Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origin of band names...

Go down 
+10
DallasBlack
kmorg
Troublezone
manny
T-Roy
powermacho
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Origin of band names... Empty
PostSubject: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 1:43 pm

This was posted on another board but thought it was cool.

Quote :
From Bizarre News:

+---------- Bizarre Origins of Rock Band Names ------------+

The Bay City Rollers: Came up with their name by sticking a
pin in a map of the world. It landed on Bay City, Michigan.

Buffalo Springfield: Members of the group were stumped for
a name. A member of the band was looking out their manager's
window at a construction site in Hollywood, when he spotted
a steamroller with the brand name "Buffalo Springfield."

Iron Maiden: A medieval torture device.

Jethro Tull: Named after the 18th century British inventor
of the seed drill.

Pink Floyd: An amalgam of two American blues artists, Pink
Anderson and Floyd Council.

Steely Dan: Based on the name of a dildo in William
Burrough's novel, The Naked Lunch.

Three Dog Night: It is a practice of Australian aborigines
to sleep with three dogs on particularly cold nights.

UB40: Named after the British unemployment benefit form.

The Velvet Underground: Lou Reed lifted the name from a
title of a cheap paperback novel

Founding member John Carrol and Robert Gutierrez came up with Ultimatum. I think it came from Joshua 24:15 in the bible, which says, Choose this day whom you will serve.

Metallica stole their name from a friend that had a fanzine. Lars Ulrich's friend Ron Quintana proposed two names for his magazine, "Metal Mania" and "Metallica." Lars convinced Ron to name the fanzine Metal Mania and uses the name "Metallica" for his band.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Seems relevent...

http://www.cracked.com/article_17423_12-bizarre-true-stories-behind-famous-band-names.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15118_25-most-ridiculous-band-names-in-rock-history.html

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:23 pm

It's interesting to hear some of those, funny too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Ugly Kid Joe's name started as a goof. They were originally called "S.W.A.T." (which stood for Suburban White Alcoholic Trash), and were booked to open a show for Pretty Boy Floyd. They wanted to change their name because they thought it would look funny to see "Pretty Boy Floyd" and "Ugly Kid Joe" next to each other on the club's marquee. Supposedly the show was cancelled, but the new name stuck.

Tad Morose got their name from a Michael Schenker interview one of the band members read in a magazine. The writer said that he was initially nervous to interview Schenker because of his rep for sometimes being unfriendly and hard on journalists, but he said "he wasn't that bad, just a tad morose perhaps."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:38 pm

If I remember correctly, Joey Kramer invented the name Aerosmith back in high school. He just thought it up while doodling on a note-book or something and thought it sounded like a cool name for a band. He claims it was not inspired by the Sinclair Lewis book 'Arrowsmith'.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 pm

I always wondered where Tad Morose got their name.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Even though everyone thinks Nevermore got their from the Edgar Allen Poe book "The Raven," Warrel Dane sez he was listening to the self-titled Trouble album (1990) while drunk one night and when Eric Wagner sang "Nevermore!" in the song "Black Shapes of Doom," it just jumped out of him.

tohostudioos wrote:
I always wondered where Tad Morose got their name.

I read that in Metal Maniacs a couple of years back. The guy being interviewed (I think it was "Krunt," their guitarist) says it's the most frequently asked question whenever he does interviews. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 am

this topic is interesting. I wonder how ramones came out
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:28 am

powermacho wrote:
I wonder how ramones came out

I can answer that. During his Beatles days, Paul McCartney used to sign in to hotels under the fake name "Paul Ramon" (to avoid being mobbed by fans/reporters/etc.) The guys in the Ramones were all big Beatles fans so they just added an "e" to "Ramon" and there you have it.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
powermacho wrote:
I wonder how ramones came out

I can answer that. During his Beatles days, Paul McCartney used to sign in to hotels under the fake name "Paul Ramon" (to avoid being mobbed by fans/reporters/etc.) The guys in the Ramones were all big Beatles fans so they just added an "e" to "Ramon" and there you have it.

I heard it was "Pablo Ramone", but yes, same difference.

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 am

ORACLE - was chosen for it's definition: "one through whom a diety is believed to speak"

TRAMPLED UNDERFOOT - Led Zep song...it was either this or THUNDER RISING (a Gary Moore tune)

LINE OF FIRE - a Journey song title...seemed to fit the music...
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

http://www.cracked.com/article_17423_12-bizarre-true-stories-behind-famous-band-names.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15118_25-most-ridiculous-band-names-in-rock-history.html
"Depeche Mode is an English electronic band formed in the 1980s. Hugely popular around the world, they've had only modest success in the states, primarily because American's have generally been resistant to electronic genres, preferring simpler songs about being hot for teacher."

DAMN STRAIGHT! I'll take that as a compliment! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 am

T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

"Depeche Mode is an English electronic band formed in the 1980s. Hugely popular around the world, they've had only modest success in the states, primarily because American's have generally been resistant to electronic genres, preferring simpler songs about being hot for teacher."

DAMN STRAIGHT! I'll take that as a compliment! Origin of band names... 918552

Modest success!!!! I would like to have that type modest success in the States, they have had albums go platinum here, play arenas and big theatres on this side of the pond, and their back catalog receives plenty of airplay!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 am

manny wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

Modest success!!!! I would like to have that type modest success in the States, they have had albums go platinum here, play arenas and big theatres on this side of the pond, and their back catalog receives plenty of airplay!
No kidding. I recall hearing everybody and their brother getting into them when I was a kid. surprised
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:40 am

manny wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

Their "Violator" album was way more than modest...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am

manny wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

Quote :
simpler songs about being hot for teacher.

Eh, I'd fall into that category. I don't think I could name one Depeche Mode song.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 am

Only Depeche Mode song I know is Personal Jesus.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:49 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seems relevent...

Quote :
simpler songs about being hot for teacher.

Eh, I'd fall into that category. I don't think I could name one Depeche Mode song.

"Hot for Teacher" was from an album with a lot of (electronic keyboard) right? Origin of band names... Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:49 am

I think "Enjoy the Silence" is the only Depeche Mode song I know. And that's mainly cuz I own two CDs with cover versions of it (Squealer and Lacuna Coil)

...waitasec, wasn't "People Are People" Depeche Mode? I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I think "Enjoy the Silence" is the only Depeche Mode song I know. And that's mainly cuz I own two CDs with cover versions of it (Squealer and Lacuna Coil)

Oh yeah, I know those two as well.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Policy of Truth was a pretty big song by them too. Manson did a cover of their "Personal Jesus" song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 am

tohostudios wrote:
Only Depeche Mode song I know is Personal Jesus.

Ok, I stand corrected. I'm vaugely aware of that song.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

yes that is also them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

yes that is also them.

You ever heard Atrocity's cover of that song? It's on their "WERK 80 II" album of cover songs. Freakin' hilarious.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Enola merry - German band named after the plane that bombed Hiroshima.

Artch - Originally named ARCH, but when thy asked a friend to design a logo forn them, he misspelled it. Later they created the acronym Another Return To Church Hill

AC/DC - took the name from their mothers sowing machine.

Uriah Heep is from LOTR, right?

How many bands uses names from Tolkien?

PostSubject: Re: Origin of band names...   Origin of band names... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origin of band names...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next