Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?

Go down 
+23
jerseyultifan+
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
XYZ
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Leatherface
Gilbert
Smindas
kmorg
Chairman_Smith
DeathCult
GrandNational
Schbopo
AchrisK
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Empty
PostSubject: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I have heard many musicians who don't play in metal bands are big metal fans. A lot of performers in punk (it's very easy to understand punk performers being into metal, though, since punk and metal have a lot in common), prog rock, indie rock, and alternative rock listen to metal.

Although this would probably surprise a fair number of people here, there are even a lot of rappers out there who love metal as well. And by that, I mean not just the more popular songs by a few "A-list" metal bands, but they actually know many bands in various styles of metal. Some of these rappers are probably as knowledgeable about metal music as many metal performers.

However, does anyone know of metal performers who aren't really into metal music?

I do know of some who almost exclusively focus on certain eras of metal, and know little, if anything, beyond that.

I have heard Dennis Stratton (who played on Iron Maiden's first album) doesn't like metal. He was also reportedly writing material for Maiden (which obviously never made the cut) which was far removed from metal, and this apparently had something to do with his departure from Maiden.

Geoff Tate from Queensrÿche claimed he has never viewed himself as a metalhead. A few people claimed he was blasting metal, although I think the quote was taken out of context. I know Geoff Tate is a fan of a handful of metal bands, and probably likes a fair number of metal bands as a whole. He does claim to have his tastes more rooted in 70s/early 80s rock and prog rock like Pink Floyd than metal, though. I personally believe he likes metal (at least "traditional metal", I presume he dislikes the more extreme stuff, such as death metal), but doesn't subscribe to the metalhead lifestyle so many metal fans and performers claim to at all. It's not like he said, "I HATE METAL MUSIC WITH A RABID VENGEANCE!" He just claims he's never viewed himself as a metalhead, it doesn't mean he hates metal. I know lots of people who listen to a fair number of metal bands, but don't view themselves as metalheads at all.

I also read somewhere that Candlemass' original singer, Johan Längqvist, wasn't a metal fan, but was hired by the band because of his vocal ability. He was just the right man at the right time, more or less.

Anyone know of any metal performers that aren't really metal fans?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Probably the guys in SABBATH.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:40 pm

I work with Rick from Atrophy, and he has made comments about metal band members not liking metal. I am not sure how to take his comments. He still likes some metal, but I would not call him a metalhead. He really doesn't follow the scene at all.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Def Leppard...cuz' they're "More Duran Duran than Black Sabbath"
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:29 pm

I think the main composer for Kekal recently said he no longer listens to metal music. Their recent music is no longer considered metal anymore anyway.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:51 pm

They're metal fans, but when I hung with Obituary, we listened to Hank Willams the whole time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 am

Marty Friedman
Burton C. Bell
Randy Rhoads
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Probably the guys in SABBATH.

Definatley not Geezer or Dio. They're both waaay into metal I think.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 5:00 am

The Thompson brothers in Bride aren't metal fans. They knew very little about the scene, but felt called to witness to the metal crowd, and started playing metal. That is perhaps the reason why they changed so much over the years. They weren't "attached" to the style.

Michael Kiske no longer a metal fan.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 6:33 am

Kiske was the only one I could think of as well.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:39 am

Interesting topic! Metalheads who fake it...
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 5:10 am

Chris Poland.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 am

I would probably put Alex Skolnick into this crowd...even back in the day he was more into Jazz than Metal...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 am

The only one i know for sure is Geoff Tate but i'm positive there are others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:43 am

Scott from Ultimatum isn't a metal fan. I also heard he wears a wig. Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:00 am

Quote :
The Thompson brothers in Bride aren't metal fans. They knew very little about the scene, but felt called to witness to the metal crowd, and started playing metal.

Which to me makes their high water moments even more impressive. To not really love Metal, but to make those early albums and put on the live shows they put on...amazing. I bet they like it some.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am

Gilbert wrote:
Interesting topic! Metalheads who fake it...

I don't know if "fake it" is the right way to put it...I just think that maybe they don't like Metal as much as some other stuff...I don't think you can dislike Metal and be able to make it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 am

Honestly, why the hell does it matter?

I've talked with many musicians over the years who purposely don't listen to the same style of music they perform...you need a way to cleanse the palette. I love Steak, it's my favorite food, but I wouldn't want to eat it for every meal 7 days a week.

I would also consider myself as someone that loves jazz and progressive rock just as much as metal. If I put a band together it would probably be metal, because that's what I'm good at. But my love for the other forms of music wouldn't make the music I write any less "real".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 am

Ronnie Lee Keel = POSER.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 am

I've heard Tom Araya listens to quite a bit of country music. Anyone else hear about this?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am

XYZ wrote:
I've heard Tom Araya listens to quite a bit of country music. Anyone else hear about this?

Dunno about country, but I rememeber years back Tom Araya said in a magazine interview that Paul Simon's GRACELAND was one of his favorite albums of all time. Of course, this led to the letter column being full of people writing in saying "Tom Araya is a f'ing poser!" a few months later. Predictable. Laughing very hard

For me personally, it makes no nevermind to me what my favorite musicians listen to in their free time. Nobody sez you have to be all-metal, all-the-time in order to play metal.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 pm

XYZ wrote:

Ya, I think he also lives on a ranch and raises cattle and things like that.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:10 pm

detuned wrote:
I've talked with many musicians over the years who purposely don't listen to the same style of music they perform...you need a way to cleanse the palette. I love Steak, it's my favorite food, but I wouldn't want to eat it for every meal 7 days a week.

I would also consider myself as someone that loves jazz and progressive rock just as much as metal. If I put a band together it would probably be metal, because that's what I'm good at. But my love for the other forms of music wouldn't make the music I write any less "real".

Good post. I agree 110%.

I love metal moreso than any other form of music, and thus consider myself a metalhead. However, my love for other forms of music (namely goth, industrial and synthpop) almost match my love for metal and at times I wonder if I should even call myself a metalhead at all. But in the end - I am. Simply because metal is #1 for me.

But it's very important to cleanse the palette.

I like your analogy about steak. It's my favorite food too. But I sure do love me some mashed potatoes and other stuff with it. Variety is the spice of life. Even for metalheads.

It's funny. I have a few friends that are 'all metal - all the time'. But they are so narrow-minded with so many aspects of life. The don't even seem to know how militant they come across and how boring they have made life for themselves. People who listen to a variety of music are just much more intelligent all around. Not to mention open-minded all around.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 pm

As metal fans, we appreciate musicians who have a unique or unusual quality about their singing or playing. It is difficult to include unusual elements to one's playing if you listen to a single style all the time. For example, I like to hear metal guitarists who pull jazz elements into their playing. There's no way to do that unless you've listened to jazz. Listening to an eclectic array of music may not make you less of a metal player, but it will make you a better musician, which in my opinion, is infinitely more important.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 pm

The original metal pioneers didn't love metal either... They liked 60's acid rock and blues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next