Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origin of band names...

Go down 
+10
DallasBlack
kmorg
Troublezone
manny
T-Roy
powermacho
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Origin of band names... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I think Uriah Heep is from a Dickens novel.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 pm

tohostudios wrote:

According to Wiki, Uriah Heep is a character in Dickens' "David Copperfield."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

No wonder I can't remember anything useful.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Ah, I knew it was a book Very Happy

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm

tohostudios wrote:

No wonder I can't remember anything useful.

You want to talk about useless info? Check out my ramble in the Comic Book Thread about the various artists who worked on Marvel's "Star Wars" series in the 70s/80s. I can barely remember where I left my glasses or where my car keys are, but I can remember all these names from comics I haven't read in nearly a decade.

It's scary to think how much valuable real estate this sorta stuff takes up in my brain.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I can rattle off entire discographies in chronological order citing all personnel changes but someone asks me my own phone number and I get a brain fart.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:11 pm

In this thread over at RI, someone posted that Edguy got their name from one of the band member's math teachers who was named Edgar Zimmerer.

Still a stupid name for a band.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I thought it came from an episode of The Simpsons. The kids went to a recycling center called "Uriah's Heap". Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_lol

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:34 pm

After being threatened by a lawsuit, Majesty changed their name to Dream Theater after a movie house in Monterey, CA.

Shadow Gallery got their name from the graphic novel V For Vendetta.

James LaBrie was unable to use his name by his record company for his solo album so he just made up the name Mullmuzzler and defines it as: to gag or silence an individual's thought before it can be expressed in any manner.

Judas Priest was taken from a Bob Dylan song.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Quote :
James LaBrie was unable to use his name by his record company for his solo album so he just made up the name Mullmuzzler and defines it as: to gag or silence an individual's thought before it can be expressed in any manner.

Why couldn't he use his name?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Why couldn't he use his name?

Not exactly sure, I just read that somewhere a while back. Probably the record company DT was on (Elektra) wouldn't let him use it because it was on another label (Magna Carta).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:27 pm

Judas Priest-Taken from the Bob Dylan song "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest".
Flotsam and Jetsam-The name of a chapter in one of the LOTR books(I think Two Towers. Cirith Ungol took their name from one of the towers).
Black Sabbath-The name of a Boris Karloff horror movie.
Death Angel-Took their name from a book with the same title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 am

Flotsam and Jetsam is actually boating slang.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:17 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

"I am yet just your humble servant".......that dude was kinda screepy in the book.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:36 am

This site

http://www.rocknworld.com/nameorigins/

Has some entries on the topic, tho I don't know of it's credibility.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 am

Running Wild got their name from the Judas Priest song of the same name.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 am

ultmetal wrote:

That seems to be occurring more frequently within metal.

Through the Eyes of the Dead (derived from "Starring Through the Eyes of the Dead") and Bonded by Blood are two examples
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 am

DeathCult wrote:
Flotsam and Jetsam is actually boating slang.
Yes, but before they took that name for the band, they where called The Dogz. They recorded a demo that had a song on it called "Flotsam and Jetsam". I've not heard the song or lyrics, so and don't know if it's about sea wreckage or not. Not read the books either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 am

Kiss went through a lot of name suggestions, like Albatross and F*ck! Then Paul suggested KISS, and nobody laughed. So they chose that as teir name, because it was short, and becuase it is a universally recognizable word.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 am

The Doors got their name from two sources 'The Doors of Perception' a book written by Aldous Huxley and a poem by William Blake titled 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:32 am

ultmetal wrote:

Highland Glory took their name from a Running Wild song Very Happy When one of the band members suggested the name, Highlander, the guitar player was reminded of the Running Wild song, so they went with that instead.

I wonder if Vicious Rumors are named after the Alice Cooper song, from Special Forces?

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origin of band names...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2