Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath

Go down 
+27
MoonChild
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Selvmord
Onkel Ben
DeathCult
sam
JBall_Z
Smindas
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
mez
Am I Evil?
thejokeriv
tohostudios
MetalFRO
Svengo
candlemass
XYZ
nevermore
ultmetal
mc666
tul
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 11:44 am

Quote :
I actually hope they don't do anything together...maybe if it was 1995 I would feel differently, but the ship has sailed methinks.

That's how I feel. Let it go already.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:50 pm

I really hope this settles it and people can move on. I would not like to see any new Sabbath material with Ozzy - his voice has really gone to hell and he would probably not do the material any justice. And Martin has already said he would not work with Iommi as Sabbath. That leaves Hughes but that would be a bad route to go IMO. With Dio's death I think we should lay Sabbath to rest.

With that said - GIVE US the third boxset with the Martin-era and Gillian albums remastered with bonus tracks (of which there is a considerable amount of). Add the Cross Purposes live CD with a DVD. Make it a small run if you need to but get those albums out again. This era of Sabbath has some fantastic underrated majestic heavy metal tunes - it needs to be heard again.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 am

Ozzy Osourne and Tony Iommi have issued the a joint statement regarding the lawsuit between them over the use of the Black Sabbath name. Here is their joint statment:
"Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi of the legendary heavy metal band Black Sabbath have amicably resolved their problems over the ownership of the Black Sabbath name and court proceedings in New York have been discontinued. Both parties are glad to put this behind them and to cooperate together for the future and would like it to be known that the issue was never personal, it was always business."
The original Sabbath lineup of Ozzy, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward has not toured together since the summer of 2005, and last convened for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in early 2006.
In a recent interview with Sunday Mercury, Iommi said that he didn't rule out another reunion with Osbourne. Following the death of singer Ronnie James Dio in May, with whom Iommi had been working recently in the Sabbath offshoot Heaven & Hell, Iommi told Sunday Mercury, "I spoke to Ozzy while I was in Los Angeles after Ronnie's funeral . . . Ozzy and I have a complicated relationship but we've always kept in touch, no matter what else might have been going on. Would I play with Ozzy again? Who knows? It's weird with me and Ozzy."
Iommi added, "There can be all sorts of smurf poo going on but when we talk, it's like nothing bad has ever happened."
The Pulse of Radio asked Ozzy if there was once again a chance for the original Sabbath lineup to get together again. "Well, I never say never," he said. "I mean, I've got a few ideas, but we'll see what happens, you know. We did try and do another album, but we've all changed so much and it's — if you don't do an album that blows the doors off the last one that we did together, then it's gonna be looked upon as a joke, you know."
The band did try to record a new album 11 years ago, their first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs.
Ozzy released a new solo album, called "Scream," on June 22nd and will headline Ozzfest later this summer.
Osbourne filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.
The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.
Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the Black Sabbath trademark after he quit the band in 1979.
Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:58 am

Greed Greed Greed

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 am

Nice to see things have worked out for both parties. Or at the very least, both parties came to their senses.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 am

There was no reason for Iommi to compromise or negotiate anything but with the sad passing of Dio, it was inevitable Sharon and Tommy would come to an "agreement" over the rights of Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

Even if the Osbournes did not sue, I still do not believe Iommi would have resurrected the name Black Sabbath anyway unless it included Ozzy, when they reunited the Dio line up they (Dio, Iommi, and Butler) agreed to the name Heaven and Hell because they did not want fans to be confused they were seeing the original line up that had been doing summer tours almost ten years at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Ozzy took over quality control of the merchandise, tours and recordings? Can someone explain that?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Sharon took over quality control of the merchandise, tours and recordings? Can someone explain that?

fixed!!

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Probably very true.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Probably very true.

unfortunately. It will be interesting to see where H&H go forward from here.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Probably very true.

According to Iommi it is over, with Dio gone so is H & H
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm

H&H's going nowhere. The tribute concert and then that's it. Vinny's out of a job. Sabbath marches on.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:56 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Probably very true.

According to Iommi it is over, with Dio gone so is H & H

Thats probably for the best.

Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I don't care about Ozzy in Sabbath what I would like is for them to remaster the non Ozzy and Dio albums, but if Ozzy (SHARON) has a say in Sabbath quality control then all Sharon (ozzy) will care about is what it in it for her, and those album being reissued will do little for her. I think she just wants to tie up the Sabbath name so it can only be used with Ozzy in the band, but what about Martin he did 5 studio albums, two more than Dio, 3 less than Ozzy with Sabbath what if Iommi wanted him back I guess they have to call the band Headless Cross, I think it is stupid Iommi has been in Sabbath non stop it is his band
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:36 pm

I think the decision for the name Black Sabbath to be used only with Ozzy was an argument Iommi made prior to the lawsuit, by all rights the Dio lead line up could have rightfully called itself Black Sabbath but he choose not to due to the fact that the original Black Sabbath were still touring.

Iommi has nothing negative to say about Tony Martin but it is doubtful these two will work together again, at least not under the Black Sabbath banner.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 4:04 pm

I think it is best to just the the Black Sabbath name rest and let Iommi go out and do his own thing.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Well according to the original 4 Sabbath guys, Black Sabbath is THEM 4! Sure there were other musicians and singers throughout time, but to them, Sabbath is the original 4. I somewhat agree with that, but its such a complicated thing.

Now if the original 4 don't record soon, then I will say its over forever. The guys are getting older and Ozzy's voice won't be able to hold up much longer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Quote :
The guys are getting older and Ozzy's voice won't be able to hold up much longer.

Ozzy is falling apart... but Geezer and Tony are doing just fine.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 am

Here's a interesting interview with Bill Ward:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=143288

Quote :
Sonic Excess: BLACK SABBATH wrote new material, but nothing came of it.
Will those recordings ever see the light of day, and if not, can you
tell us SABBATH-heads what SABBATH album it's comparable to?

Ward: Well, it is true that there is a lot of material written and
stored away in a very safe place. I don't know what SABBATH album it
would be comparable to. We did all these jams in the spring, I think it
was seven years ago. The songs have some brilliant riffs, obviously
from Tony [Iommi, guitar], and my drumming has changed a little bit. My
approach and Geezer's [Butler, bass] approach was a bit different in
supporting Tony, I thought. Oz [Ozzy Osbourne, vocals] was cutting
across with some really nice things as well. I think it was more
mature, because we are more mature, even though we are kids at heart. I
don't think I can compare it to any SABBATH album, but it sounded
really, really, strong.

Sonic Excess: Why was it never released?

Ward:
Politics. (laughs)

Sonic Excess: Well, I don't want to pry to much then, but do you think the songs will ever see the light of day?

Ward: I think the songs that we have, and there were quite a lot of
them, they ought to [be released]. They deserve to see the light of
day, but whether they will or not, I don't know. It would be very sad
not to let them see the light of day, because there are some really
good foundations and grooves, some real nice chops. It was our band
playing. To me, in my opinion, they're perfectly great enough to make
another BLACK SABBATH album. The music is very current. It's us, 40
years later slamming it out, ya know?

I had no idea they had finished so many songs... Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4