Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?

Go down 
+22
Gilbert
DeathCult
rattpoison
Troublezone
bigjtink
krokus
Sutekh
Orion Crystal Ice
SlaytanicPOWER
Lurideath
sheets
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Lari
stevegarveyfan
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
the sentinel
exact33
mc666
Temple of Blood
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:32 pm

With some genres, artists' fans come and go. But with metal, fans seem to stick with their bands (ie:Iron Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). Why is that?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm not sure they do. Look at Phish, the Dead, etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:30 pm

not sure they do. Slayer still gets sh*t, as does any band with a rabid following. fans are fans. they are going to support the band till the end. Genres do not matter. that goes for metal, country, rap, etc.

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:39 pm

XYZ wrote:
With some genres, artists' fans come and go. But with metal, fans seem to stick with their bands (ie:Iron Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). Why is that?

I think outside of the Top 40 stuff, most fans of music tend to stick with the artists. Look at all the classic rock bands that havent released anything new in decades but still draw thousands...

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:49 pm

I think that music is tied to emotion and for a lot of people the stuff you listen to in your formative years (and the music you turn to when things get $hitty) is the stuff you always will listen to and have a sentimental response to it. Peace.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:57 pm

I was talking to my friend about something like this today, how the cd age is pretty much dying,but a lot of the metal people still buy them. Where as a lot of other genres I think most people just look for that one hit song they heard on the radio. Yes all genres have their fans of course but it always seemed to me like the metal fans are more loyal for their music. I have no idea why that is.

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:23 pm

One reason is that, in a way, being a Metal fan is it's own lifestyle. Metal fans WANT the music...they WANT hard-copy (CD, vinyl, etc)...they WANT the T-Shirt...they WANT the torn ticket stub...they WANT the patches/stickers/pins/etc...it's a badge of honor in some ways to call one's self a Metal Fan. They want their prizes displayed for all to see because they are proud. Pride breeds loyalty.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Metal fans are true music lovers. They are not fair weather music fans that only listen to what's hip and new. As evidenced by this webiste, metal fans are music fans and many (not all) have a wide range of musical interests. Metal and rock in general is swarming with great (and mediocre, let's be fair) musicians unlike "characters" who just sit and look pretty like pop or who can talk and rhyme real fast, wear their pants past they're a$$, and have criminal records like rap (not all, but what image comes to mind when you hear rap?).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm not loyal to metal at all. I started liking it when I was in my teens, and I'm 36 now. My loyalty will last no longer than another 50 or 60 years. Guess I'm a poseur.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:00 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I'm not loyal to metal at all. I started liking it when I was in my teens, and I'm 36 now. My loyalty will last no longer than another 50 or 60 years. Guess I'm a poseur.
I guess if you buy the KISS Kasket, your loyalty will last a lot longer.

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Kiss-4
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 am

exact33 wrote:
XYZ wrote:

I think outside of the Top 40 stuff, most fans of music tend to stick with the artists. Look at all the classic rock bands that havent released anything new in decades but still draw thousands...

Yea, I'm not sure that it's just relevant to the metal genre. Fans of jazz or blues can be hardcore as well. Pop music/Top 40 on the other hand wasn't meant to be enjoyed for the long term. It's specifically made for the here-and-now. It's disposable.

I like to look at pop music as fast food. It seems fine at the moment and in very small doses, but once it's done, you don't relish it and it passes right through you. You can't survive on it.

Heavy metal is a full meal you can sink your teeth into and enjoy long after it's done.

Now I'm hungry.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 am

I believe it was Iron Maiden's manager, Rod Smallwood, who summed up Maiden's enduring popularity (and metal's endurance in general) by saying "Pop music fans buy songs. Metal fans buy bands."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
XYZ wrote:

Yea, I'm not sure that it's just relevant to the metal genre. Fans of jazz or blues can be hardcore as well. Pop music/Top 40 on the other hand wasn't meant to be enjoyed for the long term. It's specifically made for the here-and-now. It's disposable.

Fans of Bluegrass/Americana are pretty hardcore as well...
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 am

I think any genre of music that's marginalized is going to be defined largely by unwavering hardcore fans. As a genre gets more popular, it tends to attract more of those pop fans that are just into that one song or album and regard it as a fad, and then when it recedes those fans drop away and it goes back to the core fanbase. We saw this with metal in the 80s, all those people who were into a few bands for a few years and then dropped all of it in favor of the next big fad, and those are the people that go around today saying, "Hey, remember metal? Wasn't that fun that one time? Too bad it died..." which is laughable to serious metal fans, same as saying "jazz is dead" is ridiculous for real jazz fans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 am

One thing I notice about metal fans is how they advertise more. And when I walk by someone with a Metallica shirt and I have my Maiden shirt or whatever on you give that little recognition. Doesn't matter age or income or anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 am

TheNazgul wrote:
One thing I notice about metal fans is how they advertise more. And when I walk by someone with a Metallica shirt and I have my Maiden shirt or whatever on you give that little recognition. Doesn't matter age or income or anything.

I've been in Walmart wearing my WHITESNAKE T-Shirt and had people come up to me just to say how awesome the shirt was and throw the horns.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Yeah, it does seem that metal fans are the most into the art, whether it's on the album or merchandise. It's nice to have something cool to display beyond the "black and white photo of musician" that's so commonly seen Smile
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:51 pm

I agree, a metal head is its own lifestyle. A metal fan is usually a walking billboard either because of the shirt, or the denim vest with patches, or even now days down to the shoes! Metal has a certain feeling that only a fan will ever understand. There is merchandise galore out there for metal fans much more than any other genre of music.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 pm

The easiest one is to recognize a SLAYER!!!! fan. (Albeit the one below has a PanterA shirt on!)

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Slayerfan

You're walking down the street, you're wearing your chemical warfare nazi skull helmet Slayer shirt, then you see some other dude wearing a shirt with a skull bleeding from the eyes with a gigantic cross lodged in the cranium with a burning church in the background

The second both of you notice that yall have the same kind of shirt on...a SLAYER!!!!!! shirt...

this will occur! (note: they dont have the same shirts on)

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Gutturalsecrete

You cannot even say the word Slayer normally. You must scream it at the top of your lungs as if ripping into somebodies body to tear out their eyeballs.

(This is how to properly say the word Slayer)

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Angela-gossow1%282%29
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:24 pm

At shows here, 'Slayer!' sounds just like 'Skynyrd!', and then the band doesn't know what to do.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I believe it was Iron Maiden's manager, Rod Smallwood, who summed up Maiden's enduring popularity (and metal's endurance in general) by saying "Pop music fans buy songs. Metal fans buy bands."

Great observation by the man who has managed so many of the greats.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:12 pm

sheets wrote:
I think any genre of music that's marginalized is going to be defined largely by unwavering hardcore fans. As a genre gets more popular, it tends to attract more of those pop fans that are just into that one song or album and regard it as a fad, and then when it recedes those fans drop away and it goes back to the core fanbase. We saw this with metal in the 80s, all those people who were into a few bands for a few years and then dropped all of it in favor of the next big fad, and those are the people that go around today saying, "Hey, remember metal? Wasn't that fun that one time? Too bad it died..." which is laughable to serious metal fans, same as saying "jazz is dead" is ridiculous for real jazz fans.

Definitely. Metal is probably the least accepted of all the subcultures attached to music, so whilst you get 'real music' fans in the majority of genres (who will follow bands becuase they like/relate to/appreciate the music... whether it's 'popular' or not), metal is probably still the 'ugly sister' for music fans.

One other facet would be that metal fans are more likely to sit down and pore over album covers/lyrics/shirts than most, whereas the pop listener just wants something catchy for the background... for a while... and will download the mp3. There's no real attachment to the music, whereas it's more overt for the metal fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
XYZ wrote:

I wanted to add Prog Rock fans as well...those fans are rabid...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
XYZ wrote:

I wanted to add Prog Rock fans as well...those fans are rabid...

Yep. I dont think metal is all that exclusive of a club when it comes to rabid fans. I think we think of it moreso because its the music we listen to...

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Some of us are loyal but many have not been loyal to metal. Where are most of the people that follow metal in the 80s??? some stayed loyal (a couple of those guys are on this forum, you know who you are) but many many just listen to metal for some years and then gave up. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?   Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Does Metal Have the Most Loyal Fans?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next