Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?

Go down 
+22
Gilbert
DeathCult
rattpoison
Troublezone
bigjtink
krokus
Sutekh
Orion Crystal Ice
SlaytanicPOWER
Lurideath
sheets
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Lari
stevegarveyfan
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
the sentinel
exact33
mc666
Temple of Blood
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
XYZ wrote:
With some genres, artists' fans come and go. But with metal, fans seem to stick with their bands (ie:Iron Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). Why is that?

I think outside of the Top 40 stuff, most fans of music tend to stick with the artists. Look at all the classic rock bands that havent released anything new in decades but still draw thousands...

Yea, I'm not sure that it's just relevant to the metal genre. Fans of jazz or blues can be hardcore as well. Pop music/Top 40 on the other hand wasn't meant to be enjoyed for the long term. It's specifically made for the here-and-now. It's disposable.

I like to look at pop music as fast food. It seems fine at the moment and in very small doses, but once it's done, you don't relish it and it passes right through you. You can't survive on it.

Heavy metal is a full meal you can sink your teeth into and enjoy long after it's done.

Now I'm hungry.

Although sometimes it gives me gas! Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:50 am

When I was younger, I began by listening to pop and new wave. I started to listen to metal when I was in high school. In college my tastes broadened, and I listened to alternative. I now listen to everything from jazz and bluegrass to metal and punk. I don't consider myself a metalhead, and I definitely do not follow a "metal" lifestyle. However, I still love the music, because it has withstood the test of time. To me, music that has passion and integrity, and is played by dedicated musicians, will always have staying power. I don't care if it is pop, rock or classical. Good music is good music.
Back to top Go down
Oggy Mcheadbanger
Metal novice
Metal novice
Oggy Mcheadbanger

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 12:12 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
One reason is that, in a way, being a Metal fan is it's own lifestyle. Metal fans WANT the music...they WANT hard-copy (CD, vinyl, etc)...they WANT the T-Shirt...they WANT the torn ticket stub...they WANT the patches/stickers/pins/etc...it's a badge of honor in some ways to call one's self a Metal Fan. They want their prizes displayed for all to see because they are proud. Pride breeds loyalty.

Everything you said! Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 778825

Something about metal just ticks to us headbangers, from the pounding drums & bass to the shredding guitars and screeching wailing vocals it just reaches our inner feelings and electrifies them.

I'm only 19, I'm a young one, but I just can't wait to discover what metal master pieces I haven't heard of yet. As of now I am of course ever enjoying the hell outta the bands I already know and love. I mean when I wanna have a good never forgetting time I drink some booze, smoke a little pot and blast a metal tune and everything's just fine. Smile

So far in life, my most miserable time was when my mom passed away about a year a half back, while this happened I was with this girl that just completely didn't give me a shoulder to lean onto. I started to drink constantly (well as much as a minor could obtain alcohol haha!) I had no one, my step dad hated me, scolded my metal ways, same with my sister who would kick me out of the apartment nearly every other day over complete nonsense. And she got into tweak and would just act crazy, even wasting my moms money on tweak. She didn't work, she just leeched off my step dad and would get pissed at me for not having a job while I was still a senior in high skool.

It all came down to me sleeping next to a dumpster for one night, which made me feel like the lowest life-form around. But you know, I had my head up still, having my most valued possession MUSIC, the metal cooled me down and gave me strength. Now I admit, it was an ipod haha! But you have to forgive me, I have no money whatsoever, once I get a job I'm a start buying albums. Plus the ipod was a gift from my mom.

The song 'in my darkest hour' by megadeth was a song I felt so similar with my situation with that it automatically became the song in my head for that time period. I noticed that after all the bs I had to go through, I became stronger, stronger as a person and a stronger devotee to the music I love.

I even go as far to saying that I would die for metal.
Metal gave me the strength I needed when I felt completely isolated from society as I would walk the late late night streets going towards a friends house that might let me stay.
Of course to this day and every day I wake up, metal keeps me alive and happy for the next day. It's the music form that I will never abandon. I'll be banging my head till I'm an old man screaming at kids telling them "NOW you listen to this god dammit!" and blast some hot n' heavy music!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

^ When I've been in dark, dark places, which has really been quite too many times to mention, honestly, I just had prayers, and music. That specific form of artful expression, giving (writing) and receiving (listening).

And to think most people these days would sooner spend $4 on a coffee somewhere then spend anything on something that supports art that has the power to uplift or broaden one's self somehow...sad.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 12:32 am

They say if your Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 810647 floats... you do not have enough iron (metal) in your diet.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Hate Forest

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 am

XYZ wrote:
With some genres, artists' fans come and go. But with metal, fans seem to stick with their bands (ie:Iron Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). Why is that?

I think part of it has to do with metal not being very mainstream. You can't exactly turn on the radio and expect to hear bands like Electric Wizard and all their amazing glory. It's all crappy pop music, which is far more accessible than metal. This, of course, does not just fall in the metal genre because there are other genres that aren't very mainstream, but, since it's a metal forum, I'll just stick to metal here.

The lack of exposure makes us appreciate it more because we have to actually do 'work' to find it, as opposed to just turning on the TV or radio and listening to it and getting any news on it whenever we want. We don't take it for granted.

That's how I see it, anyways.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 am

I agree with this also. And it prevents the radio/media burnout syndrome for the most part. Also, as typically very independent individuals, we like to feel like we're choosing, we have a say, our opinion matters, we don't like people shoving top 20 lists at us and ordering us to like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 11:52 am

Good point. In the 80's when it was cool there were a lot of bandwagon jumpers. You still have some of that with the Hot Topic kids but there's a lot of us that have stood by it for years.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Neuropete wrote:
Good music is good music.

thank you! People may think metal fans are the most rabid but watch out for them country folk. They aint so slouchers!

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Country music is full of rabid fans, but that genre is still very much driven by radio. Metal is a community of sorts....a movement if you will.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Country music is full of rabid fans, but that genre is still very much driven by radio. Metal is a community of sorts....a movement if you will.

Ill give you the latter although country and tailgating/partying/drinking is all intertwined. I love metal but was stuck in an office full of country lovers which gave me an insight on the lengths to which these people go...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
^ When I've been in dark, dark places, which has really been quite too many times to mention, honestly, I just had prayers, and music. That specific form of artful expression, giving (writing) and receiving (listening).

And to think most people these days would sooner spend $4 on a coffee somewhere then spend anything on something that supports art that has the power to uplift or broaden one's self somehow...sad.

Music is very lethargic and metal so many times compliments any mood (with several genres to choose from that comes as no suprise). I thank God everyday for the gift of music (even to those who deny his existence) and metal and hard rock are the best. Automotive tecnology is going to be my job but metal will remain my passion.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:31 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Music is very lethargic and metal so many times compliments any mood (with several genres to choose from that comes as no suprise). I thank God everyday for the gift of music (even to those who deny his existence) and metal and hard rock are the best. Automotive tecnology is going to be my job but metal will remain my passion.

well said!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3