Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enough with the remakes!!!

Go down 
+33
Troublezone
SpectreFate
Witchfinder
Boris2008
James B.
corplhicks
jstate
DallasBlack
TheDoctor'sScarf
MetalGuy71
Sutekh
Lurideath
DeathCult
Orion Crystal Ice
sheets
Stender
Addy
Jesusandmetal23
thejokeriv
Dave the Boss
Wargod
snooloui
kmorg
Leatherface
manny
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
chewie
Metallic Blaze
exact33
Schbopo
tohostudios
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I love some of the comments in this thread. I get that remakes get frowned upon as they mess with our memroies of our favorite movies.

But when I see things like "Only Jack Nicholson can play The Joker" or "Only Leslie Nielsen can play Frank Drebin" it makes me laugh because we only say those things because it's what we know.

If Jack Palance had played The Joker in the '89 Batman movie, or if Tim Conway had played Frank Drebin in all the NG movies, we'd be saying only THEY could play those roles.

"stating the obvious rant" over.

Or the movies would have bombed and it wouldn't be an issue because Tim Conway isn't funny and Jack Palance would have been a terrible Joker
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm mostly OK with remakes as I feel that some films often had plenty of room for improvement(like with Oldboy, loved the remake of that one)
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 am

Just saw the preview to the new RoboCop, and my immediate thought was the thread title! The original was such a product of the 80s (even the name!) that I'm not sure it will work today. After watching the preview, the remake just feels unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 3:08 am

Sutekh wrote:
Just saw the preview to the new RoboCop, and my immediate thought was the thread title! The original was such a product of the 80s (even the name!) that I'm not sure it will work today. After watching the preview, the remake just feels unnecessary.
Watching the original I find that a lot of the social commentary in that film applies today just as much today as back when it was released if not moreso, so i'm sure the remake could be a good film in it's own right.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I love some of the comments in this thread. I get that remakes get frowned upon as they mess with our memroies of our favorite movies.

But when I see things like "Only Jack Nicholson can play The Joker" or "Only Leslie Nielsen can play Frank Drebin" it makes me laugh because we only say those things because it's what we know.

If Jack Palance had played The Joker in the '89 Batman movie, or if Tim Conway had played Frank Drebin in all the NG movies, we'd be saying only THEY could play those roles.

Or the movies would have bombed and it wouldn't be an issue because Tim Conway isn't funny and Jack Palance would have been a terrible Joker

yep. What is the chance that the next person to play Frank Dreblin will actually be as funny? They may pull it off but I have serious doubts.

martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 am

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

yep. What is the chance that the next person to play Frank Dreblin will actually be as funny? They may pull it off but I have serious doubts.

I cant fathom any of the current "popular" funny leading men coming remotely close to pulling off what was done before.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 1:11 pm

martinsane wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I cant fathom any of the current "popular" funny leading men coming remotely close to pulling off what was done before.

i dont know - I think there are some pretty funny people out there and we have had a ton of years to watch and re-watch some of these movies. I was surprised by how good some of the re-makes were (Star trek) but those are among the minority. I just dont see a new Naked Gun being even half of funny as the original - even the sequels could not live up.

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm

The reason Leslie Nielsen was so funny was because he was making fun of his previous career as a "serious" actor, seeing someone that straight-laced do the silly stuff that Drebin did was why it was funny. To duplicate that now you would have to cast a formerly-serious actor (who never does comedy).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What? Tim Conway isn't funny? He does annoy me in McHale's Navy but on the Carol Burnett Show, he cracks me up! He would have made a great Drebin!

Speaking of McHale's Navy, I believe that Squidward is based upon Joe Flynn's Captain Binghamton character. Check out the voice and facial expressions....
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 12:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
The reason Leslie Nielsen was so funny was because he was making fun of his previous career as a "serious" actor, seeing someone that straight-laced do the silly stuff that Drebin did was why it was funny.  To duplicate that now you would have to cast a formerly-serious actor (who never does comedy).  

Was going to post the same thing and I agree, would need a serious actor that never did comedy. The current round of "funny men" would not be funny... i.e. Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell as Frank Drebin (God forbid that really happen....)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 12:49 pm

chewie wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What? Tim Conway isn't funny? He does annoy me in McHale's Navy but on the Carol Burnett Show, he cracks me up! He would have made a great Drebin!

Speaking of McHale's Navy, I believe that Squidward is based upon Joe Flynn's Captain Binghamton character. Check out the voice and facial expressions....

I always found it painful to watch him..... My dad used to watch Carol Burnett all the time when I was growing up - never found it funny....
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
The reason Leslie Nielsen was so funny was because he was making fun of his previous career as a "serious" actor, seeing someone that straight-laced do the silly stuff that Drebin did was why it was funny.  To duplicate that now you would have to cast a formerly-serious actor (who never does comedy).  

Was going to post the same thing and I agree, would need a serious actor that never did comedy. The current round of "funny men" would not be funny... i.e. Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell as Frank Drebin (God forbid that really happen....)
I would totally be OK with both of them doing something like that.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 8:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
chewie wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I always found it painful to watch him..... My dad used to watch Carol Burnett all the time when I was growing up - never found it funny....

I think you might be confused. As far as I know, Joe Flynn was never on Carol Burnett. Tim Conway was the regular. And a very funny man, but could not be Frank Drebin.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 10:14 pm

007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
chewie wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I think you might be confused. As far as I know, Joe Flynn was never on Carol Burnett. Tim Conway was the regular. And a very funny man, but could not be Frank Drebin.

Oh no, the Joe Flynn comment was just a separate observation. I now realize that I did not transition that very well, that's all! Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 10:24 pm

chewie wrote:
007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
chewie wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Oh no, the Joe Flynn comment was just a separate observation. I now realize that I did not transition that very well, that's all!  Smile

Oh, gotcha.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 1:59 pm

I may have to stand outside the theaters protesting this one.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/paramount-remake-explorers-688024

The original is very near and dear to me.  Just steal the concept and call it something else please.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 2:10 pm

jstate wrote:

The original is very near and dear to me.  Just steal the concept and call it something else please.
While I can think of better films to remake, i'm pretty much indifferent to this one, I found the film fairly average and thought it had room for improvement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 2:13 pm

jstate wrote:

I think a lot of people under the age of 35 have probably never seen that movie, although I know it has a loyal cult following (especially amongst Dante fans). I'm actually surprised a studio decided to remake it because it was a notorious flop when initially released (cost $20 million to make, only made $9 million theatrically).  

The thing about remakes is they really don't do any damage to the original film, if a remake completely sucks the original film remains intact.  The same theory as a bad film doesn't ruin a novel, the novel is unchanged.  So I don't get upset about it any longer.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Quote :
nly made $9 million theatrically

I did my part.  Saw it four times in the theater.  Even ponied up for the soundtrack too.  Good point about the originals not being hurt.  And if anything it enhances what worked about them.

What's funny about the remake glut is that I used to get really excited when a remake would come along.  How would they update it?  What little nods would they have to the original?  Damn did I ever love the Thomas Crown Affair remake.  Unfortunately the excitement wore off with the remakes of Psycho and Diabolique.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enough with the remakes!!!
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12