Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?

Go down 
+24
Lari
MetalFRO
ohwellmonkey
Addy
QuothTheRaven
stepcousin
Troublezone
manny
A Handful of Wayne
Dave the Boss
Metallic Blaze
Wargod
GrandNational
jstate
nevermore
scottmitchell74
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
krokus
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Empty
PostSubject: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:31 pm

YES, when you buy a new record, how many times you listen to it before you put it away for some time?.
I normaly 3 times (sometimes 4) and then i listen to other stuff but go back to the new record a couple of days later.
And you???
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Depends on the album. If it's a brand new release from a favorite band, it might dominate my play list for days. If it's something that I have owned in the past (i.e. an upgrade of an old tape to CD) it might get 2 or 3 spins before it gets put away.

If it's a new band I've never heard before it usually takes 4 or 5 spins for it to "gel" and for me to decide if I truly dig it or not.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:44 pm

I am always afraid to play a new release to many times because many times like that it get boring and my first positive opinion about the record can change a little.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:50 pm

I have audio ADD. When I buy a new album, 90% of the time if it hasn't clicked by the 5th or 6th track, I hit the Eject button and the disc gets banished to The Vault.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Depends on the album
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:30 pm

A few factors to considder.
Is the disc by one of my favoite artists? How much other new music do I have at the time? Is it a new artist that I have high expectations for? Do I want to like this album and am I willing to spin it over and over again until it clicks?

Testament's last album remained in my cd carrying case for months after I bought it. Just kept going back to it over and over. But if I have 5 or 6 new cd's sitting next to me, they might only get a spin or 2 before they get shelved, especially if it doesn't grab me right away.

So really, I don't have an answer. Depends on the disc I guess.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Some only get one play and then get shelved,others I keep in the player for days.Depends how it grabs me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Metalguy nails it. If it's an album I think is a grower, i'll give it more listens too.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Until I get sick of it When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? 778825
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:39 pm

i don't think one rule really applies to every album.

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Depends......if it doesn't stick I don't keep it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:24 pm

It really depends on how the music grabs me.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

I usually rotate it between the stereo, the car, and then ultimately onto the ipod. I have a specific shelf on a cd rack that I consider the "line-up". I try to keep it an orderly system, but it seldom works that way in practice. Some stay for longer times, some just long enough to go through the rotation. So at the very least something new gets three plays. There are plenty that have been pulled before that though.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 am

jstate wrote:
I have a specific shelf on a cd rack that I consider the "line-up". I try to keep it an orderly system, but it seldom works that way in practice. Some stay for longer times, some just long enough to go through the rotation.

I had this system going for a while, but I guess rules are meant to be broken.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 am

Couple times usually unless it kicks my arse!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Some only get one play and then get shelved,others I keep in the player for days.Depends how it grabs me.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

Same here.

+1

Really it depends on how good the album is (obvious huh? Laughing).
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 6:38 pm

In the age of the Ipod I tend to just buy cds, depending on if I buy them at a store I listen to them on the way home and then put it on my ipod. I try to listen to it if I go back out again or at work. If I get something in the mail it usually goes right to the ipod and again I either try to listen to it when I go out or wait til i get to work the next day. I do try to listen to stuff when I'm home but thats not very often. It also depends on who the band is. Say if its Helloween, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. then I listen to for quite a while before it gets put away. If its a band like Fastball, Wallflowers etc then I listen to it when I'm in the mood which may not be for a while.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 8:59 pm

When I buy a CD I always listen to it before I fill it away, and depending on my mood how many times I revisit the album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Typically, most of the cds I purchase get put into my case that holds 24 and I take it in the car and work. I switch them up every Sunday night, so most cds stay with me for at least a solid week before they get shelved. So they could theoretically get multiple spins in that weekly time frame, or just once. Now depending on how well I like the disc determines if it gets swapped out Sunday night or stays in the rotation. It's rare that I'll swap out all 24 slots at once. Usually 10 to 15 get pulled.

When I'm at home, I'll just pick something off the rack to play or whatever I have handy on the computer. Or if I'm in the kitchen or dining room, it's usually sattelite radio.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Depends on the album. If it's a brand new release from a favorite band, it might dominate my play list for days. If it's something that I have owned in the past (i.e. an upgrade of an old tape to CD) it might get 2 or 3 spins before it gets put away.

If it's a new band I've never heard before it usually takes 4 or 5 spins for it to "gel" and for me to decide if I truly dig it or not.

About the same for me.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 am

Fisrt I gotta give it the car listen. IMO the best listen one can have is in the car, I listen to every little thing about the album and make a good judgement on it. I tend to be a bit of a hard critic on the first listen. Then I rip it into the iPod and listen to it at work straight through without interruption and that is where I tend to give it the benefit of the doubt and I realize that it's better than I thought it was. Then I play a few select songs here and there, in the shower or just rockin' out for a track or two. Then I wont listen to it again for a few weeks or maybe even a couple months. Then I'll listen to it at work again.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:18 am

stepcousin wrote:
Fisrt I gotta give it the car listen. IMO the best listen one can have is in the car,

It's funny you mention this, because I have found that I hear things when listening in a car that I don't hear when listening elsewhere. I agree with most everyone else, it depends on the album. One spin is sometimes enough, other times I'll listen for several days.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 am

Depends, I still havent put away the Ace Frehley CD and I got that before Thanksgiving
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Always once then in the 5 disc, til i get bored of it. i never update my ipod unless its for a trip. then it's a scramble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?   When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When you buy a new album, how many times you play it till you put it away?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next