first cd's I ever purchased.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gonna go with Sabbath's HEAVEN & HELL on this one.

Like AC/DC ( without the tragic circumstances of course) here is a band who had to do the replace an iconic frontman and picked a man who was the complete opposite of Ozzy and managed to revive the fortunes of the band.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Are you kidding me???? There are way too many good choices here. What a great year for metal!

I gonna go with.........

On Through The Night.

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Back in Black definitely for me.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

To my liking:

1) Saxon Strong Arm of the Law (my vote)

2) Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell
3) Iron Maiden s/t
Tygers of Pan Tang Wild Cat
4) Motorhead Ace of Spades
5) Angel Witch s/t
Diamond Head Lightening to the Nations
Saxon Wheels of Steel
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Gotta give the vote to Iron Maiden, but holy frak some AWESOME albums this year!!! I could have easily chosen AC/DC (what a way to keep it going, Manny already said what needed to be said about this one!), Black Sabbath (DIO saves the day!!!), Priest, Motorhead, Scorps or Def Leppard!!!!!!! Other classics from Saxon and Van Halen included too? Frak me... Time to set the "time machine" to 1980 for my music playlist for a few days!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I had a hard time choosing between Heaven And Hell and British Steel...guess which way I went?

<----------- 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  170371
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:40 pm

British Steel > Ace Of Spades > Animal Magnetism > Heaven And Hell > Iron Maiden

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

1980 was declared I believe by Classic Rock Magazine as the best year in metal history anyone disagree?
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:44 pm

manny wrote:
1980 was declared I believe by Classic Rock Magazine as the best year in metal history anyone disagree?

Personally, I like 1981.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

manny wrote:

I'd say 1983 or '84, but then those were the two years where I really got full tilt into Metal so it might just be my personal preference.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I'd say 1983 or '84, but then those were the two years where I really got full tilt into Metal so it might just be my personal preference.

Same here I was only ten in 1980 so I was not rocking out to any rock band at this point, from historic viewpoint it seems more landmark albums where released in 1980 then any year prior or since.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:58 pm

1986 was the best year for metal. Tons of awesome releases that year.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

It was definitely the best year for Thrash. You had MASTER OF PUPPETS, PEACE SELLS and REIGN IN BLOOD all in one year.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I am not sure if it was best year or not but definitley a year of landmark metal releases that year.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

i will not vote cos i must give the vote to every band. there's no weak album.
1980 is just heavy metal year as never be again in the future and last.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It was definitely the best year for Thrash. You had MASTER OF PUPPETS, PEACE SELLS and REIGN IN BLOOD all in one year.

Yep,very good year indeed!

I went with Black Sabbath here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!    1980...The New Wave of Heavy Metal Invasion!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next