Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Musicians turned actors

Go down 
+15
spiritoradio
QuothTheRaven
Addy
sheets
jstate
Leatherface
Joe
manny
Fat Freddy
Schbopo
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Zdan
tohostudios
kmorg
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Musicians turned actors Empty
PostSubject: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:54 am

Did anyone pull this off sucessfully? I know many did this, Alanis Morissette, Jon Bon Jovi, Gene Simmons, Tina Turner etc. But who did it good? Here's 2 i think did it very well:

Tom Waits - His role in "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is awesome!

Cher - She's done some great movies, and my favorites include "Mermaids", "The Witches of Eastwick" and "Tha Mask"

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:57 am

Meat Loaf
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:58 am

Roger Daltrey's been in some movies I think. Don't know if he's any good or not.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:02 pm

I don't think he ever made it big or made good movies but what movies he did made/starred in were hilarious(ly bad). I'm talking about Jon Mikl Thor of course.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Elvis' debut movie 'Love Me Tender' was actually pretty decent and he did a good job with the role. It wasn't written with him in mind, so it wasn't the cheese his later films would become.

Frank Sinatra has some decent roles early on as well. His bit part in "From Here To Eternity" was rumored to be the inspiration for the whole "Make him an offer he can't refuse" horsehead scene in 'The Godfather'.

Good call on Cher too, Kmorg. I'd rather watch her act than listen to her music.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Good call on Cher too, Kmorg. I'd rather watch her act than listen to her music.

I agree. However, she's recorded some great songs, including a cool version of Kiss' "A World Without Heroes".

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Depending on how you define musician, or how you define success...

Kris Kristofferson

Clint Eastwood

Common (me and the wifey saw Just Wright, where he plays a baskeball player...I was pleasantly surprised. He was pretty good.)
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:46 pm

David Bowie's been in a few movies. Labyrinth was pretty cool, and he was in Zoolander for a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Alice Cooper did "Monster Dog," plus he had a bit part in "Wayne's World"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Alice Cooper did "Monster Dog," plus he had a bit part in "Wayne's World"

Didin't he play Freddy Krueger's father in one of the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' sequels?

Will Smith and Marky Mark have done alright for themselves. Although some might take exceptions to calling them "musicians" Musicians turned actors Icon_razz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Gene Simmons did a movie with Tom Selleck, and did a season and half of a show called 'Third Watch'

Joan Jett did a movie with Michael J Fox, 'Light of Day'

Michael Des Barres formely of the forgotten Silverhead used to be a TV show in the 80's, the Equalizer or some crap like that.

but the question was any of them any good?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! except Cher but I am not a fan.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Didin't he play Freddy Krueger's father in one of the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' sequels?"

Did he really? That must've been one of the later movies. I got sick of "Elm Street" after the fourth (or was it fifth?) movie and didn't bother with the ones that came afterward.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Didin't he play Freddy Krueger's father in one of the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' sequels?"

Did he really? That must've been one of the later movies. I got sick of "Elm Street" after the fourth (or was it fifth?) movie and didn't bother with the ones that came afterward.

Never seen it myself either, but in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, Alice played Freddy's abusive father in what I assume was some sorta flashback sequence.

Michael Des Barres was also in that newer version of WKRP in Cincinatti from the early 90's with Tawny Kittane. I think his qualifications as a "musician' are a little questionable as well.

Joan Jett more or less played herself in Light of Day from I can remember.

Gene was cool in Trick or Treat

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Huh... you really do learn something every day. Laughing

I don't know if they were exactly "acting" since they played themselves, but the Ramones each had a line or two of dialogue in "Rock N Roll High School" (DeeDee's sole spoken part: "Hey, PIZZA! Great! Let's dig in!")

"Mama Cass" Elliot was in an old episode of "Scooby Doo" -- does that count?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Quote :

I remember that episode well although as a kid, I had no idea who Mama Cass was at the time. It wasn't until many years later that I made the discovery.

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:22 pm

J-Lo but is she really a musician? For that matter, is she even an actress?
Barbara Streisand. Neil Diamond.
Deborah Harry actually did ok in Wiseguy and was in Hairspray and Videodrome.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I remember that episode well although as a kid, I had no idea who Mama Cass was at the time. It wasn't until many years later that I made the discovery.

That "Scooby Doo" toon turned up on the "Boomerang" channel not long ago, so I had to explain to my son who this "Mama Cass" was and why the Mystery Machine gang was so excited about meeting her. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Ted Nugent , Phil collins, Frank Zappa, and pop metal singer Fiona ( remember her?) all did appearances on 'Miami Vice'

Bob Dylan did two films and there is a reason he is a professional musician and not an actor. He makes Corey Fieldman look like Russel Crowe in comparison.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Quote :
Ted Nugent , Phil collins, Frank Zappa, and pop metal singer Fiona ( remember her?) all did appearances on 'Miami Vice'

Don't forget Glenn Frey. He actually played a sporadically recurring character if I remember correctly.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Do rappers count? I can think of a few off the top of my head that have been in mainstream movies and tv shows:

Ice-T
Ice Cube
Snoop
Ludacris
LL Cool J
Eminem (although he pretty much played himself, right?)
Vanilla Ice
Spoiler:

There's probably plenty more, but those are some that come to mind.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Harry Connick Jr.

He's been in a handful of movies and done a decent job.

Independence Day
Hope Floats
Copycat

Those come to mind.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

And John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness as a homeless guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:44 am

Huey Lewis
Never understood why he doesn't do more things. Just don't watch him in Short Cuts because you'll see more of him than you'll ever need to see. He takes a full on leak in that one.

When my brother was a producer on One Tree Hill they brought him in to play a father role. And not only were they impressed with his acting but apparently he was the coolest guy as well. No ego, super friendly to everyone. My brother who was not a fan before went out and bought all his albums.

Gene Simmons was also really good in that Rutger Hauer movie Wanted: Dead Or Alive
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:49 am

jstate wrote:
Huey Lewis
Never understood why he doesn't do more things. Just don't watch him in Short Cuts because you'll see more of him than you'll ever need to see. He takes a full on leak in that one.

According to "Sweet Sweet Connie" Hamzy, the famous groupie, Huey has a giant wang. Musicians turned actors Icon_razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:26 am

Alice Cooper has done lots of movies, Prince of Darkness, Roadie (w/Meat Loaf), Freddy's Dead (Another 3D movie, btw), and he did a role for Maverick that was cut out before the movie was released. I swear I saw that part in the cinema though......

PostSubject: Re: Musicians turned actors   Musicians turned actors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Musicians turned actors
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next