Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

List american power metal bands.

Go down 
+14
exact33
kmorg
Ultimate.Nightmare
Thrasher73
Jesusandmetal23
metalken
Lurideath
Joe
ultmetal
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
Temple of Blood
Dave the Boss
Fat Freddy
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Yeah, this label things gets weird. I use it more to give a context, bands sounds cross the boundaries all the time. I see Metal Church get labeled thrash a lot though I don't consider them that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 pm

I noticed last night that the Sardonyx Majestic Serenity reissue is labeled as thrash. Not in my book it isn't.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Metal Church tends to get lumped in with the thrash bands a lot ... I'd say that had their thrashy moments here and there (especially on their first two albums) but I wouldn't classify them as an out-and-out "thrash" band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Metal Church tends to get lumped in with the thrash bands a lot ... I'd say that had their thrashy moments here and there (especially on their first two albums) but I wouldn't classify them as an out-and-out "thrash" band.

Right. They weren't quite thrash, yet they had some tendencies towards thrash metal which put them outside the traditional heavy metal genre, thus they were POWER METAL. How power metal became this flowery crap like Kamelot is beyond me.

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm

People call Ultimatum thrash, but I tend to think you guys are a power metal band. Anybody with me?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
How power metal became this flowery crap like Kamelot is beyond me.

To try to give the music credibility. Same reason a lot of genres are called "metal" but aren't.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm

ultmetal wrote:
How power metal became this flowery crap like Kamelot is beyond me.

During the 90s, the Europeans tagged bands like Helloween, HammerFall, etc. as "power metal" while we here in the U.S. weren't looking. By the time we found out about that, it was too late and the label stuck. Laughing

SpectreFate wrote:
People call Ultimatum thrash, but I tend to think you guys are a power metal band. Anybody with me?

I always thought they were more of an epic symphonic power/speed/thrash/polka/grindcore combo with just a hint of mint. Y'know, for flavor.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:48 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Sure. We combine elements of traditional metal and thrash.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Armory
Ravage

Ultimate.Nightmare
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ultimate.Nightmare

Number of posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 am

I always considered power metal to be the fist pumping, galloping, catchy hooks and chorus sounding metal. In that case, you could very well put Bon Jovi in league with bands like Running Wild. But not always the "clean vocals". Grave Digger gets lumped into the power metal category nowadays, mainly around the "Middle Ages Trilogy" to current. Before that, they straddled the sound- Like Metal Church, I just considered them to be 'metal', as a general term, like Omen, Hallows Eve and Sanctuary. Virgin Steele became more symphony sounding, but not like Rhapsody (of Fire). Is Virgin Steele power metal, like the Kamelot's "flower crap"? (great term by the way). Or Manowar, great power, great sound and singing but a little repetitive and homo-erotic at times, but that's a different topic. Where does one draw the line in power metal as a general term and an EXACT definition with bands that everyone can agree on?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am

I usually call pretty much everything from America that isn't thrash and isn't straight heavy metal US metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
What makes Saint "Power Metal" and Armored Saint not?

I love semantics...

In this day and age, anything with clean vocals that's not "Hair Metal" gets called Power Metal by someone, somewhere. I've seen people include Iced Earth and Nevermore in Power Metal discussions when I myself do not consider them to be.

While I also disagree that Iced Earth and Nevermore are power metal, they at least fit the original context of the term. They can best be desrcribed as heavier than classic metal but not as heavy as thrash. Both bands use thrash metal elements (mostly riffs), but is clearly not thrash bands.

Nevermore is heavier than most Thrash bands...Iced Earth sounds more like Puppets era Metallica (before Schaffer added all those epic symphonies) than anything close to Power Metal...If Iced Earth had put out Something Wicked in 1987, it would have been labelled Thrash...

Eh, no?

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 am

I didn't want a debate, I wanted bands. Bands, you hear me, bands!! angry
Kidding, it's cool but are there any others, even from Europe but have the sound?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:58 am

kmorg wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I love semantics...

In this day and age, anything with clean vocals that's not "Hair Metal" gets called Power Metal by someone, somewhere. I've seen people include Iced Earth and Nevermore in Power Metal discussions when I myself do not consider them to be.

While I also disagree that Iced Earth and Nevermore are power metal, they at least fit the original context of the term. They can best be desrcribed as heavier than classic metal but not as heavy as thrash. Both bands use thrash metal elements (mostly riffs), but is clearly not thrash bands.

Nevermore is heavier than most Thrash bands...Iced Earth sounds more like Puppets era Metallica (before Schaffer added all those epic symphonies) than anything close to Power Metal...If Iced Earth had put out Something Wicked in 1987, it would have been labelled Thrash...

Eh, no?

Sure it would have...put Something Wicked next to Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets and they're not too different, IMO. IE has a lot of 80s Thrash influence...that much can't be denied...so much so that IMO they're not a Power Metal band. "Disciples Of The Lie" especially...

How about we compromise and call it "Power Thrash Metal"? List american power metal bands. - Page 2 911681

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I love semantics...

Eh, no?

Sure it would have...put Something Wicked next to Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets and they're not too different, IMO. IE has a lot of 80s Thrash influence...that much can't be denied...so much so that IMO they're not a Power Metal band. "Disciples Of The Lie" especially...

How about we compromise and call it "Power Thrash Metal"? List american power metal bands. - Page 2 911681

Can't remember the name of it right now, but I've read a book where he claims that thrash metal was actually called power metal before the term thrash became the standard. Metallica had a demo named "Power Metal".

So what would you call Iced Earth and Nevermore then.

Armageddon (had to throw a name out there)

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Quote :

Metal

List american power metal bands. - Page 2 11840

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Metal

Good Answer!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Since we're on the subject of classifying bands,How would you guys classify bands like Early Man,The Sword,High On Fire and the such?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Quote :
How would you guys classify bands like Early Man,The Sword,High On Fire and the such?

They go in the "F**KING AWESOME" category.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Since we're on the subject of classifying bands,How would you guys classify bands like Early Man,The Sword,High On Fire and the such?

Metal

Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

I knew I could count on you guys,Haha! cool
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:13 pm

How about Recon or Sacred Warrior?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 am

bassman wrote:
How about Recon or Sacred Warrior?

I always considered them both to progressive heavy metal.

Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Oliver Magnum
Deadly Blessing
Crimson Glory
Banshee
Damien
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: List american power metal bands.   List american power metal bands. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

List american power metal bands.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next