Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.

Go down 
+27
DallasBlack
jstate
MetalGuy71
Smindas
Luke Easter
kmorg
troublemagnet
nevermore
Stender
GrandNational
stepcousin
Joe
chewie
bassman
James B.
ultmetal
manny
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
Troublezone
brontotex
Olafsto
Fat Freddy
exact33
Dave the Boss
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Everyone has their pet peeves... I guess i don't like a lot of clone bands, just like ult doesn't like a bunch of cuss words on albums.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Being "overanalytical" is what creates the interesting discussions around here vs. "band x rules!!!!" or "band x stinks!!!".

I find it very interesting to hear what people think about this and what their experiences are.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
The first Barren Cross had some Maiden worship, but they evolved into their own sound.

Maiden were definitely an influence....Mike's vox were definitely Bruce Dickinson-ian, and the very up front, prominent bass playing seemed very much like Steve Harris' as well. However, the band's guitar sound was totally '80s L.A. metal.

Iron Maiden never dressed quite as funny as BC did on the original ROCK FOR THE KING album cover either. Laughing very hard

My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Ss2064

No, but Bruce wore some crazy stuff in the 80's LOL!!!! Yes, the guitar sounds weren't quite Maiden, but there was a HUGE influence on that album. I remember when a high school buddy lent it to me and my first tough was "MAIDEN!!!". The main lick from Goin' Nowhere is very close to Two Minutes To Midnight. Mike was VERY influenced by Bruce as was Jim by Steve Harris (even down to his "click" on some of the tracks). Fortunately they evolved and released the AWESOME Atomic Arena!!!!!!!!! Great band!!!!!!!!!

I always felt Stryper had the most "original" sound of the first Christian Metal bands - of course, you could heard their influence in the music, especially on IGWT which has a HUGE Styx influence on the vocal harmonies.

Like Manny said, back in the day everyone was a 'Christian' version of someone else, except Stryper - they were just Stryper and it;s probably a big reason they were as big as they were. These days, I just look at it as music (like Manny). But, back in the day it was HUGE deal to the be "christian version of x"
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I think all this "clone" stuff is being a tad overanalytical. I used to do the same thing, deride bands for "lack of originality", etc. In the end, it still comes down to "if you don't like it, don't listen to it". If one AC/DC is enough for you, then cool. If you can't get enough of what you love, there are other bands to feed the beast with.

Like I said, in this day and age, with Heavy Metal being 40 years old, true, absolute originality is hard to come by. As long as a band is good at what they do and are enjoying it, someone else will enjoy it too.

My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 25679

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Being "overanalytical" is what creates the interesting discussions around here vs. "band x rules!!!!" or "band x stinks!!!".

I find it very interesting to hear what people think about this and what their experiences are.

Oh I wasn't putting anyone down...just expressing a thought.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I grew up with the whole white metal scene, and I bought as many albums I could get my mittens on. I loved just about all the bands I heard. Then followed a period when I, for whatever reason, felt that many of the Christian metal bands didn't live up to the standards of the secular scene. They just weren't cool enough, sort of. So when I transferred my collection from LP's to CD's, I was less eager to rebuy the Christian bands. Then internet came about, and I started to rebuy as many of the old "classics" as could, and found that what I like is what I like. Be it Torn Flesh or One Bad Pig, if it moved me in any way, I no longer cared if said band was considered uncool. Today I own close to 1000 Christian metal CD's, and they take up approx 1/3 - 1/4 of my collection. There is a lot of variety, and very few of these bands are what I'd consider clone bands. A lot of them are innovative also, imo.

By biggest problem with the scene was how so many of these bands "folded" or changed when metal was considered uncool.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Joe wrote:
I have to say that my biggest beef is that there is a genre called "Christian" metal. What does that really mean? If it is just based on lyrical content, then we should have "political" metal or "sci-fi" metal or whatever other theme you can think of. I honestly think this whole term was created to try and downgrade the quality of the music to all the "tr00 metalheadz"

Hear, hear.

As I've said many a time before around this forum (sing it with me if you know the words, kids!): I personally couldn't care less if a band is singing about God, Satan, Buddha, Captain Kirk, or the Teletubbies. If they're a good band, they're a good band. If they suck, they suck.

I feel the same way, I don't like the label really, nor do I care what their singing about for the most part. But when the whole things just waxing on and on and on and on and on about the same thing, it gets boring quick. Which is one of the main reasons I can barely stand Stryper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Joe wrote:
I have to say that my biggest beef is that there is a genre called "Christian" metal. What does that really mean? If it is just based on lyrical content, then we should have "political" metal or "sci-fi" metal or whatever other theme you can think of. I honestly think this whole term was created to try and downgrade the quality of the music to all the "tr00 metalheadz"

Hear, hear.

As I've said many a time before around this forum (sing it with me if you know the words, kids!): I personally couldn't care less if a band is singing about God, Satan, Buddha, Captain Kirk, or the Teletubbies. If they're a good band, they're a good band. If they suck, they suck.

I feel the same way, I don't like the label really, nor do I care what their singing about for the most part. But when the whole things just waxing on and on and on and on and on about the same thing, it gets boring quick. Which is one of the main reasons I can barely stand Stryper.

and they dress like bumble bees
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm

manny wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Joe wrote:

Hear, hear.

and they dress like bumble bees

If I ever got hit with one of those bibles, that'd be the last you'd hear of his buzzing ass. Seriously though, I just can't take 60 minutes of rockin' it for Jesus! By the same standard though, I find myself quite bored with alot of other bands I used to love when I was younger "satan, satan, SAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAANNNNNN!!" Alright, I get it evil and darkness, yeesh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 pm

I remember growing up I only had Christian rock CD's. Then I borrowed my friend's Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time tape. It opened me up to listening to music other than "Christian music". I love both. I agree that some Christian bands sound like "this" band and had little to no originality. But there are some bands in the Christian scene that were great - Believer, Tourniquet, and some others that were very talented and were writing music that was technical and tight.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I wanted to know whether I really WAS overly sensitive or not to this stuff. Apparently, I'm not the only one, but I'm in the minority.

But here's the thing, even though the majority disagreed with me, it DIDN'T degenerate into a 'u suck!', 'no u!', 'ur ghey!', 'no ur ghey!' type of argument. Instead, everyone acted like adults and politely disagreed, logically stated their arguments, and then wished me well.

This is why I prefer this board over all of the other music boards, because everyone here acts a bit more mature.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 am

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:
But here's the thing, even though the majority disagreed with me, it DIDN'T degenerate into a 'u suck!', 'no u!', 'ur ghey!', 'no ur ghey!' type of argument. Instead, everyone acted like adults and politely disagreed, logically stated their arguments, and then wished me well.

This is why I prefer this board over all of the other music boards, because everyone here acts a bit more mature.

you caught us on an off day Razz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My beef with (some) Christian Metal.   My beef with (some) Christian Metal. - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My beef with (some) Christian Metal.
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5