Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album

Go down 
+16
Troublezone
MEGATRON
AchrisK
TheGooch
Lurideath
ZetaReticuli
7thSaviour
manny
James B.
MetalH
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
Ben Grimm
Metallic Blaze
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:09 pm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=135318

Pretty cool news, IMO. Can't wait for this album. The last one was amazing, can't believe I didn't even discover it until about this time last year.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm

$$$
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Don't know what to say here.

Love Dream Theater. Hate Avenged Sevenfold.

Guess I'll have to pass.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 pm

I have been indifferent about them in the past I have the last two albums but I would not say they are my favorite band, this does interest me but I assume that Portnoy will probably play this as Avenged Sevenfold not Dream Theater, so I don't expect the Portnoy "fireworks" to be on the album. I am sure the drum work will be good, that is one thing Avenged has had going for them on previous albums but Portnoy will in the end mostly be hype in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 pm

c'mon Mike, convince us of all the hunger and progressive power of this underrated band.

yeah..

this is the Fates Warning freak? Brother, you losing touch. Have DT cover the 'Control and Resistance' or 'Focus' album live, you'll feel much better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:51 am

Eh, I'm no Avenged fan, but if it makes Mike happy to do it, why not? Puts a little cash in his pocket and maybe it will give some of these young whipper-snapper Avenged fans some exposure to Dream Theater.

Did they ever say what the AS drummer died from? I didn't follow the story much, but I assumed it was an overdose.

Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

From what Mike has said, it seems like a real honor to him. I can't stand the older Avenged albums, but I do enjoy City of Evil and the S/T album. I've seen Avenged twice. The drumming was incredible, but the mix was so poor, all you could hear the whole time was the double bass.

Hopefully MP will be able to add something to their music and not just be a hired gun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am

Maybe he'll sing.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Maybe he'll sing.

That would kick things up notch r 2 in that dept.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Over the years in reading many interviews with Mike Portnoy, he is not a music snob and seems to like many genres of music outside of prog metal, so it does not surprise me he is a fan of AV7X.

I do not think he is doing it for the money, Dream Theater have huge international following I think he just happens to be a fan of the band and was honored to be asked. I am not a fan of AV7X and the one CD I have of them is ok at best but I wish them the best, they lost a friend that is always diffcult to overcome.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I love this news! Mike Portnoy is an awesome drummer and A7X is one kick-ass band! The Rev would be so proud!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Maybe he'll sing.

That'll ruin it for sure!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:34 pm

The vocals are what ruin them for me so it can't be worse.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Quote :
I do not think he is doing it for the money, Dream Theater have huge international following I think he just happens to be a fan of the band and was honored to be asked.

I'd like to think he's playing on the album for free, but I would hope he'll get something from album/download sales when it actually comes out. Business is still business.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Did they ever say what the AS drummer died from? I didn't follow the story much, but I assumed it was an overdose.

From what I understand, it wasn't an overdose but a culmination of years of drug abuse. Body just gave out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 am

http://www.bravewords.com/news/133104

Drum tracks are done.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 am

Portnoy could probably do this in his sleep.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Originally, we wanted to get Portnoy to come and play drums for us, but Phoenix Reign Drummer was begging us to let him in the band. But...he's almost Portnoy's equal, so that's good.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:24 pm

probably even with one hand while he's sleeping.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

what can i say about this? i guess theres only so much you can polish a turd
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Have you guys ever actually heard a whole A7X album? That drummer (RIP) could freakin' play! Killer chops!

You guys are way too negative...I don't like the singer either, but the musicians are no slouches by any stretch...the guitarists are very good...A7X is definitely not any typical emo/metal/whatever-core band...they're very good at what they do.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:25 pm

But Portnoy's technique is mindblowingly amazing with few peers in rock/metal. I wasn't trying to say the old drummer for A7X had no technique.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Two bands I care nothing for. I should not have even posted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
But Portnoy's technique is mindblowingly amazing with few peers in rock/metal. I wasn't trying to say the old drummer for A7X had no technique.

Agreed on Portnoy.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I've never been a fan of Avenged Sevenfold but I wish them all the best. What Mike Portnoy has done for the band is very generous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album   Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy to play drums on new Avenged Sevenfold album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next