Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.

Go down 
+27
DallasBlack
jstate
MetalGuy71
Smindas
Luke Easter
kmorg
troublemagnet
nevermore
Stender
GrandNational
stepcousin
Joe
chewie
bassman
James B.
ultmetal
manny
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
Troublezone
brontotex
Olafsto
Fat Freddy
exact33
Dave the Boss
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Empty
PostSubject: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:58 am

As I think is the case with alot of the people on this board, I'm a Christian. Baptist, to be exact. I myself have never had a problem with my music somehow interfering my faith, as I believe it strong enough to not be undermined by mere sounds on record (yes, even Mercyful Fate).

But there is a major problem I have with a certain chunk of Christian metal bands that, frankly, drives me crazy.

Now understand, I have absolutely no problem with CM bands using dark, apocalyptic energy or tackling social issues. That doesn't bother me at all. I love bands like Tourniquet or Trouble for doing just that.

But what I DO have a problem with is when they start bringing in niche political and social issues into their material. Culture War stuff, basically. I can't listen to bands like Saint or One Bad Pig because the way they handle this material is so obnoxious it brings up memories of hatecore bands.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, as a traditional Baptist, I have an aversion to mixing politics and religion in the same pot.

Am I nuts?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:04 am

I definitely get where you're coming from dude. The New World Order crap on the latest Saint album kinda bugged me too. It kinda seems like tons of American Christian bands worship at the altar of Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 am

I dont have a problem with it - other bands do the same thing so I dont see a problem with an artist expressing their political/social beliefs. A Christian band isnt a non-profit organization and are thus free to espouse whatever religious/political/societal opinions they have. If it bugs you - dont listen.

I do not think it is proper for a church which has that non-profit designation to be engaging in that type of political behavior.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:15 am

I dunno, I don't let it bother me. If nothing else, it shows that Christian metal bands can be just as boneheaded lyricially as any others.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 am

There should be a law against mixing Metal and right wing conservative christianity Razz .
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:52 am

They have the right to express themselves through their art however they choose.
Just like you have the right to choose to listen to what you like. And not listen to what you don't like.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 am

I don't like extreme views from either side...

Bill Clinton is a huge liberal and George Bush was a big conservative... they both harmed our country behind the scenes. They're all just puppets to those with money.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:34 am

When I was younger I always imagined Christian metal to be a bunch of people screaming "JEEESUS" at the top of their lungs over some heavy guitar. I wasn't that far off.

Not that I don't like it, but yeah I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 am

AAF, please give examples.

There are many things "wrong" with secular and Christian metal. To make a comprehensive list would be exhausting. You just hope there are more things "right" that outweigh the "wrong".
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dunno, I don't let it bother me. If nothing else, it shows that Christian metal bands can be just as boneheaded lyricially as any others.

LOL!!!!!!!! Lyrics are lyrics, they can sing what they want. I guess my issue is with the bone headed lead singers of Christian metal bands that are more arrogant than Rush Limbaugh and have an ago bigger than Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth combined!!!!! That turns me off to a band faster than anything!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:54 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

LOL!!!!!!!! Lyrics are lyrics, they can sing what they want. I guess my issue is with the bone headed lead singers of Christian metal bands that are more arrogant than Rush Limbaugh and have an ago bigger than Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth combined!!!!! That turns me off to a band faster than anything!!!!!!

lol!
So you`re not the one who donated 750$?..........
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Olafsto wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

lol!
So you`re not the one who donated 750$?..........

LOL!!! Heck now!!! In light of recent posts, I have been seriously turned off to said band
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:04 pm

I am with joker, the lyrics do not bother me, if you want spew out your politically viewpoint in a song, I only ask that you make it interesting.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:30 pm

I write about whatever it is I feel like writing about. I am a Christian, so obviously that drives a lot of my lyrics. I'm also an American, so that too will effect my lyrics. It's just me expressing what I want to express through our music. What am I suppose to do, limit my writing because it might offend someone? I don't think that most bands coming from opposing views worry to much about it. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of them try their best to offend. Listen to what you like and ignore the rest. My beef with (some) Christian Metal. 11840

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I only hear the vocals if they are turned up in my monitor

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:53 pm

My problem is when it is wrong for christians to express views, political or otherwise, but somehow it's OK for bands like Rage Against the Machine to be so far out there in the other direction. I would just like it if people would be honest in the lyrical content and not write words just to get a reaction from the listener. If you are a satanist, write satanist lyrics, if you are a christian, write christian lyrics, or just write about life in general and forget what side you're on as long as the music is good.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 pm

James B. wrote:
I only hear the vocals if they are turned up in my monitor
lol!
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I write about whatever it is I feel like writing about. I am a Christian, so obviously that drives a lot of my lyrics. I'm also an American, so that too will effect my lyrics. It's just me expressing what I want to express through our music. What am I suppose to do, limit my writing because it might offend someone? I don't think that most bands coming from opposing views worry to much about it. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of them try their best to offend. Listen to what you like and ignore the rest. My beef with (some) Christian Metal. 11840

Agreed.

Again, I think alot of this does indeed have to do with the fact that I'm an old school Baptist. I really, REALLY don't like politics and religion mixing together. I've seen far too much damage done to people because their pastors or fellow church members are told to vote a certain way or view a certain cultural issue a certain way, and they may think differently (or not care about the issue at all).

But as Ult said, this IS America, and I in no way meant to imply that a person shouldn't write whatever lyrics that they want.

Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:49 pm

I have to say that my biggest beef is that there is a genre called "Christian" metal. What does that really mean? If it is just based on lyrical content, then we should have "political" metal or "sci-fi" metal or whatever other theme you can think of. I honestly think this whole term was created to try and downgrade the quality of the music to all the "tr00 metalheadz"

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:14 pm

brontotex wrote:
They have the right to express themselves through their art however they choose.
Just like you have the right to choose to listen to what you like. And not listen to what you don't like.

this.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: i   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Joe wrote:
I have to say that my biggest beef is that there is a genre called "Christian" metal. What does that really mean? If it is just based on lyrical content, then we should have "political" metal or "sci-fi" metal or whatever other theme you can think of. I honestly think this whole term was created to try and downgrade the quality of the music to all the "tr00 metalheadz"

I'm all for that. It's all metal!

Back in the 90's I walked into a CD store in Albuquerque. I found Ultimatum's CD, that was being distributed by Diamante at the time, in the "gospel" section with The Winans, Amy Grant, etc. Mortification were on the same label but were being distributed at the time by Metal Blade and were in the metal/rock section. I asked the clerk at the store why a metal band was in the Gospel section. He said "because they are Christian metal". He obviously didn't know I was in the band. I then asked about Morty and he said, well, they are not a Christian band, they are on Metal Blade. Of course, I corrected him and told him he was wrong, to which he just said, well Ultimatum is distributed by a Christian distributer. I was a bit irritated so I asked him where the Satan section was because I wanted to buy a King Diamond CD. I also wanted to know where the Hari Krishna section was so that I could buy a Cro-Mags CD. (Obviously being a smart a$$) However, I made my point. It's all just metal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Joe wrote:

Back in the 90's I walked into a CD store in Albuquerque. I found Ultimatum's CD, that was being distributed by Diamante at the time, in the "gospel" section with The Winans, Amy Grant, etc. Mortification were on the same label but were being distributed at the time by Metal Blade and were in the metal/rock section. I asked the clerk at the store why a metal band was in the Gospel section. He said "because they are Christian metal". He obviously didn't know I was in the band. I then asked about Morty and he said, well, they are not a Christian band, they are on Metal Blade. Of course, I corrected him and told him he was wrong, to which he just said, well Ultimatum is distributed by a Christian distributer. I was a bit irritated so I asked him where the Satan section was because I wanted to buy a King Diamond CD. I also wanted to know where the Hari Krishna section was so that I could buy a Cro-Mags CD. (Obviously being a smart a$$) However, I made my point. It's all just metal.

Amen Scott! A few years ago I burned a copy of a Crimson Thorn and a Crimson Moonlight album for a friend who has quite anti-Christian leanings. I didn't tell him that these two bands unfortunately get to be labeled "Christian metal". He loved both albums, and I'm sure he would not have given it a chance if I told him about the nature of their lyrics. Metal is metal!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Joe wrote:

Hari krishna metal. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm

I only think its kinda lame when a christian band is politically specific all the time. Politics shouldnt be the focus of the message for a christian band anyways I would think.

but like ult said, bands should write about what they feel at the time regardless.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:49 am

Olafsto wrote:
There should be a law against mixing Metal and right wing conservative christianity Razz .

and maybe perhaps a similar one against metal and the the ultra-liberal godless left?

It confounds me that bands that preach that god is dead/never existed/conservatives are evil are lauded for exercising the freedom to say what they think but when a Christian band says what they believe politically people object? We have been through thread after thread about metal and any attempt to say metal should be only this or that way limits the genre. Let there be an open competition for ideas - an ideal many libs give lip service to but don't practice what they preach.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next