Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.

Go down 
+27
DallasBlack
jstate
MetalGuy71
Smindas
Luke Easter
kmorg
troublemagnet
nevermore
Stender
GrandNational
stepcousin
Joe
chewie
bassman
James B.
ultmetal
manny
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
Troublezone
brontotex
Olafsto
Fat Freddy
exact33
Dave the Boss
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:59 am

exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
There should be a law against mixing Metal and right wing conservative christianity Razz .

and maybe perhaps a similar one against metal and the the ultra-liberal godless left?

It confounds me that bands that preach that god is dead/never existed/conservatives are evil are lauded for exercising the freedom to say what they think but when a Christian band says what they believe politically people object? We have been through thread after thread about metal and any attempt to say metal should be only this or that way limits the genre. Let there be an open competition for ideas - an ideal many libs give lip service to but don't practice what they preach.

Well said!
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:33 am

nevermore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
There should be a law against mixing Metal and right wing conservative christianity Razz .

and maybe perhaps a similar one against metal and the the ultra-liberal godless left?

It confounds me that bands that preach that god is dead/never existed/conservatives are evil are lauded for exercising the freedom to say what they think but when a Christian band says what they believe politically people object? We have been through thread after thread about metal and any attempt to say metal should be only this or that way limits the genre. Let there be an open competition for ideas - an ideal many libs give lip service to but don't practice what they preach.

Well said!

I'd mostly agree. However, in my view, when you bring Christ into it that changes the rules a little. You're no longer simply talking about secular issues, you're claiming to speak for Jesus.
That is not something you should take likely.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 2:26 am

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:
nevermore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

Well said!

I'd mostly agree. However, in my view, when you bring Christ into it that changes the rules a little. You're no longer simply talking about secular issues, you're claiming to speak for Jesus.

I honestly dont understand why the rules would be changed? I do not think that being a Christian prohibits one from participating in the political dialogue - whether you are a liberal Christian or conservative Christian. If a band wants to express their view on societal topics - good for them. If I dont like the viewpoint, I wont listen or if I do, I will buy the music.

I agree that if a church agrees to be a non-taxable status that prohibits political expression, then they should not engage in that behavior. If a church forgoes the non-taxable status - that church is not prohibited from expressing its political ideas. In the end - the idea of no politics in religion is a secular idea.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 4:18 am

exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

No no no, everything I agree with should be allowed and is totally Metal!!
You know I wasn`t being very serious with my comment.
If the lyrics of a Christian Metal band is very preachy in a certain political direction, i guess it`s the bands problem because it will only further limit a already small group of people who would think of buying their album in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 am

What are politics and government? People doing the will of the governed. While I feel that seperating politics from religion is a good idea, I feel the government ends up with a relative morality, where your morality is different then mine, justifying all the wrong things governments end up doing.I would not want to live under Muslim rule that's for sure, and I
can certainly respect (though not agree) someone not wanting to live under a forced Christian life style by the government.Throughout human history, governments, regimes, dynastys all eventually collapse due to corrupt moral choices.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:46 am

Christian bands with a political agenda is all news to me........

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 am

kmorg wrote:

See Tourniquet - Ted K. thinks eating meat is wrong and pushes through their music. Their CD liners are also an advertisement for the terrorist group PETA. They can say what they want and push the vegan agenda all they want, it doesn't mean that I am going to stop eating meat just because I listen to the CD, much like I won't go out and start a local branch of the church of satan just becaused I listened to Mercyful Fate's don't break the oath.

My personal view is that anybody can say anything they want - it's called free speech. Both sides in the US have tried to do their fair share of censorship (christian right and left wingers) and it boils down to they didn't like what someone said so they want it outlawed.

Back to top Go down
Luke Easter
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:45 am

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

See Tourniquet - Ted K. thinks eating meat is wrong and pushes through their music. Their CD liners are also an advertisement for the terrorist group PETA. They can say what they want and push the vegan agenda all they want, it doesn't mean that I am going to stop eating meat just because I listen to the CD, much like I won't go out and start a local branch of the church of satan just becaused I listened to Mercyful Fate's don't break the oath.

My personal view is that anybody can say anything they want - it's called free speech. Both sides in the US have tried to do their fair share of censorship (christian right and left wingers) and it boils down to they didn't like what someone said so they want it outlawed.

Actually, no one in Tourniquet thinks it's wrong to eat meat, and none of us, Ted included, is pushing a vegan agenda. We believe in the humane treatment of animals; we think that Scripture is clear in mandating this. We are supposed to be good stewards of the things God has entrusted us with , and that includes the world we live in and the life on it. As to PETA, calling them a terrorist group is not entirely fair. Like any large group built around an ideology, they attract people form both extremes in terms of that ideology. Obviously, we do not support or condone the illegal actions taken by the more extreme elements within PETA. Frankly, calling our album liners "advertisement"s for PETA is a huge distortion.

With that said, folks should be able to express themselves however they want. Your art will reflect your worldview, which will be informed by your beliefs. A Christian will see things differently - generally speaking - than an atheist, who will see things differently that an nihilist, a Buddhist, a Satanist, and so on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquet.net
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 am

perspective, context, and insight mean everything.

If done correctly, even the deaf,dumb and blind will cath your drift.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 am

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

A bit harsch there, me thinks. But if that is an example of political agenda in Christian metal, then I have no beef with it, whatsoever.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:50 am

kmorg wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

A bit harsch there, me thinks. But if that is an example of political agenda in Christian metal, then I have no beef with it, whatsoever.

Maybe a bit harsh - but I have no issue with a band signing about whatever they want. That is just my take on Tourniquet and what the CD liner/Lyrics speak. Could care less - the first three Tourniquet albums are great. Ted K is a monster behind the drum kit!!!!! They also do a GREAT cover of The Tempter by Trouble on the Intense Live In The Studio series!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:52 am

I can't listen to bands like Saint or One Bad Pig because the way they handle this material is so obnoxious it brings up memories of hatecore bands.
And I can't listen to Saint because they're just a bit dull.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Smindas wrote:
I can't listen to bands like Saint or One Bad Pig because the way they handle this material is so obnoxious it brings up memories of hatecore bands.
And I can't listen to Saint because they're just a bit dull.

LOL!!!!! Saint released two great albums - Time's End (their best one) and Too Late For Living. Warriors Of The Son is rather dull and the newer stuff bores me to tears. I picked up Hellblade and it was, well, boring. Of course, a lot of folks on HoM think it's a great album, it just bored me to tears.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Yeah, I had to review Hellblade and Crime Scene Earth 2.0 last year and they both left me cold. Admittedly haven't heard any of their earlier stuff, those two albums put me right off.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Quote :
I was a bit irritated so I asked him where the Satan section was because I wanted to buy a King Diamond CD. I also wanted to know where the Hari Krishna section was so that I could buy a Cro-Mags CD. (Obviously being a smart a$$) However, I made my point. It's all just metal.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't really care what a Christian band chooses to write about... I'm more turned off when they blatantly steal a secular band's style and sound.

Whitecross / Ratt

Saint / Judas Priest
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I don't really care what a Christian band chooses to write about... I'm more turned off when they blatantly steal a secular band's style and sound.

Whitecross / Ratt

Saint / Judas Priest

Oh you mean like...

Led Zeppelin / Kingdom Come

AC/DC / Rhino Bucket

Judas Priest / Primal Fear

Aerosmith / Guns n Roses

AC/DC / Airbourne

I can remember when magazines back in the 70's were calling Aerosmith a Rolling Stones clone.

etc. etc. etc.

The obvious influence in a band's sound is most certainly not something that is distinct to Christian bands.

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Quote :
LOL!!!!! Saint released two great albums - Time's End (their best one)

Sweet, my favorite also. Liking this i'm surprised you don't like Hellblade.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm

I generally don't have a problem with any of the lyrics, Christian, secular or otherwise that I listen to. I might get a little turned off to a Christian band if the words are overly preachy or cheesy, but I don't get caught up in any bands agenda.

Like someoen else mentioned, listening to a pro-vegetarian song isn't stopping me from eating a burger, nor would listening to a Slayer album inspire me to become a serial killer.

My parents did a fine job teaching me right from wrong. I don't need songs or musicians to tell me.

Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Well, I guess it does seem to be just me. Laughing

That's alright. I'm cool with that. I'll admit that I've always been a bit over-sensitive to Christian bands' lyrics for some strange reason.

Again, it was just my opinion, and I didn't know if anyone else shared it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and what have you.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Guns n Roses are an amalgam of Aerosmith/early Crue/and probably Hanoi Rocks. Not just a rip off of one band. In other words, they have their influences like every other band out there and are no more of a clone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:51 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Maybe a bit harsh - but I have no issue with a band signing about whatever they want. That is just my take on Tourniquet and what the CD liner/Lyrics speak. Could care less - the first three Tourniquet albums are great. Ted K is a monster behind the drum kit!!!!! They also do a GREAT cover of The Tempter by Trouble on the Intense Live In The Studio series!!!!!!

Venom, King Diamond, Slayer, Ted Nugent, and Guns n Roses suck.

And James B is my fav poster [baby-batter!].

And my cat has gas.

Just thought I would throw some truth into the convo.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:40 pm

nevermore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

Well said!

So you have to be serious if you are a christian band claiming to speak for Christ, but bands that follow Satan can joke around about evil stuff and not be held responsible for stupid things they might say or do? That is a ridiculous double standard, not to mention that I dont know any band claiming to speak directly for God, they are just expressing personal beliefs and life experience.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 am

bassman wrote:
nevermore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

Well said!

So you have to be serious if you are a christian band claiming to speak for Christ, but bands that follow Satan can joke around about evil stuff and not be held responsible for stupid things they might say or do? That is a ridiculous double standard, not to mention that I dont know any band claiming to speak directly for God, they are just expressing personal beliefs and life experience.

Only if you think your average 'satanic' band actually believes anything they actually expouse. Or that an actual 'satanic' band actually believes in Satan in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:10 am

ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Whitecross / Ratt

Saint / Judas Priest

Oh you mean like...

Led Zeppelin / Kingdom Come

AC/DC / Rhino Bucket

Judas Priest / Primal Fear

Aerosmith / Guns n Roses

AC/DC / Airbourne

I can remember when magazines back in the 70's were calling Aerosmith a Rolling Stones clone.

etc. etc. etc.

The obvious influence in a band's sound is most certainly not something that is distinct to Christian bands.

Point taken... but i think that christian metal bands have not tried hard enough to be original besides Vengeance Rising's (blues thrash) and TQT's (medical metal).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next