Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project

Go down 
+7
Wargod
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
exact33
manny
James B.
MetalGuy71
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Empty
PostSubject: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Aerosmith's guitarist Joe Perry was on The Eddie Trunk Radio show last week and while putting to rest any rumors of the demise of Aerosmith ("We're just taking a break till Steven heals"), he revealed that his new solo album, tenatively coming out early/mid October, will be under the name of the Joe Perry Project and called Have Guitar, Will Travel. Joe will provide lead vocals on a few songs, but has also enlisted some guy from Germany, whose name escapes me, to sing on a few tracks as well. Drummer Ben "Bun" Tileston, from TAB the Band (Joe's sons' band) plays on the album and will also tour.

Since Aerosmith is on hiatus, Joe said he will be taking this new incarnation of the Joe Perry Project on a small club tour, playing some classic Aerosmith tunes, old JPP songs, new material & maybe some other covers. Sounds pretty cool to me.

EDIT: Conflicting reports say the album could be out either Oct. 20th or early November.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Should of gotten some old JPP alumni, now that would of been kewl.

Hope it is as good as the older JPP stuff

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Quote :
Should of gotten some old JPP alumni, now that would of been kewl.

Are any of them still alive or playing music?

EDIT: Mr. Wiki Pedia tells us that original JPP bassist David Hull filled in for a sick Tom Hamilton during Aerosmith's 2006 tour. So there you go.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Cool those original 3 Joe perry Project albums were all classics, I am looking forward to the album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I liked his last solo cd as well.

Alex

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 11:08 pm

I guess this has to do with Aerosmith being on hold from the Tyler accident.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 am

Troublezone wrote:

probably

hope he tours some clubs before Aerosmith gets the money machine rolling again.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:54 am

Troublezone wrote:

That's exactly it. He said he was working on his solo album during his downtime with no real time table for release. Then when Steven got hurt and they cancelled the tour, he pushed up the production on the solo album and decided to tour with it.

I'd love to see Joe in a small club venue. He's one of my favorite guitarists.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Bump for new info...

Have Guitar, Will Travel will be released Oct. 6th. The cover looks like this...

THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project JoePerry_haveGuitar

More info can be found here if ya want it...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=126735

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Unless I hear some really amazing samples first, I'm not even going to bother. I didn't like his last album at all.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:51 pm

I love me's some JPP if not more than Aerosmith in some instances!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 6:45 am

Joe Perry does not sound to happy:

NEW YORK — Joe Perry is angry that Aerosmith has been sidelined due to Steven Tyler's tour injury.The
group had to cancel their summer tour after the frontman suffered
injuries when he fell off the stage during a concert in August."The tour was building up to be a great tour, and I was pretty (upset), you know," Perry said in an interview on Wednesday.The
guitarist hasn't even spoken to Tyler recently: "I haven't talked to
him in over five weeks. I don't know what's going on with him. I hear
he's getting better, but I don't know I really don't know what's going
on with him.The 61-year-old Tyler fell off the stage during an
Aug. 5 performance in South Dakota. He broke his left shoulder and
needed 20 stitches in his head. Tyler was ordered by doctors to take
the time to properly recuperate from his injuries."I was pretty
(upset), because right before that, he had pulled a muscle in his leg.
And we had to take two weeks off and we missed probably seven dates,"
Perry said.Even though Aerosmith is idle, Perry has been keeping
busy promoting his upcoming album, "Have Guitar, Will Travel." It's the
fifth record for his solo endeavor, The Joe Perry Project. Although the
CD was already in the works, he put his full focus on it after Tyler
was injured. It is out Oct. 6."The bottom line is that every hole that Aerosmith left I filled," he said of the CD.Aerosmith
has been together since the early 1970s, and Perry believes they'll be
back in action again: "One thing I do know, there's still life left in
the old band."Still, Perry couldn't hide his feelings regarding Tyler."All
I know is he's got to get his act together. I mean, he and I haven't
written a song together alone in the same room in over ten years, so
there's been some changes in paradigm of what Aerosmith is," he said.A representative for Aerosmith did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 am

That's an interesting article. When I heard Joe live on Eddie Trunk's radio show, he didn't sound as bitter as he comes off here. He talked very matter-of-factly about Steven's injury, working on his solo album and didn't say anything anything about the song writing process (or lack thereof).

I guess if enough people start asking him the same questions, you start opening up a little more and more truth seeps out. THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project 589207

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 am

I had read that too - he seems PISSED at Steven!!!! Maybe there is some truth to Steven and the alcohol/drug rumors!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 am

Psyched about some Joe Perry Project.

Perry's comments about Tyler weren't too good though.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 pm

I hope Steven Tyler is not back on the drugs and alcohol! He isn't Keith Richards.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 12:49 pm

manny wrote:
I hope Steven Tyler is not back on the drugs and alcohol! He isn't Keith Richards.

Maybe he could see the same doctor Keith used for the blood replacement therapy!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 6:47 am

I thought this was an interesting interview:

On Tuesday, September 22, Jed Gottlieb of BostonHerald.com conducted an interview with AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

BostonHerald.com: Your interview with Associated Press (see video below) got fans worried. What's the real story about the future of AEROSMITH?

Joe Perry: AEROSMITH
is taking a breather. We had to postpone some dates at the end of two
or three tours and that kind of pushed our touring problems into the
forefront and didn't give us a lot of time to make a studio record.
After having to cancel this last tour we need to stand back, take a
deep breath and let everybody come back down to earth. We're going on
hiatus like most bands do, we're not kids anymore we don't need to
pound the pavement every day but we got locked into that after
postponing gigs and having to make them up.

BostonHerald.com: So did that Associated Press story exaggerate your frustration with Steven Tyler?

Joe Perry:
Sometimes certain things come out. I always try to be as honest as I
can and that's it. I stand by everything I said. In the context of a
longer interview it probably would have seemed less harsh, but it is
still the truth. I'm still getting over the fact that tour was
canceled. It was the best one we'd put together in such a long time.

BostonHerald.com: What surprised me the most was hearing that you and Steven haven't been writing together for some time. Is that really true? Nothing in a decade or so?

Joe Perry:
Relationships go through changes, songwriting partnerships go through
changes. When we started using outside songwriters it definitely helped
with our success in the '80s and '90s. I don't know, maybe it got too
comfortable to rely on that. I don't think anybody really cares who
writes the songs as long as they sound like AEROSMITH songs and, at least to me, there have been times when we drifted away from (sounding like AEROSMITH). I don't mind using outside songwriters but I'd still like to see an AEROSMITH where the core of the music comes from the guys in the band.

BostonHerald.com: Will that happen? Will there even be another AEROSMITH record?

Joe Perry: Maybe we have three more records in us. Maybe we have [between] five (and) seven years of touring.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 am

manny wrote:

Joe Perry:
Relationships go through changes, songwriting partnerships go through
changes. When we started using outside songwriters it definitely helped
with our success in the '80s and '90s. I don't know, maybe it got too
comfortable to rely on that. I don't think anybody really cares who
writes the songs as long as they sound like AEROSMITH songs and, at least to me, there have been times when we drifted away from (sounding like AEROSMITH). I don't mind using outside songwriters but I'd still like to see an AEROSMITH where the core of the music comes from the guys in the band.

That's a "Well Duh" moment if ever i've heard one, it's taken Joe how long to figure this out?

Maybe with Joe's sudden revelation Aerosmith can get their sh*t together for a great album, because for presicely the reasons he outlined above Aerosmith have been on their knees creatively for the past 15 years..........and the 10 years before that treading water!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 am

Anyone pick up Have Guitar Will Travel? It's certainly not a Joe Perry Project album. The Project was a guitar heavy rock band that didn't sound too far off from early Aerosmith. This album is a Joe Perry solo album in which he experiments quite a bit with style far outside of Aerosmith, though most of it would still be considered rock. I'd be hard pressed to call this hard rock.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

No takers huh?

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 10:43 pm

From what I've heard of it (which is not much) I found it to be somewhat of a detour for Mr. Perry, I need to invest in this CD. I would like to see a Brad Whitford aldum, I think he is vastly underrated and better than Joe (apples & oranges I know).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 10:23 am

akeldama wrote:
From what I've heard of it (which is not much) I found it to be somewhat of a detour for Mr. Perry, I need to invest in this CD. I would like to see a Brad Whitford aldum, I think he is vastly underrated and better than Joe (apples & oranges I know).

Brad Whitford did make an albbum with Derek St. Holmes in 1980 simply titled Whitford/Holmes which is really not that bad, just straight ahead rock songs. If you have not heard it, you might want to check it out.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 am

Actually, there are a couple songs on this new CD that remind me of the material from Draw the Line. The production is really geasy, and not so pristine like Perry's last solo CD.

PostSubject: Re: THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project   THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THe Return Of The Joe Perry Project
Page 1 of 1